Gibson Brands Forums

Can't decide! J45 TV or Hummingbird TV

grOOved

I am awaiting my Hummingbird TV that I have on order with MusicVilla. As you already know, there is no substitute for a Hummingbird. The sound is so unique. Its a guitar that if you have owned one , you know it when you hear it. If thats the sound that you like, you have no choice but to buy a Hummingbird. I completely understand how that warm sweet tone just invites you in.

If the Hummingbird TV wasnt available, my next choice would be a Southern Jumbo Sheryl Crow or TV.

Stop fussing over the $500 and get yourself another Hummingbird. Im sure when you had to reluctantly let the other 3 go that you previously owned, you promised yourself that "ONE DAY......"

Well ONE DAY is here and a promise is a promise. Keep it!!

Plus 1 to E-minor7 ....Get a Hummingbird. I want one and don't yet have one. And struggling to save my pennies. I would have loved to get one of those you sold. No other guitar sounds like a Hummingbird, or in my opinion, as good as a Hummingbird. And no guitar intrigues the public eye like a performance with a Gibson Hummingbird. Get it back...and don't let this one fly away! I'm struggling with an Epi Hummingbird right now, It's sounds great really..but it's not a Gibson Hummingbird.

2Cents: I respect J45s,and certainly J45TVs, but would never give up my H'Bird TV for one. I might buy one in addition to, but never instead of. I just find a the H'Bird has more depth and character. Apologies to J45ers. Its probably just my ears and the plate in my head.

Thanks guys - thought there would be more on the Hummingbird TV camp... I think I'm leaning towards the J45 TV, but will give it a couple more days until I decide.

The SJ is also tempting, but I think I like the simplicity of the J45.

My J-45 TV has given me more joy than any guitar I own,or have previously owned. And, I've owned a lot of

great acoustic guitars (Gibson,Martin,Guild,Larrivee)

Hummingbird it is! Something in what E-minor7 said just hit me. I feel like no matter how much another guitar will make "sense", I will always long for a Hummingbird. Well, time to cash in and settle this for good.

Just bought THIS one over the phone and the icing on the cake is that it's been christened by the Greg Koch!

Hummingbird it is! Something in what E-minor7 said just hit me. I feel like no matter how much another guitar will make "sense", I will always long for a Hummingbird. Well, time to cash in and settle this for good.

Just bought THIS one over the phone and the icing on the cake is that it's been christened by the Greg Koch!

I'm glad you went for the Hummingbird

JC

That is one great-sounding 'Bird!

Even though I love a J-45, that 'Bird is delicious.

Congratulations. Now you're gonna have to buy a cowboy shirt to go along with the Greg vibe.

FMA

I'm glad you went for the Hummingbird

So am I *- (in this peculiar indirect yet quite real forum-way).

With this as your squire, #1 partner or what we'll call it, I think you are ready to meet the world, , , , and yourself in the guitar.

However I predict there is a good chance a second acoustic is waiting ahead for you, , , , not tomorrow, not in 14-15-16, but further out there in a hopefully happy future.

And this could very well be a 45.

*Yeah, the one in that clip has it. . .

Congrats on the bird OP. I knew I had to have mine when I literally played the first chord on it. The rest of my guitars may or may not be revolving, but my bird will be the one they pack in the casket with me.

Is that one of the JT-inspired models? And if so, why is the fingerboard bound?

The original SJs were blinged, but not over-blinged, puritanical enough for Woody Guthrie:

wood_wide-1de1da5c171f843403874b4746653cc6b8a114ce-s6-c30.jpg

The combination of parallelograms and unbound neck is a really nice compromise between flash and down-home.

Woody's SJ doesn't look like it has a bound neck but I have a 52 SJ and the neck is bound. Its a pretty deep yellow now. I am sure it is original because the neck needs a reset and the top of the saddle is almost flush with the bridge from past attempts to bring down the action.

Nicely played, OP. You knew in your heart you wanted that Hummingbird and you listened to a LOT of testimonies for the "other" guitar. None of which swayed your heart. I love Birds as well and I'm just waiting for the right one, while I play the one I have. (That's called pre-justifying the reason I need ANOTHER!)

I"m loving the red-yellow balance. Is that now common for Hummingbird TVs?

Ok guys, I agree "that of ton a bricks" might not be the right expression. My first language is French and sometimes, I get my idiomatic expressions wrong :-) My new Hummingbird Pro plays really well ...

You are hereby excused for the misuse of an idiomatic expression.

Another non-native English speaker here frequently asks me to explain certain idiosyncrasies of my mother tongue, and I am sometimes at a loss to explain the derivations of some expressions.

It's a funny old language.

Another non-native English speaker here frequently asks me to explain certain idiosyncrasies of my mother tongue, and I am sometimes at a loss to explain the derivations of some expressions.

That might be me - a big privilge with a breathing overseas dictionary, thanx. . .

Btw. is there another word for double-bass ? , , , here it's called contra-bass (same meaning/background).

Btw. is there another word for double-bass ? , , , here it's called contra-bass (same meaning/background).

Same in English, although contrabass can be a more generic term not necessarily tied to the lowest-pitch orchestral string instrument.

Archived