Gibson Brands Forums

Can't decide! J45 TV or Hummingbird TV

grOOved

I have an opportunity for a new acoustic - I'm currently guitarless (acoustic). I know I want one of these two and I'm considering every factor in deciding. Tone wise, I know what I'm getting so the main thing I'm battling is appearance.

I like the extra thump and boom of the Hummingbird out of the case, but I'm sort of fatigued by the appearance at times. The J45 saves me $500 and I've always liked the appearance - just a classic work horse guitar. To put this in context I've played in small clubs, larger venues like the house of blues and theaters, weddings, funerals, church... I want a guitar that's appropriate for any occasion - look and tone.

That seems to me like the J45, but I feel like I'm going to be kicking myself if I regret not getting the Hummingbird while I had the chance.

Help?

Very different guitars, with very different tone and look. I would have thought the decision would be relatively easy as they are so different.

Having said that Id say the J-45TV is much more versatile hence if youre looking for one excellent all rounder Id go for that one.

Very different guitars, with very different tone and look. I would have thought the decision would be relatively easy as they are so different.

Having said that Id say the J-45TV is much more versatile hence if youre looking for one excellent all rounder Id go for that one.

+1 for the J-45 TV although if you like the Hummingbird blinged fretboard why not go for a Southern Jumbo TV - best of both worlds?

+1 for the J-45 TV although if you like the Hummingbird blinged fretboard why not go for a Southern Jumbo TV - best of both worlds?

I agree with Lefty. Why not a Southern Jumbo. The SJ is the best looking acoustic in existence, in my opinion. Just the right amount of bling. Perfect!

Personally, I'm partial to the Sheryl Crow SJ. I don't particularly care for her or her music, but this guitar has perfect specs.

Good luck!

Lars

... the J-45TV is much more versatile hence if youre looking for one excellent all rounder Id go for that one.

+1

... if you like the Hummingbird blinged fretboard why not go for a Southern Jumbo TV - best of both worlds?

I like this suggestion too.

@Lars - Man, the SC SJ is hard to find - owners must hang on to them as they don't come up used very often.

I agree with Lefty. Why not a Southern Jumbo. The SJ is the best looking acoustic in existence, in my opinion. Just the right amount of bling. Perfect!

Personally, I'm partial to the Sheryl Crow SJ. I don't particularly care for her or her music, but this guitar has perfect specs.

Good luck!

Lars

I am currently shopping a new Gibson acoustic too. I had it down to a J45 and a AJ which were both different. Then I closed my eyes and opened up my ears and put a few more models and makes in front of me to try. As mentioned elsewhere , a J35 that I sampled among the group bowled me over with it's tone and feel. I'm really having a hard time justifying anything else over the J35 at this point. I'd suggest giving one a look before you make your final choice.

I am currently shopping a new Gibson acoustic too. I had it down to a J45 and a AJ which were both different. Then I closed my eyes and opened up my ears and put a few more models and makes in front of me to try. As mentioned elsewhere , a J35 that I sampled among the group bowled me over with it's tone and feel. I'm really having a hard time justifying anything else over the J35 at this point. I'd suggest giving one a look before you make your final choice.

Thats a good thing in your case, as you will save around 50% on the premium of a True Vintage !

I have an opportunity for a new acoustic - I'm currently guitarless (acoustic). I know I want one of these two and I'm considering every factor in deciding. Tone wise, I know what I'm getting so the main thing I'm battling is appearance.

I like the extra thump and boom of the Hummingbird out of the case, but I'm sort of fatigued by the appearance at times. The J45 saves me $500 and I've always liked the appearance - just a classic work horse guitar. To put this in context I've played in small clubs, larger venues like the house of blues and theaters, weddings, funerals, church... I want a guitar that's appropriate for any occasion - look and tone.

That seems to me like the J45, but I feel like I'm going to be kicking myself if I regret not getting the Hummingbird while I had the chance.

Help?

