Gibson Brands Forums

335 or 175? I cannot decide!!

Alex Hunter

Hi, I'm in the process of trying to sell a pretty rare PRS, but when I do, I'm not sure what to put the money towards... I play jazz and fusion (starting to study/play much more straight-up jazz as of right now).

Thing is, I know the 335 will be more versatile in case I want to play rock or something else on it, but the 175 will probably have the better all-around jazz tone. That fully-acoustic, hollow sound.

Also, even though I've played some singlecut archtops in shops, I can't really judge if the single cutaway would really bother me in the long run or not since I have never owned one and used one for a long period of time.

Any suggestions?

Hello, I own an ES-335 and used to own an ES-165. I know the 165 had just one pickup so it is not entirely the same as an 175. I find in my case, playing in a jazz fusion band that the 335 works much better. If you use any overdrive or distortion the 335 will handle it much better than the 175. The 335 to me is also much more comfortable to play and has easier upper fret access. You can't go wrong with either one but the 335 is more versatile.

175 is much better. It's far lighter & might just be the most balanced & comfortable guitar ever when strapped on.

You will also set yourself apart from the herd by playing a single cutaway, and you'll look cooler too. People talk up the fret access on 335s but nobody plays much above the 15th.

I've played my 175 in a number of insane rock and roll bands. I have also played it in a couple of country bands, and I play blues most of the time. I stink at jazz but the 175 sounds fantastic for it. And you can shred on them like Les Pauls if you want to. The 175 is a versatile guitar.

If you're worried about the 175 feeding back when playing loud, I will tell you I have played my 175 through 2 Marshall stacks and 2 Fender Twins simultaneously - the size of the room determines whether the guitar feeds back more than the size of the amp. Of course if you walk right up to the amp and hold the guitar just so, yes it will resonate with feedback. And so will my V, SG, or LP.

In my experience, "centerblock" semi-hollow Gibsons are no better or worse than the other concerning resonant feedback (I also play a 135 & 137 regularly). If it's a small room and you are stubbornly determined to play loud, you must turn one pickup's volume to zero and use the toggle as a kill switch, or use a pedal to kill your signal to the amp. If you play too loud for the room, very few guitars will be quieted by a simple palm mute.

I own a historic '59 ES-335 and a ES-175 single pickup reissue. If you are looking to play only straightahead bebop you would want the 175. If you want a guitar that can play both styles the 335 can do that. Bottom line is that either say you can't go wrong! If you want to be a bebopper get the 175. If you fashion yourself as the next Larry Carlton or Lee Ritenour get the 335. You WILL fall in love with both of them either way you cannot go wrong! jim in Maine

I play jazz and fusion (starting to study/play much more straight-up jazz as of right now).

Thing is, I know the 335 will be more versatile in case I want to play rock or something else on it, but the 175 will probably have the better all-around jazz tone. That fully-acoustic, hollow sound.

Also, even though I've played some singlecut archtops in shops, I can't really judge if the single cutaway would really bother me in the long run or not since I have never owned one and used one for a long period of time.

Any suggestions?

The 175.

Archtop guitars are usually single cutaway or none. I've owned, played and gigged single-cuts since...1979? The 175 is strictly speaking not an archtop as the top is laminated. But it is almost twice as deep as a 335 and was good enough for Joe Pass on the 'Virtuoso' vol 1 and 4 LPs, as well as almost every other American jazz player of note.

I just bought one. So I say 175 all the way.

I have both and they are totally (IMO) different animals unless you're playing at home, then things like volume don't come into play as much but... Steve Howe from Yes played at some tremendous volumes in the day so feedback can be minimized or as he did, eliminate it. As others have said, the 175 is VERY versatile but...

If you play a lot on the second octave, the 175 may bother you at some point I think, if you want less feedback the 335 will likely be better there.

Fusion will be louder than dinner theater Jazz so... I say get another temporary job to be able to get one of each :-) Solved, now what colors? :-)

More straight-ahead jazz...ES-175. And make it the single neck pickup 1959 Reissue version.

The ES-175 is a chunky monkey compared to the ES-335. It is 3 3/8th" thick in the rim and has a 16" lower bout. You either deal with it or you hate it. I suggest that you try one out before splashing your cash out on one.

For a hollow-body acoustic sound with flatwounds and a wooden floating bridge with wooden saddle, an ES-175 1959 Reissue is tops. Keep it simple, keep it pure. For versatility, a double-pickup ES-175 with the TOM bridge works well.

