Gibson Brands Forums

Looking for a SJ-200.

solving

Thinking about getting a J-200 but don't know which one....

There's a 1938 reissue from 1994 in a store in nearby city of mine. Can anybody tell me if this modell is any good compared to the Mystic Roosewood or Prewar?

Is there any models of the 200 I should avoid?

I was for along time under the impression that the True Vintage models was the top of line.....true or false?

What model will replace the True Vintage?

Thankful for any input

I was not hunting at all for a 200, most I had played were not blow me away impressive, until I stumbled onto the 2002 standard model I now own. Maple back n sides, four ribbon bridge. Played a Western Classic last summer that was a killer guitar too. You may run into some dialogue regarding the pros and cons of two-ribbon vs four ribbon bridge (the pearl inlays) and break-angle. Not heard of any "avoiders", I think you do have to play 'em to find the best.

My best advice: play as many as you can find and don't focus on model, year, etc. The One will pick you.

I was like Dan, not looking to buy a 200 specifically. Just happened upon one in a local shop and it blew me away - it picked me.

My best advice: play as many as you can find and don't focus on model, year, etc. The One will pick you.

I was like Dan, not looking to buy a 200 specifically. Just happened upon one in a local shop and it blew me away - it picked me.

Ah yes, "the wand picks the wizard". That explains why, when I was shopping for a Hummingbird and tested 7 fine examples, I walked away with a JB. [unsure]

I have to agree with kebob. You have to play them. I was looking for a J200 and played a few. In my experience, the J200 seem to vary in tone more than any other Gibson model. Make sure it has newish strings on it when you play it. I found one that was lovely both in sight and sound. However, I hesitated and it disappeared from the shop before I could get it. I was lucky in that my music shop (Long & McQuade - Calgary) is a nationwide chain. They can search the country for one in their system and have it delivered to this store. Then when it arrived, L&M allowed me to play it for 30 days (30 days!!!) and decide whether I liked it or not. If I didn't like it, they'd take it back and find another one. Mine was brought in from Saskatchewan and it was and is a keeper.

play as many as you can . Montana has been building great stuff but every guitar they build vary a bit in sound because of the handwork they put ... some are more open that others and so on . play as many as you can and you will find that special one .

although they are going on their 120th ann so they might put out some cool custom shop versions this year .

JC

Solving, You asked about a 10 year old J200. They didn't have TVs back then. I think they were building the "standards" at that time at a comparable level of quality. If you can play a dozen side by side in the same store - go for it. If you have to have one of the few new ones available shipped across country to a store near you, you'll have to settle for that.

I read here, several years ago one experienced member saying that an SJ200 would be the one guitar he would have to play if he could only have one, forever. So, when I stumbled on a 2004 SJ200 I grabbed it. Nine years later, it remains the best sounding guitar I've ever come across. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, avoid new jangly strings and old crusty ones when trying out possible purchases, unless those are the string types you'll be playing with.

The SJ200 is "the King of the flat tops" in part because of the maple back and sides. Variations with rosewood, etc, will give you a warmer sound. But it will be a different guitar. Sort of like a Corvette with a six cylinder. I find it has the ability to sound warmer with maple depending upon your playing, but it won't sound like mahogany.

They are a bit larger. Some players with smaller framed bodies find that uncomfortable. Doveis an alternative if you like maple.

I read Emmylou Harris quoted recently that the sweetest sound she's ever heard is an SJ200 played with a barre A chord.

I might have gotten the chord wrong, and she might have said Gibson Super Jumbo, but you get the point.

And, like I said, I'm biased. Keep us updated on this fun part of your quest, Griffendor. G'Luck

Thinking about getting a J-200 but don't know which one....

There's a 1938 reissue from 1994 in a store in nearby city of mine. Can anybody tell me if this modell is any good compared to the Mystic Roosewood or Prewar?

Is there any models of the 200 I should avoid?

I was for along time under the impression that the True Vintage models was the top of line.....true or false?

What model will replace the True Vintage?

Thankful for any input

Looked for ten years off and on

Even had the money most of the time!

2 months ago I bought a 200 KOA

If you get the chance to try one then do so

But they guys talk sense

The wand will choose the wizard

But you may have to kiss a load of frogs before finding your princess

Be wary. It's nit the sort of guitar you buy without trying

And good luck

The 1994 Sunburst SJ200 Centennial was the best one in the line up for 1994.. Bound sound hole.. Rosewood back and sides.. Just a all around Nice Guitar.. I own a few of those... when I bought those... I went a little further and had a few brazilians made from the Gibson Custom shop later in 1994 , 95,... Then the J2000 were on the list after that..

My exposure to the J200's have been limited but I think this model varies more than the others perhaps due to the size of the guitar body.

I've played a few used standards that did nothing for me soundwise and most of them had very high string set up with no room for adjustment. I assumed a neck reset was needed.

I bought a new standard a coulpe years ago and have been battling the same high string problem. I was told it was over humidification. The sound of this one does nothing to me either.

A couple months I go I got a deal I could not pass up on a J200 Custom Rosewood. This one is definitely a keeper.

Recently I also bought a J185. I love this maple sound.

Bottomline. play as many as you can before you pick one. If you buy one on line use a 5 Star dealer ( I'm starting to believe they either get the better guitars or they check them out before they put them up for sale and return the bad ones) and be sure it has a return policy you can live with.

As a member of the J-200 Ex-Owners Club, I have to agree with a lot of the posters here. You can buy a J-45 sight unseen, and you're likely to get a pretty good guitar, but the Super Jumbos are hit and (mostly) miss. The good ones are great, the average ones are disappointing. I still long to have one in the stable, but don't regret the one I sold. I loved the look, loved the neck, the fit and finish was extraordinary, but the tone just wasn't there. I'll never buy one of these without trying it out. Someday I hope to run into a good one...

Archived