Gibson Brands Forums

Proper humidity and guitar care

fumblefingers

I use dampits, they are probably the safest way to keep your instrument humidified in the case.

They have to be dampened a few times a week. So that goes in the sound hole and it's safe (I've heard about the Oasis and damage to the wood)

for extra control of dryness, Up under the headstock, get soap-travel case and drill a bunch of holes in it. cut sponge to size keep that damp too.

if you can keep a hydrometer handy, monitor for around 55% which is about ideal.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I kept thinking the Humidipak hygrometer was showing the humidity reading a bit high, so I put it next to my old Planet Waves hygrometer and the temperatures are identical but the humidity readings are 57 % on my old meter and.... 62 % on the new one!

I will have to buy another meter to triangulate!

Next I am looking for a "humidity reading app' on my iPhone!

BluesKing777.

Same thing here. I have 3 different hygrometers and no two have ever had the same reading.

Same thing here. I have 3 different hygrometers and no two have ever had the same reading.

So what do you go by?

I would like to get more of a system sorted for my more 'delicate' geetars - where I live in Southern Australia is kept fairly mild year round by a cold wind off the ocean, but when that wind stops or turns around...lookout 100 - 120 degree days for a few weeks here we come bang!!! The air con takes 10 degrees off but the Humidipak working to the theory would be ideal on those days! either that or fill the guitars with a hose.....

BluesKing777.

So what do you go by?

They are all close enough to know when you are in the danger zone. Here in Pittsburgh the weather is a little easier to manage humidity wise. The summers are hot and humid, the winters are cold and dry. I don't have to deal with hot and dry together. Half of the year I don't even need to put the humidifiers in the case. From April to September the house stays between 40 and 50% RH. It is only when the heat is running regularly that it falls below where I worry. Even in the summer when it is much more humid outside than is safe the AC drys things out enough.

So what do you go by?

BluesKing777.

Buy one of these: Sling Psychrometer

Then watch this video to see how to use it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbcaCxuA1LI

It's a very simple device and procedure and will tell you definitively what the relative humidity is in your room. Then, assuming your hygrometers are adjustable, you can adjust them so they are correct.

I purchased three hygrometers from different manufacturers and they were all off by quite a lot.

And, as has been mentioned before, the cigar crowd also uses hygrometers so if you have a cigar store or Internet retailer in your locale you can purchase hygrometers from them. Just be aware that their Humidipacks are calibrated for something like 70 percent humidity which is far too high for guitars.

Now BK777, can you please post more pictures from the beach? It's been awhile since your last vacation post. Us mountain people don't get to see the beach very often.

FMA

Now BK777, can you please post more pictures from the beach? It's been awhile since your last vacation post. Us mountain people don't get to see the beach very often.

FMA

Thanks FMA!

The beach photos have been slim recently because in 'summer daylight saving time' the dog is not allowed on most beaches and I would never be forgiven if I went without him - all guard and hound dog duties would be cancelled!

Here is a couple of old ones:

Brighton-04_zpse9085055.jpg

Brighton-07_zps7b0b3c3e.jpg

Brighton-03_zpsabbc4e28.jpg

BluesKing777.

You da man!

I really need to move back to the ocean....

FMA

Sounds like it could be urgent mentally?

Back in the early 80s, I lived on a large block with the hippie dream hippy shack on it in the mountains east of here and I was pleased at first to give the Fender a good belt through a Marshall and no complaints....etc..., but I was born a water baby, so.....

BluesKing777.

I'm in nowhere as dry a climate but Norwegian winter get pretty dry because of electic heating. Anyways, I use the humidipacks and I'm a firm believer in them as long as you store your guitar in the case with the lid closed. If the lid is open they dry out fast but I keep it closed and haven't changed the packs for almost a year. I guess your mileage may vary but for enclosed storage I give em three thumbs up [thumbup]

If I'm going to put the guitars in their cases (which I do), I'm surely going to close the cases! Who stores their guitars in open cases??

