Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Finish, what to do?

Sitedrifter

This is going to be my first guitar with a nitro finish and I am reading horror stores about guitar stands ruining the finish. My stands are made by Hercules which has some statement about their rubber material being safe for *most* nitro finishes but they cannot guarantee it. With that, what materials are inert when it comes into contact with the nitro finish? Can I use cork shelf line (sticky backside) to line my stand or maybe cotton cloth? I thought about Microfiber cloth but that is man made polyester and I am not sure it is safe.

Are their truly *any* nitro safe stands on the market as well as wall hangers? If not, what is your best idea for protecting the finish of one darn expensive Gibson?

Thanks

I use the Hercules floor tripod for my 2 nitro Gibson acoustics. No problem. Also, I've observed many professional performers use them. Your milage may vary.

One word - since this is your first, don't use lemon oil on the nitro.

Don't use lemon oil full stop.....

Or period if yer american

I use the Hercules floor tripod for my 2 nitro Gibson acoustics. No problem. Also, I've observed many professional performers use them. Your milage may vary.

One word - since this is your first, don't use lemon oil on the nitro.

And don't let cleaner or polish sit on the the finish for and extended length of time, wiped off and buff immediately. Yes, there have been posts about finish damage over this.

Good advice on stands/hangers above. I would add - use undyed cotton cloth (white) as some dyes can leach into the finish - even from a sweaty red shirt.

I use 3 old cotten socks over all parts that touch the guitar..and I leave the guitar on the stand constantly.

Also be careful of nylon..or even leather straps..ans some capos... as a rule i never have anything in contact with the finish.over a long period of time, when in the case or on the stand ..

I use 3 old cotten socks over all parts that touch the guitar..and I leave the guitar on the stand constantly.

Also be careful of nylon..or even leather straps..ans some capos... as a rule i never have anything in contact with the finish.over a long period of time, when in the case or on the stand ..

I hope they weren't 'special' socks del :-s

To keep the guitar clean I am going to use Meguiars Final Inspection #34 which is recommended by Meguiars as it is silicone/polymer free and actually was OEM for Fender Nitro cleaner a while back. I will use F-One fretboard conditioner which does an awesome job on my rosewood and ebony fretboardf of my other guitars. Beyond that, Not sure there is a product to use that puts a layer of protection on the guitar that is nitro safe if you plan on refinishing (for whatever reason) one day.

To keep the guitar clean I am going to use Meguiars Final Inspection #34 which is recommended by Meguiars as it is silicone/polymer free and actually was OEM for Fender Nitro cleaner a while back. I will use F-One fretboard conditioner which does an awesome job on my rosewood and ebony fretboardf of my other guitars. Beyond that, Not sure there is a product to use that puts a layer of protection on the guitar that is nitro safe if you plan on refinishing (for whatever reason) one day.

Fretboard - boiled linseed oil. Once a year. The idea is to stop it drying out , not to keep it moist.

A few of my guitars live on Hercules stands when not being played and I've never had a problem. I can understand Hercules wanting to hedge their bets and not make promises, but realistically they're one of the best on the market. I've encountered surprisingly severe "burn through" on Gibson finishes - I remember a Les Paul in particular that you could clearly feel the damage running you finger over it - but suspect the culprits to be older hard rubber finishes that used to be popular.

To keep the guitar clean I am going to use Meguiars Final Inspection #34 which is recommended by Meguiars as it is silicone/polymer free and actually was OEM for Fender Nitro cleaner a while back.

Meguiars 34 is awesome. I use it to get rid of the muck on the neck and the shmutz from where my forearm rests on the lower bout. It's available online or at the local auto parts store.

Meguiars 34

I drape a microfiber towel over my guitar stand and it's never harmed the nitro.

And, by the way, Sitedrifter, there's no law that says you have to wait at home for the little brown truck. Extra points if you ambush him.

FMA

I'd be careful if I were you. Here's a picture of the damage caused by my Hercules GS405B stand on my new LG-2 AE. Very similar on the opposite side but hard to catch it in one shot. Was left on stand overnight for a couple of days.

gibsonhercdamage.jpg

Anyone any idea at all why this seems to happen sometimes and sometimes not?

blindboygrunt has a great question.

I see people who swear by hercules and never have problems then someone else states they left it on the stand for a couple of days and their guitar was damaged.

When I was at my dealer over the weekend, I asked them and they use hercules and never have had an issue. I can only assume the material hercules uses is inconsistent therefore better safe then sorry and use a cloth over the part that touches the guitar.

I've had a bunch of Gibson's hanging from Hercules hangers for 6 years and no issues. I think they are the best wall hanger available!!

I have a Hercules tri-stand I use every once in a while and no problems there either.

I threw out all my other stands because the sock thing looked silly.

I have 2 wall wall hangers and 1 double stand all by hercules. I do have a cheapo stand I use to sit the guitar on while practicing in a different room my double stand is located. That stand will get a cloth cover until I buy a small portable hercules stand.

1381148165[/url]' post='1434656']

blindboygrunt has a great question.

I see people who swear by hercules and never have problems then someone else states they left it on the stand for a couple of days and their guitar was damaged.

When I was at my dealer over the weekend, I asked them and they use hercules and never have had an issue. I can only assume the material hercules uses is inconsistent therefore better safe then sorry and use a cloth over the part that touches the guitar.

I have two Hercules Stands, never had an issue, but I think Sitedeifter he's right, the material they use is inconsistent.

I'd be careful if I were you. Here's a picture of the damage caused by my Hercules GS405B stand on my new LG-2 AE. Very similar on the opposite side but hard to catch it in one shot. Was left on stand overnight for a couple of days. ...

Sorry that happened to your guitar Matt.

@BBG - no idea why this type of damage is hit and miss. There are other factors that may influence foam/rubber damage - heat, humidity, sunlight, and possibly the type of cleaners/polishes used on the guitar. But I've seen enough damage posts to say that regardless of what manufacturers and forum posters may report about nonreactive material, always use cotton cloth (preferably undyed) to protect the finish from foam/rubber.

Sorry that happened to your guitar Matt.

Thanks for your concern. I was aware that it could happen so from a certain point of view it was a bit of an experiment. I guess the trick is to know that it could happen so check your guitar over when you first start using them. My damage occurred within 48hours and I've since stopped using the stand for that particular guitar. It can happen even though it might be rare.

Archived