Gibson Brands Forums

Bird in a Tree

E-minor7

in my old friend Ed's garden. The man who caught my first Gibson - a square late 70's J-50 - in midair when some raw suburban types kicked it out of my hands while sitting down street busking around 1980. Visited him out of town Saturday evening and made a little recording of Tull's Reasons For Waiting. Spent the night there and took a few pics today.

Wildlife meets Midtjuli-201310b.jpg wildlife

Notice the golden tr-cover. . . . .

Very sweet indeed!

How about posting a link to the new recording?

Haven't recieved the MP3 yet - he wanted to fiddle a bit around with what we got down. But maybe later if there something to it.

In fact we still need a few additional tracks.

in my old friend Ed's garden. The man who caught my first Gibson - a square late 70's J-50 - in midair when some raw suburban types kicked it out of my hands while sitting down street busking around 1980. Visited him out of town Saturday evening and made a little recording of Tull's Reasons For Waiting. Spent the night there and took a few pics today.

Wildlife meets Midtjuli-201310b.jpg wildlife

Notice the golden tr-cover. . . . .

Well what can I say ... [love]

Recieved a halfway result from the weekend game - gives an idea about the Bird as a strummer.

We haven't quite found the right sound yet, but I think the track shows some of the essential virtues of what I see/hear as classic/basic Bird.

I can hear why I bought this ex.

You'll notice the trebs somewhat withheld by the buffalohorn and wood pins (E-B and G)

- in fact there also duct tape under the the G, which tend to get out of balance boomy when fingerpicked.

The very fragile vox in the B-parts will be replaced - with what I still don't know.

Earphones recommended -

https://soundcloud.c...ons-for-waiting

EM, does the heavy metal torque rod cover affect the 'honey-ness' of the tone? I know it is primarily a bling-thing, but wondered if it had any affect on the sound?

Not as far as I know – of course it adds more mass to the head and some people talk about heavy tuners altering the sound.

Admit I can't say anything on this.

I'm on the learning curve with this sweetheart and it's only the second recording – done with another engineer in a totally different setting.

These are not at all new strings and I'm a bit amazed how roaring the guitar comes rolling. Crisp and glazed to these ears tho.

Just ordered 2 sets of Masterbuilts to compare with what I remember from when I got it.

That will be interesting. The strings now are Martin SP's bronze 12-54 – the Masterbuilts only go 12-53.

Do you miss nectar ?

My tv, unlike my other guitars,sounds better every time I pick her up. Would be afraid to add that trc. String changes stressful enough!

Magical guitars if you find a keeper.

Luckily there's no risk in experimenting with tr-covers.

Would like to hear a sample of yours, needless to say -

Recieved a halfway result from the weekend game - gives an idea about the Bird as a strummer.

We haven't quite found the right sound yet, but I think the track shows some of the essential virtues of what I see/hear as classic/basic Bird.

I can hear why I bought this ex.

You'll notice the trebs somewhat withheld by the buffalohorn and wood pins (E-B and G)

- in fact there also duct tape under the the G, which tend to get out of balance boomy when fingerpicked.

The very fragile vox in the B-parts will be replaced - with what I still don't know.

Earphones recommended -

https://soundcloud.c...ons-for-waiting

What are you tuned to here? Got quite a bit of fret buzz going on, so I assume you are tuned down a bit. I like the arrangement a lot, and as usual, your vocals are just about perfect.

Hep for all the positive words fellow-forumites. I will post the second stage once we're done after another gathering in September or something.

Time to admit I'm a bit of a buzz-man – always wanted about 5 percent sitar in the sound.

When I talked to the tech in the store recently after having made some adjustments myself, he said, Yes, I see where to goin', but compared to an objective set-up you are far off.

"Objective !? , , , but I'm a subject with an huge S. . . ", I told him as we both smiled.

Well,a bit buzz isn't as unusualt and forbidden as some of you folks think.

Listen to White Snake in Gibb's 'Bird in good hands' thread the other day. Buzzzzzzzzz, for more than a few yen there. . . .

I have 5 tests for my Bird (set-up) to pass -

1 - I measure the midtone 5 percent sitar on the F and the C chord inthe Angie-intro. The dang-dang – dang-dangs musn't be clean, neither unbearable rattling.

2 - I seek a certain bloomy softness in the bass-string, which must roar when punched. I want to be able to play with that balance in the right hand.

3 - I have a left-hand figure on the 4th -5th fret I use in a song which must be as easy to play as common chords within the first 3 frets.

4 - It must be easy to glide up to the 4th chord in Blackbird – I don't play this tune often, but the whole thing is a good measure-stick as it travels allover the board.

5 - I want to be able to create my beloved splash in the middle ofthe party. In fact there's a lot of splashing goin' on in theTull-take, but my favorite down-beat appears on 3:13.

Not quite sure how that one happens, but to know it's within reach, is a tremendous pleasure for this old G-sound-hunter.

Btw. I carved a new bone saddle yesterday evening - the experiment goes on. . . .

Archived