Gibson Brands Forums

The pelham blue SG w/ Maestro arrived

crust

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard luck Crust - Hope the replacement is OK. At least you've got a couple of other options to keep you busy!

Sellen - I enjoyed checking out your YT Videos - you've got some lovely gear there and some great tones.

Thank you...well, you only live once....I happen to like playing Epiphone electric guitars...is that wrong ?? [glare]:-k[biggrin][confused][biggrin]

Epiphone, when will you foolproof the packaging that is used to protect your lovely guitars from shipping gorillas ? From this example, and myriad others, I, as a return customer, think that you'd have redesigned the packing boxes a long time ago. [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [cursing]

Crust, while you're waiting on the replacement you could always kill some time by taking the stickers off the rest of your geets. [lol]

I like them with all the stickers in place. The additional mass adds to the tone, the "special" glue, type of paper and ink......can't you hear it...., "Handcrafted in China" sticker, "Setup in USA by" sticker, "scanner/smartphone" code sticker, warranty "star" sticker, "do not throw in trash" sticker, "QC HK" sticker, protective plastic film on pick guard. protective plastic "sticker" over pickup(s).

Stickers will never be removed (by me)...lol [-([thumbup]

Epiphone, when will you foolproof the packaging that is used to protect your lovely guitars from shipping gorillas ? From this example, and myriad others, I, as a return customer, think that you'd have redesigned the packing boxes a long time ago. [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] [cursing]

I've often wondered about guitar packaging - it isn't just Epi who is at fault. I hate to say it, but I wonder if it's cheaper for manufacturers/retailers to absorb the cost of the odd damaged guitar, as opposed to increasing packaging costs for every guitar that leaves the factory? Especially as there will still be some value in your damaged G-400 (perhaps it will find its way to that big refurbishing company, after you return it).

Something that always frustrates me. If I buy a new guitar online, I tend to buy a new hardshell case for it at the same time. It's odd to see the UPS guy leaving two boxes on my porch. Why doesn't the retailer just put the guitar in the case and ship it? I'd have no problem with the retailer "unboxing" my guitar to ship it in the case, so long as all the case candy was included. I understand that this might take extra time in the warehouse - but wouldn't it be worth it to save on the cost of damaged, returned goods (plus the original benefit of only paying to ship one box, not two)?

Shipping went from a marvel of the late 80's to a complete scam. As soon as business sees any advantage to customers, theys hit it up as quickly as possible, and that's what they've done. Somehow, somewhere, busted guitars, returns and all, somebody is making money, more money than they would make doing it right once.

rct

Ouch. I posted pics on another thread of my recent 50th Anniversary Sheraton which arrived with the headstock totally departed from the neck. These manufacturers are SO far behind the times in packing technology which other firms have switched to years ago, having identified the real cost of replacement items is ludicrous (customer perceptions, staff cost of re-handling, double shipping, correspondence and claims against couriers, etc. etc) When will they learn? Here's how my first 1962 Sheraton arrived:-

Sheraton_1.jpg

that break looks oddly familiar on that SG..

there was a midtown thread, same break.. where did this come from?

Was some APE leaning on it while doing a setup?

not sure it looks like an impact fracture, it's more like there was an undue amount of weight placed on the middle of the body while the guitar was (maybe) on a neck rest/work bench???

I don't know - it looks suspect to me..

either way,, good luck with a replacement and the RA crust

that break looks oddly familiar on that SG..

there was a midtown thread, same break.. where did this come from?

Was some APE leaning on it while doing a setup?

not sure it looks like an impact fracture, it's more like there was an undue amount of weight placed on the middle of the body while the guitar was (maybe) on a neck rest/work bench???

I don't know - it looks suspect to me..

either way,, good luck with a replacement and the RA crust

Was very good dealing with return, no problem. Let's see what happens. lol [rolleyes]

Sam Ash and FEDEX

I didn't order a case, because I have a couple empty gig bags that will fit this thing. Now I'm going to ask for a case, even though I have 2 nice empty padded gig bags. [smile]

Ouch. I posted pics on another thread of my recent 50th Anniversary Sheraton which arrived with the headstock totally departed from the neck. These manufacturers are SO far behind the times in packing technology which other firms have switched to years ago, having identified the real cost of replacement items is ludicrous (customer perceptions, staff cost of re-handling, double shipping, correspondence and claims against couriers, etc. etc) When will they learn? Here's how my first 1962 Sheraton arrived:-

Sheraton_1.jpg

Ouch - pretty $hitty [thumbdn]

It hurts just thinking about what a nice and beautiful guitar it may have been. :(

Dunno entirely why, but Sweetwater told me they feel it's safer to send a guitar in its regular box with their additional "padding" on an "overbox," as opposed to putting it into its case, then an "overbox" and sending it that way.

My old Ovations (early 70s) still are in their special-made Ovation cases that won't, I think, let them wiggle as much as the width of a treble guitar string.

OTOH, I sent my AE nylon Ovation of that era in its case and in a box and doggone if the case hadn't developed a significant semi-spherical dent... and a nice round hole of about an inch in width went through the box. That was a FedEx "send."

So... I dunno. It does seem odd short of something putting major stress on the box(s) that should be obvious.

m

Archived