Gibson Brands Forums

50 Winters, on the J-45 Legend

duluthdan

This song was written after spending 20 minutes spaeaking with 96 yeaar-old Kurt Bresnitz. Holocaust survivor, tattooed arm and all. For decades Kurt was the only watch repair guy in Aspen. 10 years ago his wife Lottie died, and he is so so lonely. Afte Kurt left, I ran to my office guitar and wrote this song, literraly in 4 minutes.I played this for a local artist in Woody Creek, and he requested I put this down and send it to him, so I thought if he has to suffer throught this,.... You'll note my deft recording skills and sloppy playing. Yep. I guess that's my hall mark. [biggrin] Recorded on IPad, using an external USB mic - Audio Technica or something like that. Recorded "raw", I have no clue how to add reverb or such. The Legend sounds much deeper, with a broader sound, rounder? In person. Notice the thumb wrap, even with its huge full profile Louisville Slugger neck, I find this easy to play. Of course, I've never ventured further than the 3rd fret. [crying]

This song was written after spending 20 minutes spaeaking with 96 yeaar-old Kurt Bresnitz. Holocaust survivor, tattooed arm and all. For decades Kurt was the only watch repair guy in Aspen. 10 years ago his wife Lottie died, and he is so so lonely. Afte Kurt left, I ran to my office guitar and wrote this song, literraly in 4 minutes.I played this for a local artist in Woody Creek, and he requested I put this down and send it to him, so I thought if he has to suffer throught this,.... You'll note my deft recording skills and sloppy playing. Yep. I guess that's my hall mark. [biggrin] Recorded on IPad, using an external USB mic - Audio Technica or something like that. Recorded "raw", I have no clue how to add reverb or such. The Legend sounds much deeper, with a broader sound, rounder? In person. Notice the thumb wrap, even with its huge full profile Louisville Slugger neck, I find this easy to play. Of course, I've never ventured further than the 3rd fret. [crying]

Fine job.

Thank you so much for the kind remarks. Wish I could record and play better,but glad you heard the song. Sal, “throaty” is a good descriptor of that Legend - I’d only used that term before to describe 2-stroke outboard motors, but yeah, its fits this guitar. Glad you liked the “hook”, it came way too easy. I have rather smallish hands actually, must’ve been the camera angle, but I’ve yet to encounter a guitar neck that I could not “thumb wrap” to get that low “F” note.

I have a YouTube Channel? I don’t really know what that means, but I only send originals to the “tube”, so it may be awhile for new stuff, or it could happen tomorrow, I never know. But, in deference to my 86 year-old mother, I promised her I would never post again in my bathrobe...

Archived