Gibson Brands Forums

And He Signed It With His Own Rubber Stamp

glp2012

A Jimmy Page autograph is priceless. A rubber stamp is worthless.

as well as a bit narcissistic,,, a stamp with his sig on it? really?

how hard is it to write ones name???

aaaahhh the bliss of greatness..

My wife used to work for one of the major auction houses and the majority of "signed" memorabilia (sports, music, acting, politicians...) is either a stamp or signed by an assistant. At least Page is being straight forward and letting you know a stamp is being used.

Having a set number of autographs to sign and use a rubber stamp is not a great proposition. But then again there are people trying to make a profit out of autographs.

I think Jimmy Page was a great guitar player for Led Zeppelin, he never did much of anything else that was memorable after that.

Are Zep the only band that ripped anyone off?

I would say yes. They are the only ones that plagerized most of their hits while failing to credit the artists they ripped off. Well, maybe not the only one. Vanilla Ice worked the same way.

• 5 months later...

I've never rated him as a player. He's written good stuff. But as a lead guitarist he mediocre. Just look at his soloing live. It's shocking. Bum notes galore.

Of the Holy Trinity of Yardbirds guitarists, only Jeff Beck is still firing on all cylinders. If anything he's playing better than ever now.

Eric Clapton can still deliver when pushed (witness his incendiary guest spot with the Allman Bros at the Beacon a couple of years ago) but the guy who started it all has been on cruise control for decades

Jimmy Page has done little or nothing of note since Zeppelin split in 1980. His playing was exciting and innovative (if a little sloppy) at his peak, but as a guitarist he burnt out a long time ago. He now spends his time endlessly re-packaging the Zeppelin catalogue so we keep on buying it over and over again.

Archived