Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Midtown

Drog

Well, i could not pass up on this guitar. It plays great, sounds great and looks great. My new Gibson Midtown Custom. It sounds closer to a Les Paul, but more air to it. Really fast player and low, low action. Its a pleasure to play.

A few pics, one without pickguard ( which is how I like it). I will be changing out the knobs to a top hat vintage style.

imagejpg1_zps3977a6d3.jpg

imagejpg2_zps87fad2de.jpg

imagejpg1_zps046d603c.jpg

Congrats! Sweet guitar. Bought my 2011 Midtown Custom when I was trying out all the Les Pauls at one of the local GC's.

Please be sure to let all the countertop fretboard snobs know what you think of the Richlite fretboard [tongue] . I love mine! [thumbup]

Congrats! Sweet guitar. Bought my 2011 Midtown Custom when I was trying out all the Les Pauls at one of the local GC's.

Please be sure to let all the countertop fretboard snobs know what you think of the Richlite fretboard [tongue] . I love mine! [thumbup]

You would never know it was not ebony, my fingers even had black on them ,lol. This guitar is a real gem, especially at the low price they go for. Its a steal.

Lovely guitar! Many congrats.

Pick Long and Prosper!

You would never know it was not ebony...

Although I don't own a Richlite 'boarded guitar my own experience with them exactly matches both of yours, gentlemen.

I understand the reluctance of the 'Traditionalists' who maintain that a guitar such as the LP Custom should always be crafted with an ebony fingerboard - in fact I agree with them - but Richlite, of itself, makes for a very comfortable, silky-smooth-playing, good-looking 'board. On a recently designed & introduced model such as the various Midtowns I can see no reason to object to it's use whatsoever.

IMO, of course.

P.

Congratulations on the new Midtown Custom.

I like the Midtown formula, the hogged out mahogany body and solid maple cap, like you said, the sound is like an LP but more air to it. I have the Midtown Kalamazoo, again, more like an LP in sound but with more air to it and, in the case of the Kalamazoo, with the playability of the Byrdland scale.

I've never used a Richlite fretboard (the Kalamazoo has rosewood), but I can tell you this about the material, they use it to make signs for mechanical equipment located in all kinds of environments. The wood in the neck would probably disintegrate before that fretboard falls apart. I'd use one.

Well, i could not pass up on this guitar. It plays great, sounds great and looks great. My new Gibson Midtown Custom. It sounds closer to a Les Paul, but more air to it. Really fast player and low, low action. Its a pleasure to play.

A few pics, one without pickguard ( which is how I like it). I will be changing out the knobs to a top hat vintage style.

Very nice! I almost bought one when i got my sweetwater card, i went with a J-15 acoustic and both about same price but i dont regret my choice, im sure you wont regret yours either. Congrats and many happy nights.

Archived