Those beach shots are beautiful. I've been wanting to move neat the ocean for some time, but most of the possibilities are both too expensive and too crowded (New Jersey and Delaware). Though I'm told Delaware's low taxes make up for a lot.

Humidipak update!

The Boss needed to go to the city for hair (cut and stuff) and normally I would keep my big mouth closed and have a sleep in on a Saturday......but the Humidipaks called, so I offered a ride to the city, also gaining brownie points!

Unfortunately, the music shop did not open until after we had to leave home, so I couldn't ring them. When I got there, the Humidpak rack was.....empty! The chance of new stock before Christmas is slim and the shop was crawling with noisy guitarists all playing at once, so I slunk off home, defeated..... No guitar test drive, zip.

When I got home, had a tea and a sandwich, and thought.....bling...that other shop....I rang and they had 2 packs, so I drove the 100 miles return and grabbed them - possibly the only packs left in the country [mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

So I need a few more, but for now they are installed on the case of the 'delicate ones' and that is not a National or Gibson because they have done nicely unaided so far!

I just did a quick check of the hygrometers and the packs seem to be working well.

BluesKing777.

Humidipak update!

The Boss needed to go to the city for hair (cut and stuff) and normally I would keep my big mouth closed and have a sleep in on a Saturday......but the Humidipaks called, so I offered a ride to the city, also gaining brownie points!

Unfortunately, the music shop did not open until after we had to leave home, so I couldn't ring them. When I got there, the Humidpak rack was.....empty! The chance of new stock before Christmas is slim and the shop was crawling with noisy guitarists all playing at once, so I slunk off home, defeated..... No guitar test drive, zip.

When I got home, had a tea and a sandwich, and thought.....bling...that other shop....I rang and they had 2 packs, so I drove the 100 miles return and grabbed them - possibly the only packs left in the country [mellow] [mellow] [mellow]

So I need a few more, but for now they are installed on the case of the 'delicate ones' and that is not a National or Gibson because they have done nicely unaided so far!

I just did a quick check of the hygrometers and the packs seem to be working well.

BluesKing777.

Reply to myself!

The hygrometer has a message on the screen: "Does Not Compute, Will Robinson!"

The reason I want it all a bit sorted - last Friday it was 95 degrees and humidity was dropping to about 28 %. When I started work this morning , it was 65 and humidity was 85% and 4 1/2 hours later it is 73 with exactly 50% humidity. The saying is: "If you don't like the weather here, come back in half hour" not far wrong! Poor little hygrometer and gel packs..... :unsure:

BluesKing777.

I've been using the Humidity packs from Planet Waves for a couple years I buy about 2 refil packs a year. What I like about them is they work both ways which in my climate in PA takes a lot of worry out of the picture. Right now in December it has been raining for about 2 days off and on with temps in the low 40's so it is damp but by the end of the week it will be 29 and snowing . We will be running the heat more by the weeks end. It could go back and forth all winter or just stay cold you never know. The,packs just work good year round I keep a gauge in the case of my Hummingbird to measure humidity and temp. On rare occasions if I need to I can and a damp sponge if it is extremely dry and I need to bump the humidity up. I think I did this once.

Hey BK.

am not in any way questioning your knowledge or approach here.. never been to Oz.

but I'm thinking about a guitar with a pack in the case with it and your weather so changeable.

its the changes that effect the guitar , so isn't there a puzzle appearing.

If a guitar has sat there and gradually changed with the weather and it's taken out of the case , then no sudden change.

but if one is cooped up with a humdifier/dehumidifier then are there times when you dare not take it out from its little incubator?

people complain about irish weather , but it makes owning guitars easier than a lot of you guys situations.

Hey BK.

am not in any way questioning your knowledge or approach here.. never been to Oz.

but I'm thinking about a guitar with a pack in the case with it and your weather so changeable.

its the changes that effect the guitar , so isn't there a puzzle appearing.

