Gibson Brands Forums

Coming in 2014

MissouriPicker

Just curious about what everyone is thinking about in regards to guitars/instruments for 2014. Personally, I still think a lot about an AJ, but likewise all this talk in here about small body guitars like the LG2 really interest me. I like the big guitars, but I've got several and it's possible something like an LG2 could make its way home with me. Could end-up with a Martin too. Haven't had one for a couple years..............Beyond guitars, I'll likely get a autoharp. Got my wife interested in them and they're easy-to-play. First time she's shown any real interest in playing music, so I'm hoping...lol.....I'm set on strings. Think I've got about 40 sets. Put monofilament fishing line on one of my banjos and the sound is awesome. Very plunkity and old time sounding.

Interesting. I'm in the same boat. I've been thinking about a small body Gibson. If I buy something soon, it will be in the LG2 style. I'm not sure I'll get anything, but if I do it probably won't be another Dred.

Yeah, I'm thinking small body also for '14 .... The L00 suits me great for blues and some folk music but doesn't seem to work as an all around instrument. May try out some Martins since their small body offerings are wide ranging. I also love my new/used D35. My problem with Martins is that they tend to have large necks which I don't like ... took me three years to find the '06 D35 with the "modern" neck.

MP hope you are able to get your wife involved ... had the same situation with my better half and she went with a dulcimer .... I think you have one so you know they are easy to play. Now she's a pro after 18 months.

An autoharp is actually on my '14 list ...... we have a weeks vacation in Mt. View Ark for the first week in June. Turns out that the Autoharp festival is taking place that week at the Ozark Folk Center with 3 days of lessons for every level ... may take it up.

So that's my list and sure it'll grow.

Yeah, I'm thinking small body also for '14 .... The L00 suits me great for blues and some folk music but doesn't seem to work as an all around instrument. May try out some Martins since their small body offerings are wide ranging. I also love my new/used D35. My problem with Martins is that they tend to have large necks which I don't like ... took me three years to find the '06 D35 with the "modern" neck.

MP hope you are able to get your wife involved ... had the same situation with my better half and she went with a dulcimer .... I think you have one so you know they are easy to play. Now she's a pro after 18 months.

An autoharp is actually on my '14 list ...... we have a weeks vacation in Mt. View Ark for the first week in June. Turns out that the Autoharp festival is taking place that week at the Ozark Folk Center with 3 days of lessons for every level ... may take it up.

So that's my list and sure it'll grow.

I will probably get flamed, but have you tried a nice EC, JDD?

Apart from the sig issue, they have a lot of specs people want.

I have looked at a few vintage Ms on the internet, but some of the prices are extreme, so I was looking at othe M options and........there it was, a 28ec, an unfulfilled wish from 1998 when I tried a ripper......

BluesKing777.

I have looked at a few vintage Ms on the internet, but some of the prices are extreme, so I was looking at othe M options and........there it was, a 28ec, an unfulfilled wish from 1998 when I tried a ripper......

BluesKing777.

I have a 000-28 EC, and it's a very nice guitar. Beautiful build quality, 000 size suits me very well. Tone is classic Martin, which isn't for everyone. It's heavy compared to my L-OO Legend, but the L-OO is a much smaller guitar. Bought the EC used a few years ago at a very fair price, in 9.9 out of 10 condition.

It doesn't get much playing time, as I'm concentrating on my 1943 SJ re-issue (Fuller's version) and the L-OO right now. But it's a nice guitar, and they are usually pretty reasonable on the used market--similar to a J-45 TV, or a bit less. I don't mind the signature: you don't even notice it after the first day. The aged toner top is nice, but maybe a bit overdone.

plain000-28.jpg

BluesKing777.

BK, thanks for the suggestion. I've actually forgotten about the EC.

Actually I've tried two ..... Bailey Brothers, my go to 5 Star, has one ..... and your suggestion is a good one in that the size is right and the tone is very nice and (sans sig) it is nice looking. I've gone through the various types of songs I do on it and it seems to be a good all around instrument. I could get past the sig ..... that's a guitar insider aversion and most of the old folkies I'd be playing it around could care less.

I guess my one objection goes back to the neck shape. I remember it as a V and I'm not at all accoustomed to that ..... I have a strong liking for the nice slim modern necks and all my current players (except the J35 which will probably be culled soon) are slim. EC is a little pricy but Modoc always treats me right and I do have the 35 to sell or trade.

Nick, BK, others ..... what say you about the neck shape and feel?

EC neck shape is a soft, flattened V. Much less pronounced V than the L-OO Legend, which is a classic mid 1930's Gibson V--fairly sharp for the first six frets. Don't know how to compare it to any modern Gibsons, as my only other Bozeman Gibson has the Luthier's Choice neck, which is an entirely different animal.

