Gibson Brands Forums

Torn between

bluefire98

Guitar 1: Went to my local music store and guitar center yesterday :lol: . I have to say that the riviera did not impress me as much as i thought it would [mellow] . This was played at GC through an orange and marshall amp. Compared to the hamer echotone that i played at mckenzie river (local music store through marshall) it sounded dull, not bad as im sure with new pups it would have sounded excellent. It also felt cluttered. Then again, the hamer echotone was decked out with (i think) tv jones pups (humbuckers), liscensed bigsby, new tuners, new pots, but it DESPERATELY needed a string change while the p93 did not. Not to mention the hamer was $350, cheaper than any p93 that ive seen. The one thing that drew me to the hamer was that when i played everlong (REALLY good foo fighters song) through that beat up marshall, it nailed it. No adjustments required (it was already in drop d!!!). The guitar was born for this. Now mckenzie sells a lot of vintage guitars (like an sg with the les paul name on it!!!) and they're not gonna let you try everything. They even have a sound room to play in. So when i play a guitar, i get its true sound.

Guitar 2: I played a mim standard strat there that had issues and was way too bright. However, when i played a blacktop strat at GC, it sounded wayyyyyyyyy better, not enough to make me fall in love. Now, from all this info, you may think that i definitely need a guitar with humbuckers in them. Well think again, played strictly through an orange amp, i may be in love with a fender standard telecaster. That guitar did everything i palyed on it, but it didn't do my style perfectly, however its more versatile than the hamer. It beat the crap out of a gibson lp j and lp special (so did the hamer), it never sounded too bright, even with the tone cranked and playing through the bridge pup. Its cleans were beautiful, its crunch was as good as any humbucker equipped guitar (like i said, it beat the crap out of some gibsons). Like all tele's, they're simple, and the body felt much better than the contoured strat. So im torn between :-k . i realize that coming to this forum and saying that a tele destroyed a couple of gibsons, may not be the best thing to do, or proposing that a hamer is gonna make an epi p93 seem dull, but i digress. These are my 2 guitars i wish to buy. which one will it be? (dun dun dun duuuu)

Not sure I understand. Guitar 1 nailed Everlong and Guitar 2 nailed everything you played on it? Including Everlong?

I would go with the Tele.

Heres what i meant to say, g1 suited my style perfectly but it seems to specialize in vintage tones. g2 can do everything (including everlong) well but not perfect. i guess i did seem to favor g2 in the 1st post. there is of course always mods for both guitars if i want more versatility or a different sound.

PS was the last part of your comment a guess or a suggestion?

I really love **** guitars !!! I might buy one :rolleyes:

Just kidding, but really don't understand why you don't name it, or am I the only one not guessing of wich guitar you are talking about ? If you can mention Fender, why not something else ?

Guitar 1: Went to my local music store and guitar center yesterday :lol: . I have to say that the riviera did not impress me as much as i thought it would [mellow] . This was played at GC through an orange and marshall amp. Compared to the ***** that i played at mckenzie river (local music store through marshall) it sounded dull, not bad as im sure with new pups it would have sounded excellent. It also felt cluttered. Then again, the ***** was decked out with tv jones pups (humbuckers), liscensed bigsby, new tuners, new pots, but it DESPERATELY needed a string change while the p93 did not. Not to mention the ***** was $350, cheaper than any p93 that ive seen. The one thing that drew me to the ***** was that when i played everlong (REALLY good foo fighters song) through that beat up marshall, it nailed it. No adjustments required. The guitar was born for this. Now mckenzie sells a lot of vintage guitars (like an sg with the les paul name on it!!!) and they're not gonna let you try everything. They even have a sound room to play in. So when i play a guitar, i get its true sound.

Guitar 2: I played a mim standard strat there that had issues and was way too bright. However, when i played a blacktop strat at GC, it sounded wayyyyyyyyy better, not enough to make me fall in love. Now, from all this info, you may think that i definitely need a guitar with humbuckers in them. Well think again, played strictly through an orange amp, i may be in love with a ****. That guitar nailed everything i palyed on it. It beat the crap out of a gibson lp j and lp special (so did the *****), it never sounded too bright, even with the tone cranked and playing through the bridge pup. Its cleans were beautiful, its crunch was as good as any humbucker equipped guitar (like i said, it beat the crap out of some gibsons). Like all ****'s, they're simple, and the body felt much better than the contoured strat. So im torn between :-k . i realize that coming to this forum and saying that a **** destroyed a couple of gibsons, may not be the best thing to do, or proposing that a ***** is gonna make an epi p93 seem dull, but i digress. These are my 2 guitars i wish to buy. which one will it be? (dun dun dun duuuu)

How can you poll for two unidentified guitars that you played. Pick one and play the darn thing or present a proper poll.

Alright guys, due to many requests i will show you the names. the reason why i didnt show them was because neither of them were a gibson/epiphone. so here ya go:

Guitar 1: Hamer Echotone with bigsby and (i think) tv jones pups

Guitar 2: Fender standard telecaster

I may have been a little paranoid 8-[ but since people have technicaly voted for the tele, (without knowing it) i guess that there opinions may still be the same. FYI in my first post i seem to lean toward the tele, but in reality it impressed me much more than i thought it would [omg] . To me the hamer PERFECTLY for my style, but not for everything else but the tele works WELL for my style and if i wanted to play something totally different on it, it would handle it no problem. both guitars feel great in my hands so if i had the option i would choose both. but for now, i have only enough money for one.

I voted Telecaster, but I like them a lot, and I'm not familiar with the Hamer, but it's a nice looker. If your really stuck and you want something Filtron/TV Jones style PUP's why not go for a Fender Cabronita Telecaster? I got one yesterday used, but only 6 months old with no cosmetic damage, any way - don't know if you've seen them, but here is mine:

_cab.jpg

I voted Telecaster, but I like them a lot, and I'm not familiar with the Hamer, but it's a nice looker. If your really stuck and you want something Filtron/TV Jones style PUP's why not go for a Fender Cabronita Telecaster? I got one yesterday used, but only 6 months old with no cosmetic damage, any way - don't know if you've seen them, but here is mine:

_cab.jpg

hey stevil how much for one of those teles? i also wouldn't mind looking at a thinline tele, so i can have both for the price of 1

hey stevil how much for one of those teles? i also wouldn't mind looking at a thinline tele, so i can have both for the price of 1

Well, if your in the USA they roughly retail for around $599 USD. In the UK around £501. There is also a thinline Cabronita Tele as well, they retail for $749 USD, and UK for about £600. There are a few more colours in the thinline range I think.

FEND014-5502-301a.jpg

Well, if your in the USA they roughly retail for around $599 USD. In the UK around £501. There is also a thinline Cabronita Tele as well, they retail for $749 USD, and UK for about £600. There are a few more colours in the thinline range I think.

FEND014-5502-301a.jpg

unfortunately for me i dont have enough money for even a used one. so as much as i would love one (then again, id like to have a custom made es 335) i still have to settle for something cheaper.

Archived