Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Playing Styles'

J.R.M.30!

I was wondering if everyone could name different guitar playing styles'. :-({|=

What! Exactly what are you trying to get at with this question?

I'm going with Surfpup on this one. There is simply two styles....GOOD and BAD!

Guitar playing styles???

Oh yes, there are many,,,,

First you have your Baroque era fashion style.

CasparNetscherDutchBaroqueEraPainterc1635-1684ALadyPlayingtheGuitar1669_zpsda65b4c1.jpg

And of course there is the Depression Mob style fashion of playing.

DepressionEraMahoganySlothead_zps4e35309a.jpg

A little later came your 60's monster era high fashion style.

HERMAN-PAUL_zps43c7dd8d.jpg

And of course, you can always play with no style at all...

Baby-Bean-Playing-a-Guitar--91546_zps656b7766.jpg

hehe

Are you asking about how to position your hands or body when playing guitar? Classical, folk, rock? Classical - seated down with a footstool and body of guitar resting on left lap. Folk can be played while seated or standing and mostly with an acoustic steel string guitar and rock, standing up while wearing leopard skin tights or any other skin tight that reveals how big your junk is and either sticking your tounge out or making facial expressions...usually with an electric guitar. [thumbup]

No I don't mean "genres" for pity sake or how you position the body for that matter! I mean styles as in guitar playing. I imagine the styles' names and mannerisms change because of the different areas of the world, but I digress.

Guest Farnsbarns

No I don't mean "genres" for pity sake or how you position the body for that matter! I mean styles as in guitar playing. I imagine the styles' names and mannerisms change because of the different areas of the world, but I digress.

Now I'm confused... Not genres (I thought not), but not methods either? I can't think what else you might call a style? I suppose you might by thinking about right hand techniques? Finger style, chicken picking, hybrid picking, flat picking, sweep picking, slapping etc?

Guitar playing styles???

Oh yes, there are many,,,,

First you have your Baroque era fashion style.

CasparNetscherDutchBaroqueEraPainterc1635-1684ALadyPlayingtheGuitar1669_zpsda65b4c1.jpg

And of course there is the Depression Mob style fashion of playing.

DepressionEraMahoganySlothead_zps4e35309a.jpg

A little later came your 60's monster era high fashion style.

HERMAN-PAUL_zps43c7dd8d.jpg

And of course, you can always play with no style at all...

Baby-Bean-Playing-a-Guitar--91546_zps656b7766.jpg

hehe

Yes I forgot to say "Bowed". Early guitars that where nothing more than a modified Viola played like we play guitars today except with a bow instead of picked/plucked. I believe the Mideast instrument called an "Oud", that was sort of like a Lute but before the Lute's time was picked/plucked.

http://www.togamanguitars.com/history.php

Archived