Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson sound

bill67

Of all of the Epiphone acoustics which models sounds the most like a true Gibson?

I think it's going to be very subjective.

However assuming we are comparing like for like (i.e recent production) then I think the solid top EJ200's get pretty close to their Gibson counterpart. Not 100% but probably 80% of the way there.

Of all of the Epiphone acoustics which models sounds the most like a true Gibson?

[/q

Most all Epiphone models carry at least some, if not a generous amout, of the rich flair, harmonics, and mids that Gibsons have, I would have to say that the closest Epiphone models that would compare with Gibson would be almost any of the Epiphone Masterbilt series. A good standard Epiphone carries wonderful tone and harmonics....an Epiphone Masterbilt could be expected to put out 4 times more because they are solid and well built. At Present, the Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE is a masterpiece of tone, and quality sound and feel. It is one of the very few Masterbilts still being produced at the moment and carried by MF, GC Sweetwater, Wildwood guitars and many more. While it costs almost $600, it plays exactly like a $3000 guitar. It wins hands down, for Gibson tone and beauty....the previously produced Masterbilt AJ-500M and AJ-500R were also stellar and are coveted by their owners. They however can only be bought used, while the DR500MCE is still available...but probably not for long. Epiphone usually discontinues anything really good that they produce.

Most all Epiphone models carry at least some, if not a generous amout, of the rich flair, harmonics, and mids that Gibsons have, I would have to say that the closest Epiphone models that would compare with Gibson would be almost any of the Epiphone Masterbilt series. A good standard Epiphone carries wonderful tone and harmonics....an Epiphone Masterbilt could be expected to put out 4 times more because they are solid and well built. At Present, the Epiphone Masterbilt DR500MCE is a masterpiece of tone, and quality sound and feel. It is one of the very few Masterbilts still being produced at the moment and carried by MF, GC Sweetwater, Wildwood guitars and many more. While it costs almost $600, it plays exactly like a $3000 guitar. It wins hands down, for Gibson tone and beauty....the previously produced Masterbilt AJ-500M and AJ-500R were also stellar and are coveted by their owners. They however can only be bought used, while the DR500MCE is still available...but probably not for long. Epiphone usually discontinues anything really good that they produce.

definitely the DR500MCE with the right strings I doubt you would know the difference in sound.

What about some of the cheaper Epiphones.

Bill67....of the more economical Epiphones, you will find the Epi Hummingbird to be wonderful for tone and beauty..also the AJ-220S and the AJ-220SCE...as well as the EJ-200SCE and the Texan slope shoulder..all good guitars for the price, between $199 and $399. And all with solid spruce tops for superior tone! It is very hard to imagine why anyone would pay $800 to $1500 for a Taylor or Martin when these Epiphones are available. I guess some people think you have to pay more to get more, but that's not always the case. I just LOVE my Epiphone Hummingbird (see my Icon picture.) They now come with electric pick ups installed..(The Epiphone Hummingbird Pro) Simply stellar for the price. Bought my Epi Hummingbird Used...5 years old, for $199 from GC online. Very happy with it.

I have EJ 200 sce, EJ 200,DR500R,AJ220s. To me the EJ are both bad sound wise.The AJ I just got I like it a lot,I like it better than the DR500R. I have 5 cheap Washburns and they to me are the best cheap guitars for the money,Sound good and play good.

I have EJ 200 sce, EJ 200,DR500R,AJ220s. To me the EJ are both bad sound wise.The AJ I just got I like it a lot,I like it better than the DR500R. I have 5 cheap Washburns and they to me are the best cheap guitars for the money,Sound good and play good.

A friend has the washburn WCD18CE comfort series and it does not compare to the dr-500 mce. I think every maker has the hit and miss thing going on these days. op of the line can have lemons and bottom of the barrel can have the diamond in the rough.

I didn't want to be the first to say it....

Like others said, you can get close with string and nut, saddle adjustments but you'll never get more than 60-75% of the way there. Some things are just about wood and glue

Sorry, but have to disagree. Although I've only ever played a half dozen Gibsons at GC, they went back up on the wall as fast as they came down. And don't give me that "old strings" crap, a responsive guitar will let know It's got it or not. Granted it's only a handful, but they all sounded like they had 2" body depth to me. So I maintain you can get an Epi that sounds equally bad, and in some rare instances...better. A piece of wood doesn't know what name is on the headstock.

