Gibson Brands Forums

NGD

RRIDER

Sweet! Congrats. I always wanted to play one of these since they came out. I hear it has a very thin neck with short scale length. So what do you think?

It does have a short scale length, but the neck doesn't seem to be any thinner than my Les Paul Classic custom. It does have a fast neck, real slick and smooth.

HNGD! [thumbup]

Looks nice from here. How does it play and sound?

Like I said above, It has a fast neck. Nice feel but took a few minutes to get used to it. I usually play a LP.

The sound is brighter than my LP's, but the amp, push pull tone pots and volume can be tweaked to get most any sounds I want.

I did change the 9-46 strings to 10's. Made a big difference in the feel. I'm thinking about trying 11's on it next time I change them. Love the locking tuners!

Looks like you got a nice one RRIDER. Congrats!

I'm real happy with my Kalamazoo so far. It does seem to be a bright guitar; do you find the heavier gauge strings mellow the tone a bit?

I'm okay with mine so far, but I'll be going to 10s when I change them. I like the easy playability of the 09s and I don't strum much so they're not "twanging" on the frets. It does take a light touch though. A friend of mine played mine the other day and he has large fingers and a heavy touch, it was slipping out of key from unintended string bending while he was playing chords. My wife was in the room talking with other people and she told me she looked around to see who was playing it because she could tell it wasn't me.

Aye.... very nice, although the proof of the fiddle is the playing...

I think I'd half like one, but the "bright" thing isn't usually what I look for. I have a 24-inch scale archtop and even with a '50s baseball bat neck I don't care for at all, it still is quite playable - just not comfortable. I think with the longer scale it wouldn't work at all, but that's just me.

Glad you're happy - that's the real criterion.

m

I want to thank you all for the kind words.

I know this style isn't for everyone. It is a very unique guitar and different from anything else I have.

Milod, you mentioned the "bright" thing isn't what you look for, neither do I. I did some tweaking of my amp

and found tones that were very pleasing, and the sustain is incredible.

Is it going to be my favorite..Probably not, but I am glad I purchased it.

Archived