If a guitar has sat there and gradually changed with the weather and it's taken out of the case , then no sudden change.

but if one is cooped up with a humdifier/dehumidifier then are there times when you dare not take it out from its little incubator?

people complain about irish weather , but it makes owning guitars easier than a lot of you guys situations.

Good point, BBG.

Apart from 3 or 4 weeks a year, southern Victoria is probably not a lot different than your place! We get the ocean 'breezes' straight off the Antarctic most of the time - the first year I lived here it rained EVERY day almost, so that is not the great Aussie tourist effen' brochure, is it?

But when that wind turns, it is a bit of the Santa Anna thing, and worse - we turn into potato crisps! From 70 degrees/ 50% humidity ...BANG! - 120 degrees/15% humidity! Fires, emergencies, the whole horror.

I have had some Planet Waves gadgetry for years, with the sponge holder and syringe to fill it, but the hot days coincide with holiday time here and we get back from a couple of weeks R&R to empty sponges! ( I have air con normally)

So, the unbreakable National or Dobro will be in the car and the other sensitive types locked up with their Humidipaks, except there are none left anywhere......and I will return when the weather returns to normal, in theory!

BluesKing777.

Of course, the other cheapo option I thought of is to pay the kid next door to come in while I am away on hollies and run the hose through the guitars that look a bit dry.

Do you think he will take any notice of me saying: "Don't play those guitars!!!!" :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Well, well it would appear as though I am the only one using the Kyser sound hole humidifiers....they work great for me, I'll explain my position here. I live in the great state of Maine, USA we have four seasons here and the winter is the only time lack of humidity is a problem, all other times of the year it is either just right for guitars or in the summer sometimes it can be too much in short bursts. The kyser takes out as well as puts in humidity if you keep the proper amount of moisture in the humidifier. The winter time requires that I use heat constantly from approx. October thru to May and I use wood pellets which is about like living inside of a cloths dryer without the tumbling effects. I monitor my Kysers at least weekly on my always cased unplayed guitars and almost daily on my Gibson J-45 which I also keep in the case when I'm not playing it. Although the Kysers aren't for everyone, with minimal care one can avoid accidents, just by squeezing out excess water after humidifying (I do this by laying the humidifier on a flat surface sandwiched in a towel and pushing down on it). In my case the humidity is predictable and therefore I have no problem with the Kysers, I particularly like the fact that they almost completely cover the sound hole which slows the escape of the moisture from within in which is the only way moisture can get out of a sealed guitar body. I keep the Herco's loose in the case to take care of any needed moisture on the outside of the instrument. I can understand that in other climates they my be harder to use. Just my 2cts.

• 5 months later...

Don't know what conditions are like where you live, but the humidity meter on my front porch says 80% right now. In my bedroom (only air conditioned room in the house) it is 71%. I don't think I've seen a reading under 60% for the past few weeks. Certainly don't need any humidification around here! :) A couple years ago I asked my luthier if I needed to use a case humidifier during the summer months. He said definitely not, and that in fact he saw a number of moldy guitars every summer….

I just purchased a new J-15 and I keep it in the case when I don't play it, with an Oasis humidifier.

Do I need to be concerned about too much humidity?

Depends on the ambient humidity in the room where the guitar is stored. You should have a good decent hygrometer as a permanent fixture there.

This is the one I use. Looking at the temp/humidity, this photo was taken in the winter in Florida, with the windows open. Right now, with the house closed up and the AC running, temp is 77 F, humidity is 45%, which strikes me as just about right. Think it might have cost me about $35 or so.

hygro.jpg

I'm out here in Montana, exactly 150 miles northwest of the Gibson Montana factory.

the meter on our weather scale is right around 45%. So I'm guessing I would be OK just leaving the guitar out, as from what I'm reading that is about the perfect humidity. Just worried about mold forming in the guitar by using a humidifier when maybe I don't need one?

Archived