The question wasn't "Which Epiphones sound good?" or "Do Epiphones sound better than Gibsons?"

The original poster simply wants to know whicht Epis sound most LIKE a Gibson.

Whether one thinks that Gibsons sound sound terrible or Epiphones sound great is completely irrelevant. While Masterbilts are very fine guitars -- as far as I can discern, they sound nothing like a Gibson.

The question wasn't "Which Epiphones sound good?" or "Do Epiphones sound better than Gibsons?"

The original poster simply wants to know whicht Epis sound most LIKE a Gibson.

Whether one thinks that Gibsons sound sound terrible or Epiphones sound great is completely irrelevant. While Masterbilts are very fine guitars -- as far as I can discern, they sound nothing like a Gibson.

IMHO my three Masterbilts sound equal to, if not better than the three Gibsons I previously owned. In fact that is why I sold them off, and never looked back. But to each his own!

I think there's a difficulty here in the breadth of the question in the first place.

Which sounds most like "a" Gibson?

Is an Epi AJ500 s'posed to sound like a Gibson J45 or like a Gibson LG2 (small body)? But that's too broad? What if one of us claims "the AJ500m sounds just like a J50," but then ... which J50, at what strings and what... ladadada.

If one reads what various Gibson acoustic owners say about their own guitars, and which of a stable they prefer, and it's quickly evident that they don't sound alike even played by the same person and even if they're the same model designation.

Two wooden instruments of the same marque and design, regardless of price, vintage, etc., will not sound alike.

While I'll agree that one expects a more balanced sound from Gibson flattops compared to Martin flattops in general... And one assumes that two RR-98 Gibsons or FRD-238 Martins will sound alike. Well... sorta. In general. Depending on a myriad of factors.

Maybe it's my old age and current grouchiness, but I think that at a certain point of playing a given instrument by an experienced (not even skilled or talented, but experienced), the synergy will develop something of a unique 'sound' others really can't get. Dunno if you can split that easily into "attack," "tone," bass dominance, whatever, but...

We're talking something awfully subjective. I'd like to see some sort of scientific determination of how one might quantatively and repeatedly one might objectively define a "Gibson sound" across the product line to someone who's deaf.

OTOH, it ain't hard at all to define subjectively how a given picker feels about a given guitar with whom he/she sings from strings.

That's the advantage to something "subjective." It's why I've a batch of "better" flattops, but the one I play most is a "cheapie" PR5e.

m

• 1 month later...

There is no simple answer......but I would agree, the "Masterbilt" have the highest likelyhood of sounding like a Gibson. I own an EF-500RVS and have played the J-45 Custom (effectively the same guitar, save for the added inlays) and they sound and play nearly identical.

If you are looking for an apple to apple comparison...you have to narrow down what it is you are looking at, find them, pick em up and play them......then you'll have your answer. You're not likely to find a Rosewood that sounds exactly like a Mahogany.

• 3 weeks later...

The acoustics that sounded closest to their Gibson counterparts were the late Elitists. They were modeled very closely on particular historic Gibson models (or conversly, had a melange of classic features like Gibson's own True Vintage line). They were made from top-quality and cosmeticly pleasing wood, had carefully cut and shaped nuts and saddles, good tuners, and very thin finishes. They were built impeccably. They were also twice the price of a Masterbilt or more and maybe four of five times the price of many non-Masterbilt Epis, but sometimes you do get what you pay for. Seek out a used one if you have the budget, and you will be rewarded.

The Masterbilts are very, very good guitars, and the early ones especially were built well and with some good materials (though soundboard cracks are frequent), but they are voiced to be more Martiny than Gibsony, to my ear.

The Epiphone models that look like Gibsons are closer cosmetically than sonic-wise for the most part, but they are often very good instruments for the price.

This is my experience based on currently enjoying ten Gibson acoustics and ten Epiphones (four Elitists, four Masterbilts, and two others).

Red 333

Archived