Gibson Brands Forums

More Customs Insanity as Instruments Considered Plants

drathbun

Audio link does not work for me, so I can only read the sensationalistic lead. Without more info, I'm not going to jump to any conclusions about what happened. Do you have a link to other reporting on this incident?

Follow-up: Found numerous other short articles on this incident, but they all derive from the original report from the musician who owned the bamboo flutes. Sounds like over-zealous enforcement if the details are as reported. I didn't realize there are such strict laws about importing bamboo products into the US, but if what I read is correct, the flutes probably should have been impounded until properly inspected, rather than destroyed.

I suspect there is more info to come on this case, and I am not in any way justifying the actions of the agents, but we really need the whole story.

Destroyed on the spot in front of him? This story doesn't ring true to me - I can understand Customs confiscating instruments they think contravene regulations but surely it's highly unlikely that a customs officer would smash them up on the spot.

It's frustrating if this story isn't correct because half-truths and rumours just muddy the waters further as to what we need to do to protect our instruments when travelling.

In the words of Chet....

Some of those flutes needed burning....

BluesKing777.

(He said guitars actually, about Jimi and Pete burning and breaking them).

Thanks BK- I had not heard that one before <good laugh>! I hope there are no overly sensitive flautists among us or here we go again.

So, we are to believe that customs confiscated 11, (eleven), (allegedlly), illegal flutes and then proceeded to smash all of the evidence in plain view of everyone in the airport? Let's see... Make up a BS story....Run with he BS story for a few news cycles....And then find out later the story was really made up BS...WERE HAVE I HEARD THIS BEFORE. HMMMMMMM. FAIR AND UNbalanced. I'm trying real hard Gibson, Lawd, I'm trying real hard.

Here's a link to a slightly more nuanced article from the Boston Globe. In this telling, instead of the musician watching in horror as his flutes were destroyed one by one in front of his eyes, they were removed from his checked luggage without his knowledge. He was later told they were destroyed (accidentally, presumably), as it was believed they were banned plants. No less frustrating and tragic for the flute-player, as he was not consulted or informed by customs, but (apparently) not the result of a deranged, power-drunk TSA officer with a stormtrooper mentality, as some (ahem, news) outlets would have us believe.

My link

Red 333

Customs can do what they wish if they find any flaw in a answer from a question, even if the person looks to be suspect.. Yup, they can do what they wish... theyll intimidate you , ask questions in many different ways to get one answer.. you mess up.. thats a flag to them.. seen it many times crossing the border.. I had two Vintage Martins removed from me at U.S customs No reasons what so ever.. in order for me to get those back.. I needed to hire a Lawyer from that State to retrieve what was rightfuly mine. I lost both guitars. the lawyers fees were way out of my affordability. if a instrument has any type of wood that is band.. they will confiscate it.. and do what they wish to make sure it does not get relocated.. they suspect any thing inside of those.. they will break them up to find what there looking for..

Bottom line is .. they do what they want.. and we have no recoarse..

Here's a link to a slightly more nuanced article from the Boston Globe. In this telling, instead of the musician watching in horror as his flutes were destroyed one by one in front of his eyes, they were removed from his checked luggage without his knowledge. He was later told they were destroyed (accidentally, presumably), as it was believed they were banned plants. No less frustrating and tragic for the flute-player, as he was not consulted or informed by customs, but (apparently) not the result of a deranged, power-drunk TSA officer with a stormtrooper mentality, as some (ahem, news) outlets would have us believe.

My link

Red 333

This article seems legit.... and we've discussed this stuff before.... and if I was an international-traveling musician, I wouldn't ship or attempt to take my guitars out of the country....

I'd obtain instruments in each country I'm working in so as not to have to deal with stupid customs people, (if they were real smart, would they HAVE that job?)

This article seems legit.... and we've discussed this stuff before.... and if I was an international-traveling musician, I wouldn't ship or attempt to take my guitars out of the country....

I'd obtain instruments in each country I'm working in so as not to have to deal with stupid customs people, (if they were real smart, would they HAVE that job?)

Customs pretty much has control over you in every country you enter, and as a "professional traveler", I've seen all kinds, throughout the world. They are often humorless and bound completely by their own regulations, for better or worse. I would never travel with an item such as a guitar that might possible contain banned materials.

Do not expect customs anywhere in the world to be able to distinguish between ivory and ivoroid, or between Indian rosewood and Brazilian rosewood, etc.

I have been asked for bribes by customs agents in several countries in the developing world, and have had my luggage searched in the developed world. Unfortunately, it's part of the "joy" of professional travel.

Customs pretty much has control over you in every country you enter, and as a "professional traveler", I've seen all kinds, throughout the world. They are often humorless and bound completely by their own regulations, for better or worse. I would never travel with an item such as a guitar that might possible contain banned materials.

Do not expect customs anywhere in the world to be able to distinguish between ivory and ivoroid, or between Indian rosewood and Brazilian rosewood, etc.

I have been asked for bribes by customs agents in several countries in the developing world, and have had my luggage searched in the developed world. Unfortunately, it's part of the "joy" of professional travel.

Nick, you're stating EXACTLY what I'd be afraid of..... some Customs Agent mistaking completely legal wood used in a guitar for something illegal and then holding on to it...for God knows how long..... storing it in a

cold/damp or Hot/Dry warehouse until they figure out it's okay depriving someone of their cherished instrument, or worse..... wrecking it.

I have no idea what really happened there, but the accounts presented so far do not give a complete enough picture to really form a judgement about it. From what I have read I note a few facts:

-This player makes the flutes himself from bamboo or some other reed

-He had a huge bunch of them in his luggage

-Customs says the luggage was unclaimed

There are some missing pieces here. Did he have any raw materials for flute building in the same case? Finding raw bamboo or reed would probably lead most US customs stations to destroy it. There are procedures you have to follow if you want to import it. This sounds draconian but is actually a very sensible precaution, especially in states like California where agriculture can be wiped out by a new pest.

Other questions: If the luggage was not claimed when he disembarked, what happened? What kind of identification and documentation did the luggage have?

How long did it sit unclaimed?

Another thing I really wonder about. He checked bamboo flutes into the cargo hold of an airplane? It's unbelievably dry in there. Some of them probably emerged in pieces unless he had airtight cases.

Archived