Gibson Brands Forums

"To pick guard or not to pick guard........that is the question !!!"

Graham_H

I prefer pickguard on. To me it is a part of the classic design and like some of you, I rest my ring and little finger on it when I play.

A friend of mine bought a new 2012 LP Standard, it came with the pick guard on the side. He would like it on but now he can't make himself to drill holes in his precious beauty...

• 3 weeks later...

None of my current guitars, Les Paul or not, have pickguards. The strange thing is, I've not really noticed until now!

I haven't had any problems with the finish on any of my guitars as a result of not having a pickguard, so I assume my playing style means I don't really need one. Aesthetically speaking, I would say I'm ambivalent but, considering I've bought four guitars without them, maybe I have have a sub-conscious preference for no pickguard!

My 2012 Classic Plus came with an un-mounted pickguard. I left it off because I love the top on the guitar. If it's a solid color or plain top Les Paul, I like the pickguards on. If it's a figured top, I like the look of it with them off. It's just an aesthetics thing to me. As far as playing goes, the pickguard makes no difference to me.

I voted without the pick gaurd only because mine does not have one. For cosmetic reasons, I think it depends on the guitar. Your more traditional guitars I think look like something is missing without it, but some of the premium tops or non-traditional colors look pretty cool without it.

7274_10200885882936612_2099381751_n1_zpsd14f2f49.jpg

This is my first post guys so here goes.

I'm definately a no pckgaurd man just simply because I think without it the guitar looks more modern.

Once the guard is fitted you can't go back because of the unsightly holes.

Going to try and post a picture now, fingers crossed

post-59984-095651900 1381851715_thumb.jpg

...I'm definately a no pckgaurd man just simply because I think without it the guitar looks more modern...

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Interesting reasoning, if you don't mind my saying so, 68blues.

I've grown up knowing the thing all my life so to approach it and to appreciate it as somehow 'Modern' would be well beyond my powers of imagination.

It was already an old (23 years, to be precise) design by the time I first picked (a copy of) one up 38 years ago in 1975 and even then it seemed pretty traditionally-shaped to me.

Ironically, according to those who designed the LP, the p'g was (according to one version of events) shaped to resemble a 'Rocket-fin' to make it seem 'Cutting-edge' stuff in '52!

Strangely enough I still find the Explorer and Flying-V to be very modern even although they are both well beyond their 50th birthdays.

"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.", I suppose.

P.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived