Gibson Brands Forums

"Dirt" boxes...

charlie brown

Either my hearing is getting worse than I thought, or my "Dirt" boxes=Overdrive pedals,

are all starting to sound the SAME! [tongue] I own quite a few, from different makers,

and when I first get one, I think it's Great, and "different," but...after some use,

and then going back to one of my older pedals, they ALL start to sound the same, to me.

Do you experience this, as well. Have you all got a pedal that is THE ONE, and you'll

never buy another one, again? [unsure]

What say you? [biggrin]

CB

Not really a pedal person.. Kinda just for the same reason you stated... Distortion is as distortion does :)

Its why I generally rely on built in distortion from the amp.... And if you can play loud enough, nothing beats natural distortion where the only key is volume :D

My Mesa 5:25 Express generates a wealth of overdrive tones as a result I no not need OD pedals but,

I have two, a Coffin Blood Drive that is analog nice and warm use it very occasionally of high-ish gain situation and I also have a Walrus Audio Iron Horse which is a distortion pedal that is very gnarly, hard to make it sound like "everything else".

I do however found myself trying to dial things within a certain range and then thinking everything sounds the same, the reason is that is still me playing and that I do end up choosing settings that I already like.

The Iron Horse is pretty insane and can be very aggressive sound and that makes it fun especially before a Wah.

I try to get the dirt right from the amp, but when it needs just a bit more, I use the TC Spark Boost. Great subtle pedal that can just be a boost or add dirt.

I have been eyeing a Plimsoul, but have not pulled the trigger yet.

NHTom

I think the reason most dirt pedals sound about the same is because when we plug one in, we naturally tweak the controls to a certain overdrive sound that we like.

Of course it's easy to make a lot of pedals sound virtually identical, but each can do something slightly different than the next, which may not be within the capabilities of your other pedals.

Gain range, EQ adjustability and the range of those controls, and amount of volume on tap varies greatly.

-Ryan

I love dirt boxes! Mostly I keep my own stuff on my pedal board now, but I've had dozens of dirt boxes made by lots of people, and you're right they often sound a lot alike!

However, I don't think of dirt boxes as being just overdrive. Generally the ones I like to have on my board at all times are a booster, an overdrive, and a fuzz. Since I run my tube amps "Wind Cries Mary" clean, the booster gets me to a nice crunchy rhythm tone. The overdrive is for a smooth, crying lead tone, and the fuzz is for the over the top, freak out sustainy stuff. With those three I can pretty much do anything I need to do.

Back in the '60's I never used any pedals, save a Wah Wah, now and then.

I did (still do) have a Vox Tone Bender, which was fun, for those "Yardbirds"

tones, etc. But, we played insanely loud (thinking back on it, now), and

so had lots of natural tube overdrive, and harmonics to play with, and used

our guitar volume and tone controls, for most of the variances.

It's funny, I Like/Love my "Dirt boxes," all! But, I wonder if we don't just

get "used to," what they sound like, after a time, and (besides the preferred

settings, that you've all talked about) that the "differences" tend to just blend

into our ears and/or mind's "preferred" tones? Interesting... [tongue]:-k

CB

Back in the '60's I never used any pedals, save a Wah Wah, now and then.

I did (still do) have a Vox Tone Bender, which was fun, for those "Yardbirds"

tones, etc. But, we played insanely loud (thinking back on it, now), and

so had lots of natural tube overdrive, and harmonics to play with, and used

our guitar volume and tone controls, for most of the variances.

But really how many different sounds were you getting then? I think part of it may be that we have been exposed to so many different dirt sounds since then and we want them all! I too have played all night long with just an amp and a volume knob, but it's fun to have access to a wider variety of dirt. Maybe if you are playing in a band with a distinct "sound" you don't need as much variety, but for those of us in cover bands or for bedroom players who want to sound like "that" record we desire more options I think.

I have a few such pedals but my favourite is a Biyang X drive with three voices including a T8 simulation. I use that as an option on my Mesa's clean channel and keep the Mesa overdrive channel as a third option.

At the moment I have an Exotic AC+ and a Visual Sound Route 66 mk II on my board. The VS Route 66 is a fine TS clone and very responsive, however the AC+ has eq on one channel which I use as a clean boost for P90s.

I've got more.

10 years ago I got back into pedals and ended up with 10 choruses and nearly as many ods and distortion pedals.

I got rid of the Boss HM2 (don't laugh until you've tried one) in favor of having my Boss DS1 and my RAT 3-way modded and they're both vastly improved, great sounding pedals now.

I also have the Analog Man KOT IV as I wanted one high-class dual pedal and IMO that one is worth it.

Plus Foxroxx Captain Coconut II, Octron II and a G2O Creamtone, all amazing. I had a few more....should have kept the VS Jekyll & Hyde mk I as it's a classic...how about Zvex, Wampler, Fulltone?

I could go on and on.....lucky I don't have any cash...I love pedals!

As far as Ryan's point about familiarity goes, agree totally.

If you know what tones you want and how to get 'em, cheap can be as good if not better.

You can have a good laugh if you go on eBay and search for 'Klon Centaur'........

Well, we didn't have but a handful of "pedals" available, back then! So, I got as many

different sounds, as I could, given the circumstances. We used real Leslie's, for that

effect, and a fuzz face (later) for "Fuzz"...although my Tone Bender did a great job of

"Fuzz" too, when cranked that way. Most of what we did, back then, didn't require a

plethora of different tonal variety, like is (almost) expected/demanded, these days!

Pedals are great, don't get me wrong. But, "I" just feel like a lot of, if not most

"Dirt" pedals, sound so similar, it's a bit of a head scratcher, anymore. There are

SO MANY available, that it's more confusing, than anything. But, maybe that's

just ME??? [unsure]

A couple of my more recent purchases:

4badbc51-e54f-4b93-8b3a-f9afa3206039_zps80cfd120.jpg

CB

I noticed all my overdrives sound about the same Zakk Wylde MXR Overdrive sounds like a Boss Overdrive sounds like an Ibanez Tube Screamer. I like the neat picture on the Zakk Wylde though...

mxr_zakk_wylde_overdrive.jpg

My "Stocking Stuffer" this Christmas was a MXR "Super Bads$$" overdrive! And, for my trouble,

(going into Guitar Center, in Wichita) I ended up getting a "used," but "Like New" (quite literally)

Marshall TSL 100 head! So, I guess I ended up with PLENTY of Overdrive, and Distortion, options! [tongue]

It was a great Christmas, this year! [biggrin]

CB

The TSL is a great head, Do they even make that anymore? I know the DSL same as my JCM 2000 is manufactured still in Vietnam. Still a great head.

No, they've replaced it with a new model! But, I don't mind...it sounds great, it's "Made in England," and

is the perfect match, for my 1960A cabinet, which was also purchased "used" but like new, several years ago.

I was (understandably) delighted to find this TSL, in that condition, and at a Great price...IMHO. [biggrin]

I would have been happy with a DSL, too...but, this just seemed to have my "name on it!" LOL Heck, I can

"Justify" almost anything, when it comes to Guitar related "toys!" [biggrin] So, I got a really nice Marshall 1/2

Stack (complete), for the cost of a '68 (reissue) Fender Deluxe Reverb!

CB

Pedals are great, don't get me wrong. But, "I" just feel like a lot of, if not most

"Dirt" pedals, sound so similar, it's a bit of a head scratcher, anymore. There are

SO MANY available, that it's more confusing, than anything. But, maybe that's

just ME??? [unsure]

What others have you tried? It's true there are a TON of pedals out there these days, but you have only mentioned Fulltone pedals so far - and only overdrives. If you buy 4 overdrives from the same builder/company they are probably going to sound a bit similar. Maybe you need to branch out a bit. Test the waters. My motto is buy em, try em, keep em or sell em. Doesn't require nearly the investment as your guitars have (I've seen the pics) [biggrin]

What others have you tried? It's true there are a TON of pedals out there these days, but you have only mentioned Fulltone pedals so far - and only overdrives. If you buy 4 overdrives from the same builder/company they are probably going to sound a bit similar. Maybe you need to branch out a bit. Test the waters. My motto is buy em, try em, keep em or sell em. Doesn't require nearly the investment as your guitars have (I've seen the pics) [biggrin]

I've got several Boss pedals (DS-1, BD-2, SD-1, DN-2) , MXR pedals, the 4 Fulltone pedals, a vintage Vox "Tone Bender,"

a Marshall Bluesdbreaker II, and Guv'nor Plus, and have tried many, many other's, in all price ranges.

And yeah, I'll probably keep "experimenting," as crazy as that might be? [tongue] lol [biggrin]

CB

I love my "dirt" pedals. I have many: ibanez ( tube screamer classic, tube screamer HW, TS9), Fulltone Plim Soul, OCD, Bonamasa Fet driver, original RAT, fuzz face mini, echoplex, akai deluxe distortion, boss blues driver with keeley mod, voodoo labs sparkle drive mod.

I usually run two pedals at the same time to get the sound I want. I love my tube amps, my pedals are just for a little color or to push the tubes a bit. I don't typically dial up the overdrive too much on any of them.

I've got several Boss pedals (DS-1, BD-2, SD-1, DS-1) , MXR pedals, the 4 Fulltone pedals, a vintage Vox "Tone Bender,"

a Marshall Bluesdbreaker II, and Guv'nor Plus, and have tried many, many other's, in all price ranges.

And yeah, I'll probably keep "experimenting," as crazy as that might be? [tongue] lol [biggrin]

CB

Yeah, all of those are relatively large (and therefore middle of the road) companies. If you want something that sounds different, I wouldn't look to the big manufacturers. They generally push the same old same old. A notable exception might be Electro Harmonix who, although becoming quite large, has continually made some edgy stuff.

Interestingly a lot of modern pedals are built off of the platform of your Tone Bender - though a bit more stable and with perhaps a more modern eq sense.

In fact the majority of dirt/fuzz pedals seem to be built on the skeleton of a Fuzz Face, Tonebender, Big Muff or Tube Screamer. Perhaps this accounts for some of the similarity. However, ZVEX, Earthquaker, Devi Ever, Small Sound/Big Sound, ThroBak, Catalinbread, JHS, and dozens (at least) of other mid-sized builders have pushed those designs further - while often making them more usable in the modern world (reliable power supplies, stable transistors, etc).

Brother Charlie I dont even know what the "new model" is... Why do they keep fixing all these things that are not broke?

They discontinued the DSL/TSL/JCM2000 amps years ago for reasons I'm not sure. Maybe they weren't financially feasible anymore. Anyways, they "reissued" the DSL in a couple different versions recently (15 watt head and combo, 40 watt combo, 100 watt head). They're made in Vietnam and are missing a number of features the original JCM2000 series had, while adding a few. They're also much more affordable than the original series, which were Made in England. They haven't reissued the TSL.

-Ryan

Archived