Gibson Brands Forums

My first ever song. Help needed please!

Lars68

I have been reading this forum almost daily for years and always been very impressed by all the great original and cover versions posted by so many of you guys here. I have always wanted to be able to write/perform/record song of my own. A couple of years ago I started recording cover versions of some of my favorite tunes, using Garageband on my iPad, but I soon realized that they quite frankly sounded awful. I kept the songs to myself and never shared them with anyone. I was too embarassed to be honest. However, I have always had tunes of my own in my head, but never had any idea of how to get them out, but a while back I sat down with my guitar to try and figure out a song that had been on my mind for at least a couple of months. I know very little about keys and music theory, so I googled the chords in the key of C and took it from there...

The song is about a feeling of total happiness and peace of mind that I experienced late one night after our first son was born. I was the only one awake and I realized that there was no other place in the world that I would rather be but in that apartment with my family. I started into this hobby as an adult with no prior training in music and now realize that I will never be any good at it, but it is all about doing one's best, right?

I know my playing is rudimentary, on a good day, and my singing is way out of tune most of the time. Please try to ignore the poor performance and let me know what you think about the song itself? I appreciate any input you can give this 45-year old who just wrote his first ever song.

Lars

https://soundcloud.com/lars1968/all-i-ever-wanted

I used my iPad with the Garageband App and an Apogee mic placed on the table in front of me. It took me forever to do the whole thing at once without getting totally lost. I now realize I could most likely get it to sound better by doing several tracks and piecing the best bits together, but then it wouldn't really be honest...

The guitar is, dare I say it, a Martin OM with new strings on that day.

Lars

I now realize I could most likely get it to sound better by doing several tracks and piecing the best bits together, but then it wouldn't really be honest...

Lars

Not honest? Humm. Perhaps, but it would be the music industry. That's the way songs are made: Multiple tracks and cut and paste and punch ins. Then a zillion effects (Auto Tune anybody?) and more EQ. Then the mysterious realm of Mastering.

<< I will never be any good at it, but it is all about doing one's best, right?>>

I suck. But my songs are my therapy and my way of making sense of this weird thing called life. Write what's true for you: it's much more interesting than another cover.

Thanks for posting your song.

FMA

Here's one of the best of all time trying to record a few lines of a simple song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uloWqjazb8

Pitch is off in the voice here and there. Just like every one of mine!!!

Stay with it. We are all doing this to have fun, release stress, and fill a void within us that needs to create. About 5% of us are "good". I like your song. It is honest. Thanks for sharing and do not stop creating or sharing.

Exactly- And I, too, liked the honesty and the mood of your song.

I can speak to late-onset songcrafting, too. I maybe 'wrote' 3 songs from about ages 10 through 51. Everything I've shared here came within the last four years, though, so I understand the craving. Sure, there are a bunch of 'pencil sharpeners' in my 45+ catalog, but it takes awhile to see what you got. Point is- follow what shows itself to you and all of the pieces will come along.

Keep at it- it's pretty special, launching a new song--almost as awesome as launching a new human! 😉

That was good mate.Hard to write happy songs,for me anyway and I'm a happy bloke.The song gets to the essence of it all without any crap.

Like the guitar sound and chord progressions. Yea voice a bit flat at times but there is pleasant tone to your voice and with practice you should be able to get on pitch consistently.Keep recording and listening to your stuff. And post here when you feel like it.Anything of that standard is worth an airing.

Nice one Lars.

Thanks everyone for your kind words and suggestions!!

When I eventually return from my first world tour, which I expect my agent will confirm as booked anytime now, and sit down to do song number two, what can I do better as far as the song itself? [smile]

I know my singing and playing are both lacking, but I have a pretty good idea of what it takes to improve. As for the song, I really don't know.

Lars

I liked it and think it hits what it aims for.

The guitar sounds good, so does the playing, , , but the vox. . .

Why not try to take the vocal seperately after you have a decent guitar track down.

Simply rehearse it over and over and use all concentration in trying to reach pitch - shouldn't be impossible.

Congs on this first song - #2 is waiting.

Thanks, Em7. I am thinking about singing lessons because my lack of skills in that department really hurts. It limits me and sort of ties me to the sofa in my basement. A guitar needs a voice to go with it. Being able to play with others and sing my favorite songs and also do a few of my own is what I aim for.

I did the song originally in Swedish, which is my native language, and then translated it as best I could.