The EC has a 1 3/4" nut width and 2 1/4" pin spacing on a 24.9" scale, so it's a good finger-picker.

But you really have to decide how the neck works for you. I've found that anytime I pick up a guitar with a new neck shape, my initial reaction is "I don't like it". Neck shape is one of those things you need to try for about a week to see if it works for you.

I literally don't have any two guitars with the same neck shape, and that includes six Gibsons spanning 67 years of production.

I had an EC for a few years and just sold it earlier this year. Nice guitar and I sometimes miss it. I've thought about pricing a custom one without the sig. That's the one thing I did not like although I'm a big EC fan. I've played standard 000-28 but liked the EC better.

Actually I've tried two ..... Bailey Brothers, my go to 5 Star, has one ..... and your suggestion is a good one in that the size is right and the tone is very nice and (sans sig) it is nice looking. I've gone through the various types of songs I do on it and it seems to be a good all around instrument. I could get past the sig ..... that's a guitar insider aversion and most of the old folkies I'd be playing it around could care less.

I guess my one objection goes back to the neck shape. I remember it as a V and I'm not at all accoustomed to that ..... I have a strong liking for the nice slim modern necks and all my current players (except the J35 which will probably be culled soon) are slim. EC is a little pricy but Modoc always treats me right and I do have the 35 to sell or trade.

I loved the neck on the EC. But it said 'play me some ragtime' and I did, but I don't know if it was the setup, because I found my playing becoming a touch mechanical - like I was ripping through a tune without a single fluff - I am used to old beaters with a bit of resistance...... I like the specs and especially the H- bone trim....

I have NOT played one, but Martin had a bit of success with their Performing Artist necks, and have a 000-28 Standard model with what they call a 'low profile neck' Look it up on Elderly.

Nick is fanning the flames with the pic above! I went to the best acoustic shop here to try one - there was one locally on eBay so I thought I better get a refresher, only to find the shop had everything else but....

BluesKing777.

I had an EC for a few years and just sold it earlier this year. Nice guitar and I sometimes miss it. I've thought about pricing a custom one without the sig. That's the one thing I did not like although I'm a big EC fan. I've played standard 000-28 but liked the EC better.

If you don't like the signature on the fretboard, you can black it out with a black Sharpie. It will scarcely show against the ebony board, and you could clean it off to restore the signature when the time came to sell it.

I do like the appointments and details of the EC much better than the standard 000-28.

Pretty sure Ponty here has (or had) a custom 000-28 with most of the EC features, but without the signature.

You just need a custom built Martin to fit what you want. Something not too crazy so it fits the right price range.

You just need a custom built Martin to fit what you want. Something not too crazy so it fits the right price range.

So speaks the guy who sells guitars for a living.... [biggrin]

Seriously, he's probably right. Martin's custom shop is alive and well, as I understand it. I get emails all the time inviting to have them build my "dream" guitar. But I already do too much dreaming, and not enough playing.

Yeah, I'm thinking small body also for '14 .... The L00 suits me great for blues and some folk music but doesn't seem to work as an all around instrument. May try out some Martins since their small body offerings are wide ranging.

I'm kind of intrigued by Martin's CEO7....its Martin's take on a 14 fret L-00. Comes dressed in a burst and should sell under $2K.

Don't think I will order one but I would like to see one to see how it feels and sounds. What IS coming in '14 though, is a custom ordered Halcyon. Its kind of an experiment...a 12 fret 000 with padauk back and sides and a lutz spruce top. Should be here around summertime.

Thanks for the input guys .... and Modoc may be right about a custom ... he has designed and ordered two custom keep forever TVs from Gibson that I grabbed up as soon as they arrived ...... perhaps I'll try that when I get past the avalance of auto repairs I'm going through (5 autos and 3 in the shop at the same time!)

The LG2 and the CJ165 are different instruments. The LG is not a budget version of the CJ. The CJ is kind of a shrunk-down super jumbo, but certainly not a budget version of the larger guitars. [thumbup]

Sorry MP I have got it wrong. The LG certainly looks like a CJ in size but I haven't played one to know the difference between the two. Perhaps members who have played both can fill me in.

So speaks the guy who sells guitars for a living.... [biggrin]

Seriously, he's probably right. Martin's custom shop is alive and well, as I understand it. I get emails all the time inviting to have them build my "dream" guitar. But I already do too much dreaming, and not enough playing.

Haha! True, but it's a convo he and I have already had in person and a road we have been down before. I want to sell him something CHEAPER than what I have hanging on the wall! :)

Archived