Gibson Brands Forums

I see this term from time to time on other forums, when referring to Gibson….

onewilyfool

I use that phrase now to differentiate from Norlin era and from vintage. I'm not sure when precisely his tenure was (but I'd like to know). I think his influence is felt in some residual processes or thinking among individuals in Bozeman and continues on right now in some models, not unlike what happened when Lloyd Loar left Gibson in the 1920's. I think enough of the man just from videos where he speaks and from reading what others have said about him that when it was time for me to round out my modest slope shoulder collection with a short scale 12 fretter I ended up buying a Ren Ferguson Guild Orpheum. His influence is apparent when I hold it and play it.

In earlier times wood cutting and shaping was done by hand. Turnover in factory personnel might affect the shape of necks or bracing. Nowadays almost all cutting and shaping is done with CNC. This means that for models which existed a couple years back while Ren was still at the company, any new guitars built now are virtually identical to ones made during Ren's tenure. Yes there are always slight differences in tuning machines, nut and saddle material, binding materials, etc. as all of these factories are constantly changing these accessories depending on the deals they find from their sources. Some of the hardwoods like ebony may come from different sources now but changes of this sort were happening all the while Ren was there. Basically a J-45 standard or TV built now is a Ferguson era guitar, made on the same molds by the same people and shaped with the same CNC programs. It would not be any different were Ren still working at Gibson.

The custom and high end areas are different. Ren did not work on or oversee the building of the regular guitars in the assembly line (though he did have a big hand in developing those processes). The place runs on autopilot. But for custom or high end guitars he often took charge of the build and ornamentation to a different degree. Most of these have his signature on the underside of the top.

Have no reason whatsoever to rate post R.F. guitars lower than when was he was the captain, but still, , , maybe it's time to define the Ren Ferguson era.

Didn't he stop pr. January 1. 2013. . .

My guess would be 1984 to 2013 - please correct this to the exact dates !

It's a brick that must fall into place.

Generalizations about Gibsons can of course be helpful and informative,

but it will always come down to evaluating them one piece at a time.

The questionable eras produced some great guitars in spite of shortcuts,

While the golden eras still had their fair share of mediocre production.

That said, will admit that I do enjoy owning a mandolin from the Loar era!

I actually have never heard anybody refer to a Gibson as a Ren Ferguson-era guitar.

I would think the signatures on a label most folks would covet would be Walker or Kopp (if such guitars do in fact exist) kinda the way folks go nuts over a late 1980s John Black or Fred Stuart Custom Shop Fender.

But my vote goes for Henry J-era Gibsons.

Yes, I am the very proud owner of a 'Ren Era' Blues King and a J45 .....

You also read that these Gibsons are wobbly, but the above is evidence against!

Both coming into their own now after a few years of playing.

BluesKing777.

If by wobbly you mean inconsistent, thats probably every era. Don't get me wrong, I love them and I'd spend months searching for the right Gibson rather than buy a consistent Martin or Taylor. Again, I think the most consistent Gibson era I've seen, and I've been in love with the things for 40 years, is now. Right now. But I'll have to see it this consistent for 10 years straight before I'll believe they've got their QC thing together as good as Taylor. Features aren't consistent. Specs aren't consistent. QC isn't consistent. I've walked into a 5-star dealer, recently, and played a J-45 Standard that ate the J-45TV hanging on the wall next to it alive. But they were both good-sounding guitars. And that's about as consistent as Gibon's gonna get. I've got a an "Original Jumbo" with AJ bracing and a belly-down bridge. And it's factory original!

But my God it sounds good. Personally, I find Gibson's eccentricity charming.

P

I actually have never heard anybody refer to a Gibson as a Ren Ferguson-era guitar.

I would think the signatures on a label most folks would covet would be Walker or Kopp (if such guitars do in fact exist) kinda the way folks go nuts over a late 1980s John Black or Fred Stuart Custom Shop Fender.

I have several custom shop guitars with both their names on the labels.

Have no reason whatsoever to rate post R.F. guitars lower than when was he was the captain, but still, , , maybe it's time to define the Ren Ferguson era.

Several dates to consider. Ren did work for Steve Carlson carving F-5 mando tops. Then Steve sold to Henry and Henry started production of Gibson acoustics in Bozeman in 1989. That was the start of the Gibson acoustic "Ren era".

Several dates to consider. Ren did work for Steve Carlson carving F-5 mando tops. Then Steve sold to Henry and Henry started production of Gibson acoustics in Bozeman in 1989. That was the start of the Gibson acoustic "Ren era".

Thanks - good important information.

As I recall it, Ferguson stopped by New Year, , , , as said it must have 12/13.

Although I'm not strong in numbers, it makes a 23 year-period. One can get around A LOT of acoustic Gibsons during plus 2 decades.

What a great piece of work to have in the trail, , , what a vision'n'contribution.

I take your point, since he saved the company, but we'll just have to see how the quality of the guitars holds up in the "post-Ren" period. I have only two "Ren era" Gibsons, and they are both superb in almost every way.

Ren Era? Its alive... your all playing Rens guitars.. if it was not for him then and after he left . I believe every new guitar you play is from Rens skills and Craftsmanship.

otherwize, you would all be buying and playing Norlin Double X braced Gibsons, .. Hj may have bought the company, but he sure didnt build the guitars..

Press Release: Ren Ferguson Retires

I would have thought that the 2013 date you said was right, but this is dated 1/11/12.

FMA

I think his influence is felt in some residual processes or thinking among individuals in Bozeman and continues on right now in some models, not unlike what happened when Lloyd Loar left Gibson in the 1920's.

Many of the innovations credited to Loar such as graduated soundboards and backs, elevated fretboard extensions, f-holes and such were around years before Loar started making instruments with those features at Gibson. Check out instruments built by Albert Shutt of Topeka, KS.

Archived