Gibson Brands Forums

And He Signed It With His Own Rubber Stamp

glp2012

I live in LA and have seen celebrities in public, at restaurants, etc...never once have I asked for a picture or an autograph because it's not why they are there. However, when I attend a meet and greet or book signing event, I kinda expect an autograph or a photo. It seems that Jimmy Page was just at Barnes and Noble at The Grove in LA and he rubber stamped his books because he no longer signs anything. There were only 250 tickets and 50 reserve and he was only stamping one item per person. I understand that you want to sell books, but I think you can at least slam a signature for someone who has been waiting all day to meet you. Here's a link to the story:

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/85507

I took my son to the same location to meet Jimmy Carter. That guy is old, but he put ink to paper on every book put in front of him. Some people had more than one book. No, I'm not a JC fan, but I thought my son might want to meet a former President of the United States.

I live in LA and have seen celebrities in public, at restaurants, etc...never once have I asked for a picture or an autograph because it's not why they are there. However, when I attend a meet and greet or book signing event, I kinda expect an autograph or a photo. It seems that Jimmy Page was just at Barnes and Noble at The Grove in LA and he rubber stamped his books because he no longer signs anything. There were only 250 tickets and 50 reserve and he was only stamping one item per person. I understand that you want to sell books, but I think you can at least slam a signature for someone who has been waiting all day to meet you. Here's a link to the story:

http://store-locator.barnesandnoble.com/event/85507

I took my son to the same location to meet Jimmy Carter. That guy is old, but he put ink to paper on every book put in front of him. Some people had more than one book. No, I'm not a JC fan, but I thought my son might want to meet a former President of the United States.

Page is kind of a jerk. First he stole the riffs off about 30 songs and then they had to audacity to try and say THEY wrote them, words and music. Take away those 30 songs and page is the most overrated guitar player in history. Then there is the 13 yr old girl he kidnapped and hid for 4 years to prevent his prosecution. Never thought much of him personally or professionally.

Page is kind of a jerk. First he stole the riffs off about 30 songs and then they had to audacity to try and say THEY wrote them, words and music. Take away those 30 songs and page is the most overrated guitar player in history. Then there is the 13 yr old girl he kidnapped and hid for 4 years to prevent his prosecution. Never thought much of him personally or professionally.

What are you talking about, and that is a serious question not trying to be a smart *** but I have never heard either one of those claims. Please post a link oe something for me to take a look at.

I know for sure that the theme of "Stairway To Heaven" is taken from the soundtrack of the German TV movie "Der Fall Lena Christ" (The Case Lena Christ). Moreover, what a coincidence, the lyrics describe the suicide of same Lena Christ (1881-1920), a Bavarian woman writer. The music is played several times during the movie but not credited. Created during 1968/1969, the movie was broadcasted first on German TV on October 1st, 1970:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065714/

Led Zeppelin recorded "their" song in December 1970. I couldn't find the movie itself on the web.

For Jimmy Page's sex affair with a 14 year old girl refer to these articles:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-10-wildest-led-zeppelin-legends-fact-checked-20121121/jimmy-page-dated-a-14-year-old-girl-while-he-was-in-led-zeppelin-19691231

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/led-zeppelin-there-was-a-whole-lotta-love-on-tour-763446.html

http://www.cracked.com/article_20560_5-beloved-celebrities-everyone-forgets-did-terrible-things.html

you don't need to search you tube hard to listen to the many songs Zep used without credit (Dazed and Confused as well as Whole Lotta Love are a couple of personal favourite examples), though to be fair it was more often the melodies and lyrics that were 'borrowed' rather then the riffs, Jimmy Page changed those quite significantly on some songs.

The 13/14 yo girl affair I read about years ago and quite honestly I was much more keen on the music than the man after that.

Guest Farnsbarns

I'm glad I now know every story on the internet is fact. I don't know how I missed that.

All those who make comments such as he's a jerk, an *** hole etc, have you actually met the man or are these more "facts" off the internet? I ask because he seems to me to be one of the nicest AAA listers I've ever met.

For the record, Page has twice been outright accused of plagiarism and accepted that the similarities are unquestionable and accepts that he must have heard those pieces and claims to have inadvertantly copied them. He may have stolen every note he ever played but that is as much as I know to be fact.

Can you imagine paying real money to see a show and having to sit through this for 13 min?

As for all the music he ripped off there is a very good sections about that in this documentary. The Zep part starts around 1:30

Topic isn't about plagiarism. It's about Page stamping books instead of signing them.

I don't know his motives, but IMO, anyone who refuses to sign a book or whatever it is for someone who has brought him/her fortune and fame is a jerk.

It doesn't matter if he is Jimmy Page or my next-door neighbor.

A Jimmy Page autograph is priceless. A rubber stamp is worthless.

Do you guys think that ordering a zofo rubber stamp is that difficult? [wink]

A-listers who doesn't like such social events should follow Garbo example and retire.

Regards

Topic isn't about plagiarism. It's about Page stamping books instead of signing them.

Topic move around. I haven't seen any evidence that the rubber stamp story is in any way true so I have allotted the proper amount of time discussing it.

His crap playing and plagiarizing of other artists without crediting them is, on the other hand, well documented.

Not saying he is a great player, but I think he rode the wave of Zepplin so much that people thought if he was with one of the greatest groups ever, then he must be one of the greatest guitar players ever. That is a whole different topic than his book signing, <or book stamping>

But as far as him not signing his book and instead using a stamp, he can take the stamp and the book and stick them both where the sun don't shine.

I would not waste my time to have him stamp a book.

Not saying he is a great player, but I think he rode the wave of Zepplin so much that people thought if he was with one of the greatest groups ever, then he must be one of the greatest guitar players ever. That is a whole different topic than his book signing, <or book stamping>

But as far as him not signing his book and instead using a stamp, he can take the stamp and the book and stick them both where the sun don't shine.

I would not waste my time to have him stamp a book.

I wouldn't waste my time if he was actually signing books. I think he was/is a great guitarist, but I don't worship entertainers that way. Like pro athletes, I think they are all over-indulged. I can't believe how much munny people throw at entertainers (which includes pro athletes).

Here's a thought....

What if JP has a new(*) rubber stamp made for each book signing and once the day is over he destroys that day's stamp!(*)

That way the books stamped - here there were 300 tops - are in effect a Signed Limited Edition(*) and would be Guaranteed(*) to be worth Millions(*) in the years to come!

No buyers, huh?...

P.

(*) Always read the small print.

Archived