Gibson Brands Forums

J 35 Collectors Edition

JuanCarlosVejar

I don't get this one either :

http://davesguitar.c...imited-edition/

MOP logo & butter bean tuners on a J 35 ?

they should have called it an original jumbo IMO

JC

Looks a lot like the Fuller's J-35, except for the pup.

https://web.archive....mart/Itemid,27/ (scroll down a bit for the J35 pics)

The FVG J-35 IMO is several orders better than the current J-35.

FVG Specs:

Red Spruce top

30's style script logo

luthiers choice Neck(1.77)

30's burst

Wide x advanced bracing

Honduran Mahogany back and sides

nickel open back tuners

I don't see the 1300 price increase over the standard J35. Aside from the Adi top (and that depends often on the listener) I don't see why it's a better guitar.

When you say $1300 increase over the standard J35 are you talking street price or MAP ?

I don't see the 1300 price increase over the standard J35. Aside from the Adi top (and that depends often on the listener) I don't see why it's a better guitar.

I agree, this looks like a wonderful idea from the marketing dept.

Yet another in a long line of instant collectibles.

Might be a really nice guitar but as somebody else said I am not sure there is enough dfference between this one and the stock version to warrant laying out all of that extra scratch.

I don't blink an eye any longer at Gibson's departure from original specs on their "period" guitars though. At least this one does not have the banner.

Yes, looks very similar to the Fuller's Vintage 1939 J-35 Reissue.

Can't tell if this Collector's Edition has it, but the Fuller's J-35 has the the Advanced Jumbo's low and wide back braces. I think these relatively large braces are one of the reasons the Fuller's J-35 sounds different (drier and woodier) from the J-45 True Vintage, which would otherwise be similar structurally (mahogany b+s/neck, adi top, short scale, AJ top bracing).

Another obvious difference between the Collector's Edition and the FV J-35 is that the Fuller's has the OJ's small burst.

The nut width seems to indicate that, like the Fuller's J-35, the Collector's Edition also has the Luthier's Choice neck dimensions.

I have ten Gibson slopes, and the Fuller's J-35 is in the top two or three according to my taste. While maybe not historically accurate, the Collector's Edition J-35 should be a fine guitar, too.

Red 33

Can't tell if this Special Edition has it, but the Fuller's J-35 has the the Advanced Jumbo's low and wide back braces. I think these relatively large braces are one of the reasons the Fuller's J-35 sounds different (drier and woodier) from the J-45 True Vintage, which would otherwise be similar structurally (mahogany b+s/neck, adi top, short scale, AJ top bracing).

Another obvious difference between the Special Edition and the FV J-35 is that the Fuller's has the OJ's small burst.

The nut width seems to indicate that, like the Fuller's J-35, the Special Edition also has the Luthier's Choice neck dimensions.

I have ten Gibson slopes, and the Fuller's J-35 is in the top two or three according to my taste. While maybe not historically accurate, the Special Edition J-35 should be a fine guitar, too.

Red 33

My thoughts as well- Fuller's hasn't had their J35 for awhile- when I saw this, I wondered about the bracing & if this is essentially the Fuller's Redux.

If this has the bracing in addition to the luthier's choice wide neck, Adi & burst, then it's not at all another iteration of the current J35, but is a different beast altogether.

My now-gone(the neck did me in) FVG J35 was the best Gibson I ever owned from a tonal perspective. No current J35 that I've tried could touch it - admittedly a small sample, so YMMV.

The price has me baffled as well...

The MAP price on the Site seems justifiable to me, subject to more detail. About the same as the Fuller's which this is closer to than the budget nat top J35 released last year.

Continuing with the randomization of historical appointments. Burst isnt right, either. Get past all that, it's mos' likely a ncie gutiar.....

Yep. And it works for me. My 03 OJ is...uh..."vintagesque"... But it's a great guitar. Maybe greater, for me, than an authentic reproduction would be.

P

Can't tell if this Collector's Edition has it, but the Fuller's J-35 has the the Advanced Jumbo's low and wide back braces. I think these relatively large braces are one of the reasons the Fuller's J-35 sounds different (drier and woodier) from the J-45 True Vintage, which would otherwise be similar structurally (mahogany b+s/neck, adi top, short scale, AJ top bracing).

Another obvious difference between the Collector's Edition and the FV J-35 is that the Fuller's has the OJ's small burst.

The nut width seems to indicate that, like the Fuller's J-35, the Collector's Edition also has the Luthier's Choice neck dimensions.

I have ten Gibson slopes, and the Fuller's J-35 is in the top two or three according to my taste. While maybe not historically accurate, the Collector's Edition J-35 should be a fine guitar, too.

Red 33

Red 33

So which is your favorite guitar in your collection....in my teens and 20s acoustic guitar use to be my first choice to play but then I got hooked on Fender Telecasters but I really don't play out that much anymore.....so I'm thinking of getting a high end acoustic guitar

"Red 33 So which is your favorite guitar in your collection....I'm thinking of getting a high end acoustic guitar
Jumping in friendly like, the Fullers J35s and OJS are really good if you dont mind the wider and chuncky neck; if so, then the 45TVs, but really any of the adi-topped hogs models would be good.

Red 33

So which is your favorite guitar in your collection....in my teens and 20s acoustic guitar use to be my first choice to play but then I got hooked on Fender Telecasters but I really don't play out that much anymore.....so I'm thinking of getting a high end acoustic guitar

Blues Boy, my favorite is maybe the J-45 Legend. However, the J-45 True Vintage, while a bit different and perhaps more modern-sounding, is in most ways equally satisfying. I think it's a great mix of old and new, and captures most everything I love about Gibsons. I would check that out first if you're looking for a Gibson slope.

Red 333

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it either as it competes with the newer,value targeted model.IMO ,Fuller's made the best J-35 variations in the late 90's-early 2000's,had Gibson adhere to some real traditional and performance aspects that produced the best versions.Both Sitka and Adi was used,but all I played had a distinct,full and commanding sound,quite different than the J-45's until the TV line came around.

I just bought the 2014 J-35 Collectors Edition. I A/B tested it against the J45 True Vintage. They sound very similar. I'd say the only difference to my ears is the J35 is a bit louder and has a thicker neck. Maybe a bit more balanced than the j45 TV as well.

Archived