Gibson Brands Forums

guitar polish

g6120

You also don't want to use any store brand polishes that may contain citric acid (real lemon oil). The acids in lemon oil break down the finish of nitro finished guitars. It may also aid in the corrosion of the frets and reduce string life.

"Someone mentioned that using lemon oil on the fretboard might tarnish the frets...is there something else that can be used to oil the fretboard. I've been using lemon oil for years...but I know that Martin Guitar Co. does not recommend the use of lemon oil. "

Well' date=' just to add another view on [i']fretboard[/i] oils, the fanatics at Alembic do recommend pure lemon oil on the fretboard (most, but not all, of theirs are unfinished ebony)

Alembic fingerboard oil FAQ post

I keep planning to polish down the guitars and oil the fretboards, but I never do. When it comes down to it, it doesn't seem to me that they really need it. I wipe 'em down at the end of each day I play 'em, and wipe down good the fretboards when I change the strings. I find that that's enough for me.

I may polish 'em one day, but that day just never seems to come...

I keep planning to polish down the guitars and oil the fretboards' date=' but I never do. When it comes down to it, it doesn't seem to me that they really need it.[/quote']

Jayla, I bet you've got Bob Colosi endpins, bridge, etc. Not only do they improve the tone, they also remove the need for guitar cleaning ;)

Jayla' date=' I bet you've got Bob Colosi endpins, bridge, etc. Not only do they improve the tone, they also remove the need for guitar cleaning ;)[/quote']

Well, I don't have Colosi saddles, nuts, and pins on my guitars, but this may be a good reason to consider getting some...

Suprised nobody mentioned Virtuoso cleaner and polish. Made for nitro. Considerd to be top tier. I used it on a 50s gibby that had never been cleaned and it removed 5 cloth fulls of brownish crud and then polished it to a full gloss..

I like this stuff too. I will also 2nd the Micro fiber cloth. I hardly ever polish my guitars, since someone mentioned the cloth. (on this the greatest forum in the world) I clean & polish my guitars only once or twice a year.

The Micro fiber cloth does a good job of keeping my guitars clean.

Suprised nobody mentioned Virtuoso cleaner and polish. Made for nitro. Considerd to be top tier. I used it on a 50s gibby that had never been cleaned and it removed 5 cloth fulls of brownish crud and then polished it to a full gloss..

I use virtuoso for the dirty vintage guitars. Amazing stuff, but for me too muck work the shiny new Bozeman Gibbys. I used 2 rags recently for the just the neck of a '75 D-18.

• 10 months later...

Last night I did the once-a-year guitar cleaning routine....

Rub down with Adam's Swirl and Haze Remover, a non-abrasive automotive product that does a great job of polishing out fine scratches, forearm rash, stray pick marks, etc. It removes old polish layers as well......good surface prep. Check it out here: Adam's Swirl & Haze Remover

Apply Gibson Fretboard Oil to the bridge and board heavily, work it in good and clean up excess with microfiber cloth.

Do the body and neck with Virtuoso Cleaner, removing any traces of the swirl remover and board oil residue. Now he's ready for......

Virtuoso Polish, applied with a scrap of an old flannel shirt over the whole thing, neck and all. Ah! Set it down to dry and head out back for a smoke while it dries thoroughly.

Buff it out with a clean microfiber cloth to a very deep, high gloss finish. Virtuoso does not powder up when buffed off.....it just vanishes. Stunning finish from this stuff, highly resistant to smudging and fingerprints and it lasts for a very long time.

Just like guitars, every player has his/her favorite stuff to maintain their instrument.....there is no right or wrong approach........

.......unless you're considering taking a DA buffer to the top of your J45! [cool]

Gibson pump polish (orange and white bottle). It contains trace amounts of nitro (same finish as your guitar). Great stuff. Works well as after shave also.

I stay happy with this approach.

Someone mentioned that using lemon oil on the fretboard might tarnish the frets...is there something else that can be used to oil the fretboard. I've been using lemon oil for years...but I know that Martin Guitar Co. does not recommend the use of lemon oil.

I really like this for my fretboard' date=' bridge.... http://www.gerlitzusa.com/prd_honey.html

I believe they should have it at Guitar Center

honey_large.jpg

When I bought my Les Paul Studio the Rosewood fretboard had a talc like dust all over it...I think it was polishing compound from polishing the body. I used the Guitar Honey and a cotton ball to clean it all off and the fretboard looked great after wards.

Otherwise for my acoustics I alternate between the Stew-Mac preservation polish and the orange label Gibby Pump Polish. The Stew-Mac is great for light duty cleaning and then I use the Gibby polish for the big cleanings.

guitarstrummer wrote:

Gibson pump polish (orange and white bottle). It contains trace amounts of nitro (same finish as your guitar). Great stuff. Works well as after shave also.

+1 Gibson Pump Polish(orange bottle)

It works great and it removed the haze and residue swirls left by Virtuoso cleaner and polish, which IMHO I think that Virtuoso is best used to clean and revive an old or cruddy finish. Maybe I should have researched it's use first and was using it for the wrong thing of simply cleaning and polishing my new guitar.

Lesson learned ....so now I microfiber cloth everything after playing and then when I want some polish use Gibson Pump Polish (no residue left behind and easy maintenance).

Archived