Gibson Brands Forums

Cadbury ban in US

LarryUK

While I understand the concern regarding pesticides, etc., you'll ingest enough carcinogens,

from just the air, water, and even "natural" foods grown, nowadays (unless you grow

it all yourself, in pristine soil, and purified air,etc.), even so. Most have NO IDEA

how many harmful elements we're in contact with, every day, my fellow "germaphobes!" [crying]

As to chocolate?! LOVE IT! Especially, DARK!

CB

While I understand the concern regarding pesticides, etc., you'll ingest enough carcinogens,

from just the air, water, and even "natural" foods grown, nowadays (unless you grow

it all yourself, in pristine soil, and purified air,etc.), even so. Most have NO IDEA

how many harmful elements we're in contact with, every day, my fellow "germaphobes!" [crying]

As to chocolate?! LOVE IT! Especially, DARK!

CB

Yea, screw it. Gimme that Hershey bar ma'am lol

I think a lot does have to do with what one might have been raised with.

For example, Korean-American friends who immigrated in the '60s to the U.S. seemed to have an entirely different "taste" sought in their marinades for various meats compared to those raised in the '80s and forward. As one friend put it, the rapid availability of refrigeration made a huge difference in food quality perceptions. Another Korean friend put it this way, that when he came to the U.S., the best food was at home with ingredients purchased for immediate use; now it's best in better restaurants.

I think Hershey from the beginning intended to have chocolate designed for an American continental market and its logistical challenges; in the U.K. and Europe, that was apparently a significantly lesser concern.

Ditto, btw, American beers.

I've been told by German friends that they don't appreciate very much the pasteurized export market German beers found in the U.S. compared to "the real thing" in Germany.

m

Yeah, I remember the first time I had "Pizza" in Italy (Rome, to be exact)! It was delicious, of course,

but FAR different, than "American" Pizza, I was used to. A lot less "in your face" regarding spices, and

peppers. More subtle, and refined, in flavor. But, every bit as good (if not better???) than what I was

used to, previous to that encounter. [thumbup][biggrin]

And, much the same experience, with "Chocolate" in Europe...Austria, Belgium, and England, too! A little

really does go a long way, there! They're very tasty, and "Rich"!!

I've had a lot of Japanese candy, and baked Chocolate, as well as other flavored goods

At first, they seemed almost "tasteless" due to their very subtle flavoring! However,

once you get "used to" that, and then go back to American, or (especially) European

Chocolate, or baked goods, they're almost overwhelmingly "Rich" in flavor, where very

little is needed, to "satisfy" one's craving, comparatively.

CB

I guess I like my beer about the same way as my chocolate... dark. I'd sooner have a Yuengling Black & Tan as any other American beer. I fully intend to hoist a pint or three of stout someday.

A good friend stayed in Germany all September last and he said many eateries serve one beer brand exclusively. You may say, "I'll have a y", and they reply, "you'll have a z".

I've had a lot of Japanese candy, and baked Chocolate, as well as other flavored goods

At first, they seemed almost "tasteless" due to their very subtle flavoring! However,

once you get "used to" that, and then go back to American, or (especially) European

Chocolate, or baked goods, they're almost overwhelmingly "Rich" in flavor, where very

little is needed, to "satisfy" one's craving, comparatively.

CB

the thing about japan is, they do packaging on a level far beyond anyone else. that and the flavors of their candy actually taste like the fruit they claim to be flavored after. in america. they call it cherry, but it's really a generic red flavor that gets used for lots of stuff. (cherry lifesaver, for ex) same with apple. it's always sour green apple, and all you really taste is the sour and the green with no apple. japan has peach flavors that actually taste like a peach, or cherry or lime or whatever. but the better something is, the more layers the packaging has.

the town i live in has a chocolate shop i love to visit http://www.somachocolate.com the website doesn't show what's really cool about the place. they have chocolate from all over the world there. mayan chocolate is my fav. they have a drink called a "short, intense shot" holy moly it's the best thing ever. chocolate, but all the knobs are turned to 11.

A good friend stayed in Germany all September last and he said many eateries serve one beer brand exclusively. You may say, "I'll have a y", and they reply, "you'll have a z".

Can confirm this. It's due to contract conditions for tenants and usually includes beers and soft drinks as well. Wines and juices are less restricted in most cases.

