Gibson Brands Forums

Capo for Legend

duluthdan

Pics of the issue / question added.

Ok. Let's try this again - I would like to find a Capo that can be stored on the guitar, ala this Paige that is on a J-45 TV in the 1st pic.

The issue is the Depth of the neck.This baseball bat full "C" profile neck is 1.13 inches deep at the fifth fret. A standard size paige will not even close on the 1st fret.

I already have a serviceable "regular" capo. It is a Dunlop, have no idea of the model name or number, it is the only one at the music store in Grand Junction Colorado that would fit. The only one.

So, looking for a "stay at home" that I can store behind the nut - anybody got sun a beast?

Anyone discover any capos, such as the Paige, for their chunky neck Gibsons? I have a Paige on my J-45 TV that I find to be ideal because I can basically leave it on the guitar, resting behind the nut until needed. Am looking for similar for the baseball bat neck J-45 Legend. Perhaps one of the Elliotts would work, but I'd like not having to spend $135 for a capo. http://elliottcapos.com/CaposMcKinney.html Any suggestions? Discoveries?

P2140985_zpsd6774c61.jpg

P2140981_zpsb4099980.jpg

P2140980_zps1bca9496.jpg

Anyone discover any capos, such as the Paige, for their chunky neck Gibsons? I have a Paige on my J-45 TV that I find to be ideal because I can basically leave it on the guitar, resting behind the nut until needed. Am looking for similar for the baseball bat neck J-45 Legend. Perhaps one of the Elliotts would work, but I'd like not having to spend $35 for a capo. http://elliottcapos.com/CaposMcKinney.html Any suggestions? Discoveries?

Maybe a Newport ?

Shubb are hard to beat truly though.

I use a Paige for my Banner SJ Reissue as I did for my Banner 1942 Reissue. Both have the same size neck or a little larger then the Legend has.

I tried my 12 string Shubb but it did not work.

I've never had a problem with a Kayser and one guitar - granted, an archtop - has that early '50s baseball bat neck. I'd say that if you use pretty heavy strings you might consider a 12-string Kayser. I used a cheapie elastic type 12-string capo on it during the 70s when I had heavy strings on it.

In that era I used all sorts of designs, including the type represented by the Paige. Never cared much for it. I used a plastic ratchet capo in the '70s; worked well enough but a shade harder to adjust. Dunlop and copiers have one with a nylon cord that's a cheapie but works well on some necks. It has a little lever on top to tighten that strap. Various models engineered similar to the Paige.

I've used all sorts of capos through the years and yeah, different folks will have different preferences. I still prefer an old wood and string rosewood flamenco capo on my nylon-strung guitars and that thing is over 50 years old. Perhaps that's more nostalgia than anything else.

Others... there are going to be personal preferences involved. I've tried so many that the bottom line is that for me the Kayser design is overall most practical and I've one in each guitar case excepting the one nylon-strung AE. I've not gotten a similar one for my newer nylon AE, so it has a Kayser in its case. So... figure roughly 20 guitars, each with a Kayser - enough spent for an inexpensive guitar and no regrets for it whatsoever.

But one might prefer trying something. I've tried so many that frankly I'm currently pretty much sticking with what I've found to be most functional.

m

I second the Keyser. But to be honest. I haven't tried all these others. I use Keyser exclusively and have for years.

works great on my 1950 J45 neck which is quite round but not near yours I'd say.

I've never had a problem with a Kayser and one guitar - granted, an archtop - has that early '50s baseball bat neck. I'd say that if you use pretty heavy strings you might consider a 12-string Kayser. I used a cheapie elastic type 12-string capo on it during the 70s when I had heavy strings on it.

In that era I used all sorts of designs, including the type represented by the Paige. Never cared much for it. I used a plastic ratchet capo in the '70s; worked well enough but a shade harder to adjust. Dunlop and copiers have one with a nylon cord that's a cheapie but works well on some necks. It has a little lever on top to tighten that strap. Various models engineered similar to the Paige.

I've used all sorts of capos through the years and yeah, different folks will have different preferences. I still prefer an old wood and string rosewood flamenco capo on my nylon-strung guitars and that thing is over 50 years old. Perhaps that's more nostalgia than anything else.

Others... there are going to be personal preferences involved. I've tried so many that the bottom line is that for me the Kayser design is overall most practical and I've one in each guitar case excepting the one nylon-strung AE. I've not gotten a similar one for my newer nylon AE, so it has a Kayser in its case. So... figure roughly 20 guitars, each with a Kayser - enough spent for an inexpensive guitar and no regrets for it whatsoever.

m

Anyone discover any capos, such as the Paige, for their chunky neck Gibsons? I have a Paige on my J-45 TV that I find to be ideal because I can basically leave it on the guitar, resting behind the nut until needed. Am looking for similar for the baseball bat neck J-45 Legend. Perhaps one of the Elliotts would work, but I'd like not having to spend $135 for a capo. http://elliottcapos.com/CaposMcKinney.html Any suggestions? Discoveries?

The Elliot will need a custom and phone calls or emails with measurements to fit the large V .

My 12 string Shubb only makes it to about the 3rd fret on my 30s L-50 with a similar GBFN!

But look through the Shubb catalogue, Dan - they make a big V neck capo! Highly recommended! Get a few different Shubbs while you are at - cheap in the scheme of things.

BluesKing777.

Dan,

I was doing a little maintenance on some of my guitars tonight and remembered this post so I though I check out the capo I use on all my guitars. I had not tried it on this one.

I've been using these Planet Waves with the built in tuner.

It works fine on my J45 Legend up to the 10th fret. Plenty of room and I can move very easily.

C79D4385-411C-4F35-B644-8C2E899C4C94_zpsvuzcvfro.jpgA2F9D1AC-09A8-463D-A192-D100F1178258_zps6u1ockrl.jpgFAC4C44C-93E1-4589-8720-AA3D005E9233_zpsdka62rsn.jpg7837D305-9F4F-4F57-93F8-5853865726A7_zps5qj6z4sm.jpg

Thanks for remembering Dave - that might be a route. Really hoping to find one that could could just live on my guitar, resting above the nut like my Paige. One of the hybrid Elliotts might work, but at $135, I don't need an experiment.

Take a look at Dan Crary's capo here: http://www.dancrary.com/DisplayProducts.html

It's pretty much the same as the Ptacek capo (I think it's made by the same guy) and is a little more reasonably priced. Excellent workmanship. I got one about a year ago thinking I would like this style of capo but I sold it just a little bit ago because, even though I liked being able to stow it behind the nut I just didn't like how it felt in use. For some reason I play a lot of songs that have a B7 in them and the only capo I've found that is quick and easy AND unobtrusive is a Shubb. Anything big and honkin' just drives me nuts. No offense, but that Planet Waves contraption reminds me of some wood clamps in my wood shop. Kysers, with that Vulcan death grip, always make me wonder just what they are doing to the neck and the strings on the guitar being used. Nope, I like the Shubb in classic and classy brass. Getting a 12 string version sounded like a great idea for a fatter neck.

Do you need a special capo for big necks? You could beat a cave troll to death with the neck on my OJ, and the standard Shubb and planet Waves capos I use on my slim electric necks work just fine. I have to adjust them, of course.

P

Ah now , you're very very unlikely to find any trolls in here :-/

Ok. Let's try this again - I would like to find a Capo that can be stored on the guitar, ala this Paige that is on a J-45 TV in the 1st pic.

The issue is the Depth of the neck.This baseball bat full "C" profile neck is 1.13 inches deep at the fifth fret. A standard size paige will not even close on the 1st fret.

I already have a serviceable "regular" capo. It is a Dunlop, have no idea of the model name or number, it is the only one at the music store in Grand Junction Colorado that would fit. The only one.

So, looking for a "stay at home" that I can store behind the nut - anybody got sun a beast?

P2140985_zpsd6774c61.jpg

P2140981_zpsb4099980.jpg

P2140980_zps1bca9496.jpg

Appreciate the suggestions. At the fifth fret this beast needs a Capo that goes to 1 1/8 inches in depth - the largest Paige is 1/16s too small. G7 does not list its specs . Gov - is you can measure your LG2, or even the max depth on your G7 - I sure would appreciate it. Meanwhile, the Victor works (thanks Mr Gibbs)

Dan...

I have a lot of capos. Two Shubbs, two Paiges, an Elliott, a Kaiser, and this Planet Waves Tri Action Silver NS:

http://www.planetwav...60-1675eddf5dd8

My SJ's neck is not as chunky as yours, but there is a lot of room on this capo. It also has an integrated pick holder which is nice, and it definitely can rest behind the nut (under some tension mind you - I don't leave it on). I thought I would throw it out to you as it is under $20. After the Elliott, it is my favorite.

IMG_1937_zps2d68b571.jpg

Dan,

Sorry I didn't understand you wanted to store it on the guitar. I think these guys can probably help you, but they are spendy.

http://elliottcapos.com

GT

Those were the exact options I am trying to avoid. $135 for a Capo? Ain't happening. I'm not a paid professional like some of you folks. The good news is that the Victor from Dunlop works fine. The bad news is I keep forgetting it in places or pockets.

Archived