Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustic rippling effect from wood grain and nitro finish

gibbyuk

Here's a pic of the ripple effect..

It's difficult to photograph it, as the eye see's it.

But you can see the effect in the reflection.

That's not a defect; that's the grain of the spruce, showing through the finish as the thin nitro and the wood dry and bond. It's a good thing. When you don't see it, that is the result of a thick finish.

P

Absolutely correct. The number of times the humidity in the UK drops to a level which would cause drying are very seldom and not long lasting.

Most of the the time here we don't worry about dry air. Lay off the dampit, you don't need it.

The humidity in the UK is not the issue; the humidity in the room the guitar is in is, and that has much more to do with the heating system than it does with the local climate. It gets plenty cold in the UK, yes? The list of heating systems that can cause very low humidity indoors, even when it's very wet outside, is long and common.

P

My Hummingbird has a similar effect on the AAA Spruce top, I thought is was a flame effect that is a property of the wood. My maple Guild F47M is full of the flame effect that is so sought after on maple guitars. Whatever it is, I think it is pretty cool. When I first saw it I thought to myself, self, I have never seen flamed spruce !

Here's a pic of the ripple effect.. It's difficult to photograph it, as the eye see's it. But you can see the effect in the reflection.

That looks great - and very normal. Less rippling than I've seen on MANY other Gibsons. Gorgeous as many here will say.

This is starting to occur on this '49 LG-2. I, too, am in the camp that connects less finish to more of that open, woody sound. The finish has not only sunken into the grain of the top, but the pickguard is sinking into the grain as well. I was able to compare this guitar to several other LG-2's, older and younger, at the big guitar show. It had the dry woody sound that I was seeking. Apples/oranges, but when I'm looking for that sound, this is absolutely the go-to.

PGgrain_zpsa63ed11e.jpg

Archived