Innkeepers running their own business are basically free in choosing their suppliers but will have to deal with higher prime costs.

the thing about japan is, they do packaging on a level far beyond anyone else. that and the flavors of their candy actually taste like the fruit they claim to be flavored after. in america. they call it cherry, but it's really a generic red flavor that gets used for lots of stuff. (cherry lifesaver, for ex) same with apple. it's always sour green apple, and all you really taste is the sour and the green with no apple. japan has peach flavors that actually taste like a peach, or cherry or lime or whatever. but the better something is, the more layers the packaging has.

the town i live in has a chocolate shop i love to visit http://www.somachocolate.com the website doesn't show what's really cool about the place. they have chocolate from all over the world there. mayan chocolate is my fav. they have a drink called a "short, intense shot" holy moly it's the best thing ever. chocolate, but all the knobs are turned to 11.

Yeah, their candy is quite tasty, and "accurate" to their description, as you stated. The "light" tasting stuff, was more in the

cakes and (some) cookies, etc. They're all very good, once you get used to the lighter flavoring.

CB

I bought some Nescafe coffee recently and it was horrible. So I called them and complained. They said I'd got a version for another market. Although it looks the same it has to taste differently for different countries. Make sense really.

Hershey's is famous out here. In the chocolate world, I'd say it's good but there's better.

I didn't hear about a Cadbury ban! What's up with that? Don't deny me my Easter creme eggs (even though they changed the recipe).

I get most of my chocolate at Trader Joe'd these days… dark chocolate.

Hershey's is famous out here. In the chocolate world, I'd say it's good but there's better.

I didn't hear about a Cadbury ban! What's up with that? Don't deny me my Easter creme eggs (even though they changed the recipe).

I get most of my chocolate at Trader Joe'd these days… dark chocolate.

They (Cadbury) stopped using Dairy Milk chocolate on the creme eggs, instead using cheap inferior chocolate. Totally ruined the eggs. I've not any more since.

I like milk chocolate and have been a Cadbury kid all my life. But I just found out that they've reduced the size of a block by 10% and increased the price about 15%! (wtf?).

Yes, and have you seen what they've done to the size of the Cadburys Crunchies in the multipacks? There about 2/3 of the original size. Things have started to go downhill fast since the hostile takeover of Cadburys by U.S Company Kraft. There now penny pinching, trying to increase profits.

One interesting fact from that take over was that Kraft promised to keep Cadbury's Somerdale factory at Bristol open but one week after the takeover they closed it!

Ian

Guest Farnsbarns

Yes, and have you seen what they've done to the size of the Cadburys Crunchies in the multipacks? There about 2/3 of the original size. Things have started to go downhill fast since the hostile takeover of Cadburys by U.S Company Kraft. There now penny pinching, trying to increase profits.

One interesting fact from that take over was that Kraft promised to keep Cadbury's Somerdale factory at Bristol open but one week after the takeover they closed it!

Ian

I'd forgotten that. The British government should have stepped in and reversed that deal based on that breach of contract. Disgusting!

Just a cupla points...

It's typical for such firms to have differences, by contract, to have differences in specifications and/or origin of manufacturing in different national/regional marketplaces.

Technically it's not a "ban" by a government, but a matter of contract.

Secondly, I found it interesting that in the U.S. at least, there's a fear that even dark chocolate might have any "milk" whatsoever. That appears to be one of "our" collective interesting national differences in that some countries feel some ingredients or processes are nasty and unhealthy and other countries might take an entirely different perspective.

Me, I tend to like chocolate. Seldom have I found chocolate I don't care for, usually in inexpensive "holiday" type chocolates, although some I find "better tasting" than others. That's from purchasing chocolate in Europe, South America, Asia and all around the U.S.

I will say that my memory seems to denote that chocolate tasted "better" in the 1950s but then... It's also said that one's taste buds aren't as sensitive as one ages. So...

BTW, it's not entirely ever a one-way street. "Scotch," for example, in the U.S. has to be from "Scotland," regardless that I personally tend to prefer brands from a certain island off the coast of Scotland. And one might note that they tend to be quite heavily flavored with a "peat" taste I doubt I would have cared for when I was but a child through my 40s or so.

m

BTW, it's not entirely ever a one-way street. "Scotch," for example, in the U.S. has to be from "Scotland," regardless that I personally tend to prefer brands from a certain island off the coast of Scotland. And one might note that they tend to be quite heavily flavored with a "peat" taste I doubt I would have cared for when I was but a child through my 40s or so.

Milod, those islands are still part of Scotland, so it still is genuine Scotch.

Ian

Archived