Lars

Guitar sounds good Lars, but vocals need work both in terms of pitch and presence. Its clear you dont have much confidence at this stage with the vocals (understandable, Im the same)and I agree with Em7, try to record the vocals seperately from the guitar, so you dont have to focus on two things at once.

Oh, and why dont you try recording with the Gibson, its much more 'vocal' friendly than Martins..

Oh, and why dont you try recording with the Gibson, its much more 'vocal' friendly than Martins..

Yeah..well done Lars... it takes courage to post your own songs on a forum... so all power to you.

Regarding EA's statement above,

I would agree...the experience I had a/b ing different guitars with the J35 was an eye opener for me. I tried a few Martins and they just did not suit my voice at all...I didn't realize how much of a difference there could be really before i did this.

Im sure there is a Martin that would suit me vocally... but I didn't find it that time.

Thanks for the advice, guys! I will try to record seperate tracks next time in order to focus on the vocals. I happened to record with the Martin simply because I had it out at the time.

I just wanted to add that this is a very friendly and supportive forum. I posted my song as an opportunity to learn from others and move forward, and I have only received encouragement and constructive advice so far. That is excactly what I was looking for, and I thank you all for that! I hope maybe I can inspire other beginners to post their songs. What is the worst that can happen, really?

Lars

Lars, you need to realize that while you may never be the "best" performer on this forum, as long as I'm here -you'll never be the worst! Seriously, many greats got where they did by what they call "the 10,000 hours" rule. You can spread it out over an hour a day for 28 years and improve at the same rate the grass grow, or practice 8 -10 hours a day like the Beatles did, and blossom like a hot house flower. For 98% of the population, we have families and jobs. And, unless you're a prodigy or just very luckily talented, you play for the most honest of all reasons - to keep your inner soul nourished. Good Job!

I think your song is real. You've written what you know about. That makes it believable to the listener. You've clearly "been there and done that." You have absolutely no reason at all to apologize for your voice or guitar abilities. I was there when Dylan first came on the radio...Good God, he sounded horrible. Still does, BUT, he's Dylan and he writes about what he knows and he's "real" to me..........You're far more easy for me to listen to than a lot of note shredding and electronic enhancements often used by otherwise very capable guitar players. .........You've got to write the songs that you know. You sound like a growing folksinger to me. Don't sweat what other people are writing. Do what you enjoy and what takes you where you enjoy being. Only a few people make one-hell-of-a-lot-of-money doing this stuff, so I figure the rest of us better be having a lot of fun at it. I like your music and I particularly like where you're writing from. [thumbup]

If anyone is interested in voice lessons and vocal exercises I highly recommend sbgalt. You'll find his free videos on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpvc4SNCWHA&list=PL1CECD9DA4D267D95

His website offers instant download lessons and exercises:

SBGalt web site

He even offers face-to-face sessions via Skype.

I've no affiliation with Saher (sbgalt), but I have bought all his lessons (a good couple of hours of materials that you can stick on your iPod to practice as you drive to work). And when he brings new lessons out he emails you with a discount rate.

His complete set of lessons is on sale now for $35. (Waaaay cheaper than a voice lesson.)

FMA

What did it do for you fullmental?

is. In what ways did you improve ?

First, he explained a lot of thing about singing that I never learned by singing on my own or in a choir. For example, I learned how to properly breathe so that the air comes from my diaphragm rather than higher in my lungs. This produces a consistent flow of air (like squeezing the bag on a bagpipe) so that I don't go flat on a prolonged note and I can sing louder or softer with control. Doesn't mean I will, but it does mean that I know how to correct it if I do it wrong.

Second his exercises helped to expand my range so I can sing higher and lower by switching between chest, throat, and head voices. He also teaches how to hit high notes without "splatting" which I specialize in--having my voice crack when I sing high notes.

The lessons helped me to hear a pitch and then to sing it without sliding up or down to reach the pitch. Also, I finally learned how to produce a vibrato and to use it when I want it.

Basically, it's like going to the gym and working out, except it's for singing. And it's in the privacy of my home or car or motel room. It's the stuff you'd get if you paid major bucks for voice lessons. The only thing you don't get is the voice coach in the room with you to correct specific things. But if that's what you want, you can get that through his Skype lessons. And if you get tired, you can just turn it off. (He's got a bunch of free lessons on YouTube to give you an idea of what it's like.)

His first series, Vocal Technique I, is the intro and it's $15. I bought the whole series and it's money well spent. Even if I have a voice like rubber boots sliding across styrofoam (and I do) when I'm rehearsing his exercises consistently, I sound like a higher-priced rubber boot.

FMA

Archived