Gibson Brands Forums

Cadbury ban in US

LarryUK

What do you Americans think of this ban that Hersheys has got against British recipe Cadburys chocolate? Do you like Cadburys? I've not had Hersheys. What is it? Is it sold in the UK?

Having tasted Hersheys (which tastes like someone has thrown up in your mouth, something to do with the sour milk it's made with), and Cadburys recent decision to mess with the Creme Egg and use an inferior chocolate, I've boycotted Cadbury. Don't get me wrong, I love Dairy Milk, but the company should not make major screw ups with some of its best selling products.

It's not our loss that the US has banned it...I feel sorry for the American public.

I read the first page of comments and GEEZ you Britons are serious about your Dairy Milk!

Having never tasted it I can offer no opinion except one; I don't like Milk Chocolate anyway. Used to when younger but that was a long time ago. Even now I remember preferring Cadbury in my youthful, pre-changing-company-ownership days, though!

The only candy bars I get are Milky Way Midnite and York Peppermint Patties, each made with dark chocolate. I'd rather have a PayDay than any besides those two.

I do like Terry's Chocolate Orange or Raspberry, still, only if its dark chocolate, but they're only widely available around Christmas.

From what I've been able to glean in a quick perusal on the net, Cadbury's major ingredient is milk, whereas Hershey uses more sugar. Each use differing oils and Cadbury also lacks the abominable preservatives! [thumbup]

Guest Farnsbarns

Cadburys is very poor quality, cheap chocolate. It's the lowest quality chocolate I would eat. You know, I'll take one if the moment takes me, but it's sh1t. Hesheys on the other hand... Not fit for human consumption. That stuff is utterly disgusting. What the... That's just not chocolate. How much cocoa mass is in there? It can't be much.

On a more possitive note. Hotel Chocolate, that's chocolate. I like dark and theirs is fantastic.

hershey can kiss off anyhow. they moved their factory from pennsylvania to mexico. i haven't eaten hershey's chocolate since they moved several yrs ago

Bingo. Who in the he11 do they think they are? An American Institution? Hershey packed up and left, so shut up.......

Cadbury is awesome. Hershey's ... not so much.

But those are just matters of taste. Any company that seeks to better it self by lobbying for legislation that hurts its competition instead of bettering its product or service is engaged in corporatism and is no friend of mine. I'm a free market sorta guy. [thumbup]

"....Any company that seeks to better it self by lobbies for legislation that hurts its competition instead of bettering its product or service is engaged in corporatism and is no friend of mine. I'm a free market sorta guy." [thumbup]

with ya. [thumbup]

Not sure what kinda Hershey's you guys are eating...the stuff I get up here in Canada is fine. Best chocolate in the world? No. But definitely not disgusting. I'm also more of a dark chocolate guy than milk chocolate, but their milk chocolate still tastes perfectly fine to me.

-Ryan

I love Hershey bars and Cadbury. It's f'd up they moved to Mexico but seems to be the thing to do. If all of Mexico is sneaking across the borders, who's left to work at the factories relocating there. Bottom line, if I want some chocolate I don't give a sh!t where it's made.

My wife, being French, has rather strong opinions about what is and what isn't chocolate. Cadbury's isn't. Not even close. Banned in our house.

And it's pretty obvious that if Cadbury's has been given the Ban-Stick pretty much every other major brand has been 'Coventry'd' as well.

Green & Blacks is allowed in.

I don't like chocolate so couldn't care less but THIS is something I find...erm...not alarming as such but definitely something to monitor;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11395877/Newcastle-Brown-Ale-recipe-to-change-to-keep-America-happy.html

P.

Heard about this ban this morning. Lol. IMO Cadbury's is as nice as some of the upper brand chocolate here in the UK - Hotel Chocolate, Thornton's and so forth.

When I went to the USA for the first time back in 2005 I tried Hershey and thought it was pretty awful stuff. Not to sound anti US chocolate, but most of the confectionary brands were not too good.

However, the US has amazing Mexican food, but that's a whole other food debate.

UK and European chocolate is the best [smile]

I quit eating Hershey's when I found out they use GMO Beet Sugar in the chocolate they sell in the USA. 65 countries have banned GMO products for two reasons (1) they are strongly suspected to cause many diseases and (2) the residual Round-up in the products definitely causes cancer.

I eat Lindt chocolate now. It tastes better too.

Notes

Heard about this ban this morning. Lol. IMO Cadbury's is as nice as some of the upper brand chocolate here in the UK - Hotel Chocolate, Thornton's and so forth.

When I went to the USA for the first time back in 2005 I tried Hershey and thought it was pretty awful stuff. Not to sound anti US chocolate, but most of the confectionary brands were not too good.

However, the US has amazing Mexican food, but that's a whole other food debate.

UK and European chocolate is the best [smile]

The only two American chocolate products I actually like are Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (mini ones are better, as the ratio of PB> Chocolate is better) and Moon Pies. If we're wanting proper chocolate, as has been mentioned, Hotel Chocolat is amazing. For off the shelf, Lindt is rather tasty, the darker the better.

Anyone tried chilli chocolate? That stuff is amazing.

Guest Farnsbarns

My wife, being French, has rather strong opinions about what is and what isn't chocolate. Cadbury's isn't. Not even close. Banned in our house.

And it's pretty obvious that if Cadbury's has been given the Ban-Stick pretty much every other major brand has been 'Coventry'd' as well.

Green & Blacks is allowed in.

I don't like chocolate so couldn't care less but THIS is something I find...erm...not alarming as such but definitely something to monitor;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11395877/Newcastle-Brown-Ale-recipe-to-change-to-keep-America-happy.html

P.

I'm not so bothered. They're going to stop adding food colouring, instead using roasted malt. Seems like they're going to start making a real, Real Ale. I'm never going to complain about that. I like Newky Brown so I'm out on a limb here but I can't see it being worse for some real brewing techniques.

...They're going to stop adding food colouring, instead using roasted malt....

If that is indeed all that is being suggested then I'm happier to have the change than not.

But I am wary of what Big Companies Say they will do and what they actually Do...

P.

I quit eating Hershey's when I found out they use GMO Beet Sugar in the chocolate they sell in the USA. 65 countries have banned GMO products for two reasons (1) they are strongly suspected to cause many diseases and (2) the residual Round-up in the products definitely causes cancer.

I eat Lindt chocolate now. It tastes better too.

Notes

I didn't know that. That's a game changer there

I got hooked on Cadbury chocolate back in the 70s when I spent a lot of time in the UK. Loved it, and upon returning to the US I loved to get the imported Cadbury. I like it better than Hersey-Cadbury. This Cadbury rights mess is worse than the CCR/John Fogerty mess, which is still pretty crazy.

Archived