Gibson Brands Forums

Ruger SP101.

Murph

What a fine machine. Here in the land of Blago, we kill deer many ways. I use a 12 ga. slug gun.

We have the best deer in the Country by the way......

Anyhow, when I'm walking around my 30+ acres I usually pack this little 5 shot .357 S.S. magnum, and have got to love it. A lot of Cops use it for a backup, because those semi autos will jam.

Just a great gun for family protection, easy to conceal, reliable, ect.

Best to ya.

Murph.

I'd have to argue with you about your deer...WE definitely have the best deer in South Texas. I've taken many white tails with my Dan Wesson 8" .357 and a couple of muleys in Colorado with my S&W model 629. By the way, I'm almost totally deaf in my left ear now, between the music and the handguns. There aren't very many things in the world, louder than a .357 going off in your hand at 6am.

Murph,

I know that you like machines and mechanical stuff, I just wanted to post this link in case you've never seen a Dan Wesson...They are kool. I'm not knocking the SP101 and I have some Ruger rifles (10/22, Mod. 77 International in 30.06, Mod. 77 .22 hornet) but their pistols have never turned me on too much.

http://www.notpurfect.com/main/dwrev.htm

The only firearm I have left is a stainless steel colt .45

I used to have a Smith .357 L frame six shooter. That was nice, but with a 6" barrel it couldn't be concealed easily. I sold it along with all my reloading gear.

I've always wanted to go wild boar hunting with my .45

KSG.

I have a Dan Wesson .44 Mag. It's a CTG with Hogue Monogrip. 6" Stainless.

Damn fine gun. The barrel is huge in girth. Also have a Ruger Blackhawk .44 Mag.

What I like about the SP101 though, is the small frame 5 shot revolver will literally fit in your front pocket. It's my go to gun for road trips, walkabouts, and things that go bump in the night.......

I just sold a Remington model 700............... drum roll please.........................

.375 Holland and Holland Magnum.

I got it when my Dad died, and really didn't plan on going elephant hunting, so I turned it into a Gibson ES-339 with a little help from quitting smoking.

And I have enough tools to keep the peace on my block for awhile.

Best to ya.

Murph.

What is louder than a .357 Magnum?

I get more noise out of my S&W .44 Mag (Clint loves it too: "Make my day, Punk...")

For JCM800 kind of blast I take to my Marlin 45-70.

Deer here in Manitoba are very tasty (grain fed) and they fall to a 300 REM Ultramag

over quite a distance and don't even know what hit them!

I guess Ted Nugent will agree.

I agree with Guitarrooster:

We have good grainfed deer here in Manitoba.

One of them is in my freezer.

Yes, Handguns only on then shooting range. But I have a lot of fun

with my S&W .44 Mag.

For deer I use a 300 Rem Ultramag for longshots, in the brush the Marlin

in 45-70 works well as a brushcutter and is big enough for big bears.

And it is loud as my JCM800 with 4x12.

Guess Ted Nugent will agree.

This was my great-Uncle's. He gave it to my Dad. Dad changed the grips, I have the originals. I inherited it when Dad passed and had it blued and got the timing reset. Yeah, yeah, I know but it's my family's gun and it's not gonna get sold and the bluing was absolutely gone.. It was made in 1906, a S&W Police/Military .38 special. Should'a seen the look on my Son's face when I passed it along to him. :)

Revolver01.jpg

What is louder than a .357 Magnum?...

We lit off my youngest son's Super Redhawk in '454 Casull at the handgun range one morning.

It shook the whole building. Stuff was falling out of the rafters and ceiling!

Now, a .357 magnum has a nice "crack" to it and cuts through like a Telecaster,

but a .454 Casull out of a 7&1/2" pipe will be heard over in the solar system next door.

I'd have to argue with you about your deer...WE definitely have the best deer in South Texas. I've taken many white tails with my Dan Wesson 8" .357 and a couple of muleys in Colorado with my S&W model 629. By the way' date=' I'm almost totally deaf in my left ear now, between the music and the handguns. There aren't very many things in the world, louder than a .357 going off in your hand at 6am.[/quote']

Best deer in the country? I bet you tell your wife this is 6" ________________________________.

Texas has some tiny little things.

My last deer was a 8 pointer and weighed 120lbs. (dressed). Where I used to hunt that wouldn't even have raised an eyebrow. BTW got that one with a 'Deer Slayer' Ruger single shot 12 gauge @ 50 yards.

I also had a Dan Wesson model 14/2 .357 w/interchangable barrels.

Best deer in the country? I bet you tell your wife this is 6" ________________________________.

Sh1t that's a foot at least...

Texas has some tiny little things.

I was speaking of the rack' date=' the deer are about the size of a greyhound. Now in Colorado the Muleys are huge (at least when you have to carry them) the Elk are about the size of a horse.

My last deer was a 8 pointer and weighed 120lbs. (dressed). Where I used to hunt that wouldn't even have raised an eyebrow. BTW got that one with a 'Deer Slayer' Reuger single shot 12 gauge @ 50 yards.

It's illegal to put a dress on a deer here.

I also had a Dan Wesson model 14/2 .357 w/interchangable barrels.

I thought that I was the only cool guy with a Dan Wesson...But two of ya'll are familiar with them, we have good taste!

Archived