Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone know how to get rid of hornets nest?

saturn

I went over there Sunday night with a long pole clipper, but couldn't hold it steady enough without jostling the branch. Plus it was hard to see in the dark. I gave up.

My wife is waiting for an answer from a friend of hers who's husband is in pest control. I still may end up doing it myself, but not sure yet. Since it's only hanging from that one thin branch, I think putting a sack around it shouldn't be too difficult. I can get stung a few times, but I don't want to whole nest descending on me. [scared]

It really was a beautiful nest. They are amazing little creatures. If you could have waited till the first good freeze it would have been a simple matter of cutting it down and tossing it into a sealed bag.They used to sell powdered cyanide in hardware stores, you put it in a hand held puffer. It is a small cylinder of rubber with metal caps on each end and a thin metal tube protruding from one of the metal caps. when you squeeze the puffer the dust comes out in a cloud. The way to use it is, you put on a bee suit, you get a ladder set up, at sundown you climb up and place the tube into the entrance and hold your breath! Squeeze the puffer and in about 2 seconds every wasp in the nest is dead.If you take a breath of the stuff you will be too. That is why they don't sell that stuff anymore!

I've done it and emerged unscathed. In retrospect, I would have just left the nest alone as they really weren't hurting anyone.

Ya this ^

The only reason I removed(3 nests now) them is I have young kids. Otherwise they don't bother me.

And using those cans works really well.

Go for it.. the adrenaline rush is a hoot.

Just follow the instructions and do it at night.

<<< had to deal w/an underground yellow-jacket nest yesterday.......examined the area for "exit holes" which they bore immediately after the hive is established.

saw none, so it took only one bottle half filled w/gasoline to plug the "entrance" hole.

NO I do NOT ignite the gas.......but in late winter i'll remove the bottle from the hole.

We always seem to find those using power equipment. My mother found the last one mowing the border of her garden. They got her pretty good.

About 10-12 years ago I found 2, once when I was running a DR mower to clear out and replace a fence line. Luckily I had my Trooper really close.

I left the mower running for about 20-30 minutes while sitting in the 4x4 with the windows up! They finally disappeared.

The second time I was cutting a downed tree about 50 feet from the first nest. A couple of those got me before I hid in the 4WD again.

When the Bald-Faced Hornet nest in the barn was found I had the Wasp & Hornet Spray in one hand and a long narrow stick in the other.

I got about 6 or 7 before the one got me. He would have hit me between the eyes without some evasive action!

They fly very fast and, unlike bees, will sting multiple times if they can.

Has anyone else experienced the terror of riding through a swarm of bees while ride a motorcycle at a high rate of speed ? No fun having a bee in your bonnet and your shirt at the same time..

Not swarms, but I have had individuals get under my shirt sleeves. Some traveling all the way into my shirt before stinging.

I stumbled on a ground nest a couple of weeks ago when clearing some old wood from a tree felling. They got me 7 times. I went back in the evening and sprayed with wasp killer and the next day the area was still swarming with them. I'm waiting for a freeze now. I usually get stung about once a year and it only hurts for a little while and goes away completely. Not this time. These stings hurt like heck for many hours and left marks for 2 weeks.

Good thing I'm not allergic.

Well they're gone! A friend of mine, 20 years my senior BTW, went over there and removed them.

Believe it or not, here's how he did it. He just pulled his pickup truck underneath the nest. Put a trash can lined with a heavy bag directly under. He clipped the branch and when it fell into the can he closed the bag and put another bag over that. Somehow he didn't get stung once. He took the whole thing to a secluded wooded area and jettisoned it from his truck. Now there are still about 30 hornets hovering around where it used to be.

We always seem to find those using power equipment. My mother found the last one mowing the border of her garden. They got her pretty good.

About 10-12 years ago I found 2, once when I was running a DR mower to clear out and replace a fence line. Luckily I had my Trooper really close.

I left the mower running for about 20-30 minutes while sitting in the 4x4 with the windows up! They finally disappeared.

The second time I was cutting a downed tree about 50 feet from the first nest. A couple of those got me before I hid in the 4WD again.

When the Bald-Faced Hornet nest in the barn was found I had the Wasp & Hornet Spray in one hand and a long narrow stick in the other.

I got about 6 or 7 before the one got me. He would have hit me between the eyes without some evasive action!

They fly very fast and, unlike bees, will sting multiple times if they can.

when I was a kid my neighbor kid got stung ON THE EYEBALL by a bumblebee......the day he got home from the hospital for spotted fever.......he went blind in that eye.......poor kid

Archived