Gibson Brands Forums

J15 or J35?

Gibson Artist

Walnut for a guitar seems like a kind of rare wood, ive never seen or played one. My budget is about the range j-15 or j-35 and while i loved the 35 when i played it i didnt see or get to try any j-15s so i might have to buy it online if i buy one.

Anyone here own a walnut guitar and can offer some insight into their life as a tonewood? My gf LOVES the look of the J-15 and keeps saying that is the one i should choose if i buy a Gibson acoustic. We live on a budget and while i was really wanting the j35 the 15 is more in our price range, i was just unsure how a walnut body guitar would sound down the road? Does it age as good as other tonewoods?

I want to join the club here and be an official Gibson acoustic owner, one day....ill be in the club :)

I own a 2 yr old Jackson Browne 12 fret, w Walnut back n sides. Sounds just as fabulous today as when it was new. I don't notice any aging difference yet. A fe weeks ago I played a 15 and a 35. If I had to choose that day, I would have happily acquired the 15. YMMV.

Hi GA,

Recently I visited the Gibson factory and retail store in Memphis and had the opportunity to play quite a few guitars. Of the acoustics there is no doubt that the J15 was the best sounding instrument, bar none. It sounded better than all the higher priced guitars in my opinion, even my wife (who has zero interest in guitars) thought it sounded great. Of course, all opinions are subjective and one Man's meat is another Man's poison, but I'd be very surprised if you didn't like it.

Regards,

Ian

Hi GA,

Recently I visited the Gibson factory and retail store in Memphis and had the opportunity to play quite a few guitars. Of the acoustics there is no doubt that the J15 was the best sounding instrument, bar none. It sounded better than all the higher priced guitars in my opinion, even my wife (who has zero interest in guitars) thought it sounded great. Of course, all opinions are subjective and one Man's meat is another Man's poison, but I'd be very surprised if you didn't like it.

Regards,

Ian

Wow, thats great ian. It would also keep the little woman happy if i did get the 15 and its certainly very handsome.

My J-15 tends to lean in the direction of the percussive & punchy sound of maple, which I love for fingerpicking. Of course each one will be a bit different, so you won't know for sure until actually playing one.

Build quality on mine is very high, with a good neck angle & plenty of saddle to play with. The neck on this one feels somewhat slim & fast, which again is what I prefer.

I did see another example in a Guitar Center where the bookmatched seam on the back was significantly off kilter at the point where it joins the neck heel, but that's the only visual flub out of three J-15s I've had in hand.

Yesterday I played for the first time a J15.

As you know I live in Sofia, Bulgaria and here we have only one Gibson Shop for the country (about 7 000 000 people)

This is the one and only J15 in the city and in the whole country.

The build qualiry is very good.

The top is perfect and the back is a WOW walnut!

Man, the walnut back is a really beautiful piece of wood... The sides are beautiful too.

I played about 15 minutes and I can tell you that the sound is deep, not crunchy as the mahogany J35 sound.

I think that there is less highs in tje J15 than in the J35.

The isntrument is very playable and responsive.

The neck feels the same as the neck of my J35

If they had a J15 and a J35 in the shop last summer when I bought my J35 I am almost sure that I would buy the J15.

It is really hard to decide which one... Both are very good instruments.

Of course with the proviso that the tusk saddle&nut and the plastic pins MUST be replaced with bone ones.

And the ugly sounding L.R.Baggs Element has no place inside that Gibson Acoustic...

Can't comment on tone, as I haven't played one, but walnut is a fine tone wood falling somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. This I can comment on, as I've seen pictures - the maple neck against that walnut back us just stunning. I wish they had taken it one step further and bound the body in maple, but I understand it's a budget instrument. Wish they'd make a budget level LOO-15, or a LG2-15...:)

P

As you know I live in Sofia, Bulgaria and here we have only one Gibson Shop for the country (about 7 000 000 people)

Man, the walnut back is a really beautiful piece of wood... The sides are beautiful too.

I played about 15 minutes and I can tell you that the sound is deep, not crunchy as the mahogany J35 sound.

If they had a J15 and a J35 in the shop last summer when I bought my J35 I am almost sure that I would buy the J15.

Of course with the proviso that the tusk saddle&nut and the plastic pins MUST be replaced with bone ones.

And the ugly sounding L.R.Baggs Element has no place inside that Gibson Acoustic...

Getting replacement pins will probably be something id do, other than that id leave the saddle alone unless i wanted the action lowered a bit. One dealer for the entire country? I hope you live nearby!

Can't comment on tone, as I haven't played one, but walnut is a fine tone wood falling somewhere between mahogany and rosewood. This I can comment on, as I've seen pictures - the maple neck against that walnut back us just stunning. I wish they had taken it one step further and bound the body in maple, but I understand it's a budget instrument. Wish they'd make a budget level LOO-15, or a LG2-15...:)

P

Ive heard walnut is an excellent tonewood but i dont know how long Gibson will use it so if this is the model i get ill be sure to buy it this year. Almost traded for a gibby oo but prefer a bigger size, if i already had the 15 or 35 i would have.

I have two walnut guitars (AJ & JB) and they are totally different so the style/build of the guitar is probably the most determining factor with the walnut adding a slight variance.

I think my AJ has a more loud booming sound as most AJ do and the whole guitar vibrates like hell when you play it. Everyone one of my friends get a big smile on their face when they play and feel it. As far as the sound, it's different from all my others.

The Jackson Browne has been describe as a grand piano of guitars. A totally different but nice sound. It sounds closer to my hog guitars.