One thing to bear in mind is that a floating bridge almost demands a 0.012p, 0.016p, 0.022w, 0.030w, 0.040w, 0.050w set of strings or greater. It requires sufficient string pressure to hold it down on the top or it will shift. So, you gotta eschew 10s or 9s. 11s may just cut it if you are light with your touch. You won't be doing a lot of bending. Some pin the floating bridge down to the top. I feel that takes away the charm and essence of a floating bridge archtop. If you're going to do that and a lot of bending, you may as well go with the ES-335.

You can play jazz on anything, even a solid-body plank such as the Les Paul Standard (which Les Paul famously did). But there is something ineluctable about an ES-175 for jazz that encourages you to dedicate yourself to the form.

So, between the two, an ES-175 for me although having it and the ES-335 would be really really nice!

I've had both. Eventually sold my 175. Still have the 335. For me, the 335 is by far the most versatile electric I've ever owned.

However, these are SO different that this is not a choice to be decided based on others' opinions. Hence, every other post is a vote for the other. Both are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...

Split the difference and get a short-neck ES330. Grant Green made his sound great. As others have said, if you like bebop--ES175. Scofield float your boat? Get the 335.

I'll second this. A 330 will give you a P90 hollow body sound but most of all an awful lot lighter in wait. If you buy a 60s model you have an investment too.

... Also, even though I've played some singlecut archtops in shops, I can't really judge if the single cutaway would really bother me in the long run or not since I have never owned one and used one for a long period of time.

Any suggestions?

This is the only point I can contribute to with respect to my own experiences. These are restricted to solidbodies with the neck/body junction at higher frets typically and one semi-solid, but so far I can tell that one cutaway does it for me. Moreover, talking about SGs and 335s and my own Weimann semi-solid, the cutaway on the bass side is not really helpful since the strap is in the way. I think the second cutaway on these guitars is more for looks than for playability. Tony Iommi had the upper strap knob set to the rib of the upper horn on his SGs, and I would have it set to its back if I would have a custom SG built. However, this wouldn't be a good option on a hollow or semi-hollow guitar.

This is why many guitarists become collectors... [biggrin]

There is much diversity in the 'hollow' and 'semi hollow' area of guitar design...

Each having it's own features and strengths...appealing to players in different ways

The ES 335 and ES 330 are ergonomically virtually identical, with different tone pallets each...easier to play standing up... [thumbup]

The ES 175 has more history jazz-wise and is the best selling jazz guitar of all time, with a long unbroken production run... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm in the process of trying to sell a pretty rare PRS, but when I do, I'm not sure what to put the money towards... I play jazz and fusion (starting to study/play much more straight-up jazz as of right now).

Any suggestions?

Those are two really different instruments. The feedback issue is less w/ the 335. It'll obviously depend on what you need / want and can afford. The sound is close - - real close, and playability will depend on how each feels when you play it.

I owned a '60's 175 since new,and it was just ok, but I never gigged with it. I now own an L-4,and love it. My advice would be -- if you decide on the 175, try try try an L-4. The major difference is the solid spruce top, and ebony fingerboard - - which, IHMO you can definitely hear. And is it better? MHO Absolutely. Solid wood vs laminated - buy solid if you can.

AND -- the market doesn't like L-4's as much as 175's so you get more for your money. Again, even if you find a 175 and L-4, and they're close to even money & condition, buy the L-4. More bang for the buck for less money - - a no brainer . MHO Having owned both, I'd even pay a premium for the L-4 - - and you probably won't have to.

Good luck.

Dennis

Those are two really different instruments. The feedback issue is less w/ the 335. It'll obviously depend on what you need / want and can afford. The sound is close - - real close, and playability will depend on how each feels when you play it.

I owned a '60's 175 since new,and it was just ok, but I never gigged with it. I now own an L-4,and love it. My advice would be -- if you decide on the 175, try try try an L-4. The major difference is the solid spruce top, and ebony fingerboard - - which, IHMO you can definitely hear. And is it better? MHO Absolutely. Solid wood vs laminated - buy solid if you can.

AND -- the market doesn't like L-4's as much as 175's so you get more for your money. Again, even if you find a 175 and L-4, and they're close to even money & condition, buy the L-4. More bang for the buck for less money - - a no brainer . MHO Having owned both, I'd even pay a premium for the L-4 - - and you probably won't have to.

Good luck.

Dennis

Ditto on the L4CES but I'm biased. I do like both though. :rolleyes:

tmpphpn7yndi_zps1ac3bdf7.jpg

Archived