I just purchased a Hummingbird Pro cutaway. It plays like a ton a bricks. Fast action, amazing sound and in my opinion, best looking acoustic on the market. It doesn't have the somewhat (in my opinion) cheezy looking pick guard and it's less expensive due to the Guitar Center buying in bulk.

Never heard that one before!

Nor have I, and I'm not exactly sure how that simile would apply, unless you plan on destroying your guitar by dropping a pallet of bricks on it. Not sure how it would play after that......

Nor have I, and I'm not exactly sure how that simile would apply, unless you plan on destroying your guitar by dropping a pallet of bricks on it. Not sure how it would play after that......

My old Songwriter felt like a tonn of bricks .... one of the reasons I dont have it anymore.

The SJ suggestion is obviously in the cards, , , , unless you are split between either the puritanism of the 45 or the flamboyance of the Bird -

both wonderful guitars.

I would try as many of them as possible. You are a gigging man, so there are 2 main-factors to consider.

How do they respond to your actual repertoire and which one fits your stage image/appearance best.

Third is your instinct - you will know when it's there, , , , even though the dilemma might remain right under the surface -

What a happy situation - nothing like hunting with the pocket able and ready. . .

I was about to say: "Well I would get the ..." but what good would that do you? Those are both good models. If you are really making up your mind between those two, set aside some time and play the two of them. Play at least some small sample of all the sorts of things you do on guitar on both of them. Which one do you want to take home?

Is that one of the JT-inspired models? And if so, why is the fingerboard bound?

The original SJs were blinged, but not over-blinged, puritanical enough for Woody Guthrie:

wood_wide-1de1da5c171f843403874b4746653cc6b8a114ce-s6-c30.jpg

The combination of parallelograms and unbound neck is a really nice compromise between flash and down-home.

Thanks guys - thought there would be more on the Hummingbird TV camp... I think I'm leaning towards the J45 TV, but will give it a couple more days until I decide.

The SJ is also tempting, but I think I like the simplicity of the J45.

Guess the core H-bird segment is quiet for one reason.

If you want a Hummingbird, it's in your blood beyond choice and speculation.

The redish/orangish top with that nectar dripping flora/fauna is an obsession of its own. It's the feeling of honey running down your soul.

To have one of these within reach in the room you're in, goes deeper than just owning a good guitar. ,-)

How deep belongs in a whole other kind of forum.

Guess the core H-bird segment is quiet for one reason.

If you want a Hummingbird, it's in your blood beyond choice and speculation.

The redish/orangish top with that nectar dripping flora/fauna is an obsession of its own. It's the feeling of honey running down your soul.

To have one of these within reach in the room you're in, goes deeper than just owning a good guitar. ,-)

How deep belongs in a whole other kind of forum.

ooh... I guess I've omitted the fact that I have had 3 Hummingbirds in the past! You got me entranced! Maybe I keep going back because it's really just in me. I sold those birds for due to unfavorable circumstances.

ooh... I guess I've omitted the fact that I have had 3 Hummingbirds in the past! You got me entranced!

Wow, , , another dimension unveils. This tells me your inner scenery knows exactly what the post above tried to say.

How intriguing that you possibly stand on a spot where you either must admit being a genuine Bird-man or are ready to jump track*.

That's how important the situation is right now - let's call it acoustic existentialism - nothing less.

*unless, of course, you owned 3 J-45's too back on the line. . .

I am awaiting my Hummingbird TV that I have on order with MusicVilla. As you already know, there is no substitute for a Hummingbird. The sound is so unique. Its a guitar that if you have owned one , you know it when you hear it. If thats the sound that you like, you have no choice but to buy a Hummingbird. I completely understand how that warm sweet tone just invites you in.

If the Hummingbird TV wasnt available, my next choice would be a Southern Jumbo Sheryl Crow or TV.

Stop fussing over the $500 and get yourself another Hummingbird. Im sure when you had to reluctantly let the other 3 go that you previously owned, you promised yourself that "ONE DAY......"

Well ONE DAY is here and a promise is a promise. Keep it!!

Archived