I played one of these the other day (laminated walnut)

http://www.seagullguitars.com/seagull_excursion_walnut.html

For the price I don't think you could go wrong.

Our GC has gone crazy. Within the last week it went from 2 Gibsons (J35 and a Hummingbird Pro) to 8 Gibsons. They've added a TV Hummingbird, a J15, a J29, an amber burst J45 used, a standard J45 and a J200. I spent nearly two hours there today playing guitars. There were a half-dozen of us going through the Gibsons, one-after-another. That J45 was a Standard model I think, aside from the burst. J200 was a regular maple. The Hummingbird TV sounded really sweet, but the nut felt a bit narrow for me. First TV bird I "think" I've played and I was a bit disappointed in how it felt to my fingers. The neck was great, but I was getting a lot of squeaky strings and string buzzing from partially fretting strings I didn't intend to touch. That's not an indictment of the guitar by any means, just didn't fit my hands as well I was hoping. Someone else will love it. Don't remember anything in particular about the J29. Nice guitar. Loud guitar. The J15 was very nice. I was impressed by its tone and how strong the bass was. Good mids and highs, but not chimmy or brittle sounding. Also, the back of this guitar was something to look at. The walnut sounded and look good.....Nice to see Gibsons taking-up most of a wall once again. It's been at least 4-5 years since this particular store had this many Gibsons at one time......Back to the J15---I was impressed with it. Perhaps these three new Gibson models are a bit on the "unadorned" side, but the maple neck of the J15 is a brilliant contrast to the walnut back and sides. Really striking and elegant. The two woods together kind of create their own bling. I've been looking-around for an AJ, but this J15 is an attention getter. I wish the Hummingbird TV was one with the wider nut. Sweet guitar.........Anyway, I wish you could have seen the people swarming all over the selection of Gibsons. [thumbup]

Our GC has gone crazy. Within the last week it went from 2 Gibsons (J35 and a Hummingbird Pro) to 8 Gibsons. They've added a TV Hummingbird, a J15, a J29, an amber burst J45 used, a standard J45 and a J200. I spent nearly two hours there today playing guitars. There were a half-dozen of us going through the Gibsons, one-after-another. That J45 was a Standard model I think, aside from the burst. J200 was a regular maple. The Hummingbird TV sounded really sweet, but the nut felt a bit narrow for me. First TV bird I "think" I've played and I was a bit disappointed in how it felt to my fingers. The neck was great, but I was getting a lot of squeaky strings and string buzzing from partially fretting strings I didn't intend to touch. That's not an indictment of the guitar by any means, just didn't fit my hands as well I was hoping. Someone else will love it. Don't remember anything in particular about the J29. Nice guitar. Loud guitar. The J15 was very nice. I was impressed by its tone and how strong the bass was. Good mids and highs, but not chimmy or brittle sounding. Also, the back of this guitar was something to look at. The walnut sounded and look good.....Nice to see Gibsons taking-up most of a wall once again. It's been at least 4-5 years since this particular store had this many Gibsons at one time......Back to the J15---I was impressed with it. Perhaps these three new Gibson models are a bit on the "unadorned" side, but the maple neck of the J15 is a brilliant contrast to the walnut back and sides. Really striking and elegant. The two woods together kind of create their own bling. I've been looking-around for an AJ, but this J15 is an attention getter. I wish the Hummingbird TV was one with the wider nut. Sweet guitar.........Anyway, I wish you could have seen the people swarming all over the selection of Gibsons. [thumbup]

Ive played 2 Gibson j200s and they were incredible. Never tried a hummingbird but i did try an j45 and i kid you not, i liked the tone better from the j35. I used to think a Gibson acoustic was a pipe dream but now with these lower priced models i can actually get into the game. Kudos to Gibson for making a quality guitar that a blue collar player can enjoy.

The choice between the 35 and 15 is difficult but since my little lady likes the 15 more she may win out. Thing is with that beautiful finish and sound ive heard on youtube i doubt ill comeplain!

One of the main deference's in the J-15 is Standard X bracing and the J-35 has forward X bracing so the tone will be different

I've played 2 J-35s and 1 J-15 the J-15 was a little stiff sounding and hopefully would open up the 2 J-35 were more lively but still needed time to open up more

In that price range, don't rule out a used standard J-45 from the mid 2000s -- the ones with the vintage style tuners and silkscreened gold headstock logo. I have found them to be built a little lighter than the new ones anyway. I played a used one like this at a Guitar Center a few months ago and it knocked my socks off. I've already got a really nice slope shoulder guitar and wasn't looking to add another just yet otherwise I might have seen how much they'd be willing to take to part with it. The asking price was probably in the range of a new J-35 and they probably would have gone down a bit.

• 5 months later...

Walnut for a guitar seems like a kind of rare wood, ive never seen or played one. My budget is about the range j-15 or j-35 and while i loved the 35 when i played it i didnt see or get to try any j-15s so i might have to buy it online if i buy one.

Anyone here own a walnut guitar and can offer some insight into their life as a tonewood? My gf LOVES the look of the J-15 and keeps saying that is the one i should choose if i buy a Gibson acoustic. We live on a budget and while i was really wanting the j35 the 15 is more in our price range, i was just unsure how a walnut body guitar would sound down the road? Does it age as good as other tonewoods?

I want to join the club here and be an official Gibson acoustic owner, one day....ill be in the club :)

I've played two, bought one, and I wasn't in the market for a new guitar. I don't think you can go wrong with the J-15. I haven't played my PRS' or Bourgeois' too much since I got the Gibby. I did change out the tuners for vintage style Gibson tulips and the saddle and pins for bone. Just works better in my opinion.

Archived