Gibson Brands Forums

a Defect ?

Ami

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To CLAIM sounds better?

i'd go with REQUEST or DEMAND in this situation. [wink]

Warranty is a great thing to have but when it involves shipping costs and time without a guitar (not to mention your guitar might be damaged at anytime during shipping), I'd rather exchange it for another right then and there.

I bought my Les Paul purely on photos on ZZounds.com. Some people might think that's stupid, but I've done this many times before while knowing full well that I have 45 days to return/exchange it. If it is defective, there is no charge to me at all. There really isn't much of a risk there. Return/exchange policies are something I ALWAYS go over BEFORE I shop anywhere. Some people don't bother looking into that stuff until they need to return something and end up screwed.

i'd go with REQUEST or DEMAND in this situation. [wink]

Warranty is a great thing to have but when it involves shipping costs and time without a guitar (not to mention your guitar might be damaged at anytime during shipping), I'd rather exchange it for another right then and there.

I bought my Les Paul purely on photos on ZZounds.com. Some people might think that's stupid, but I've done this many times before while knowing full well that I have 45 days to return/exchange it. If it is defective, there is no charge to me at all. There really isn't much of a risk there. Return/exchange policies are something I ALWAYS go over BEFORE I shop anywhere. Some people don't bother looking into that stuff until they need to return something and end up screwed.

If you read the whole story, you will see that he "demanded" many times....but none, nor the dealer, nor Gibson, gave a real solution.

Last but not least, they proposed to exchange a defective brand new guitar with another defective brand new guitar.

And....use bigger strings.

Who would accept these as solutions?

Coming to this point, my personal position is "give me my money back and keep your crappy guitars for some other fools". :)

I never bought a guitar I did not try by my hands.

Never.

Notwithstanding this, I bought a brand new 2013 Standard SG in a shop....and issues arose after six months.

In that case, the only thing you can "demand" is to apply the 2-years warranty: repair or replace.

I always "demand", believe me.

But, after I politely "demanded" many times ...if I see people attempting to limit THEIR responsibility and implication and fool me in some way, I begin to politely "pretend".

Usually, in this way, issues are managed and solved. :)

This is just my personal experience, of course.

Hello Ami!

Sad to hear that story...but it is what it is now.

I guess, You still shouldn't settle with the situation. Don't sacrifice playing comfort, for the sake of owning a good-looking guitar!

These binding problems can be corrected (as I stated before). Melting them is one way, super-glue is another. The third option I am thinking of these days, is fluid binding...

http://fingerlakesguitarrepair.com/gibson-refret-saving-the-binding-nibs/

See steps 17-20. A good luthier can do it with confidence. Even a beginner with patience!

Cheers... Bence

Ami,

I think Farns hit the nail on the head. E-mail Gibson and see what they say, I've always found them to be very positive. Why should you put up with a repaired guitar? You bought a brand new one not one that someone has bodged, and unfortunately you will never feel the same way about the guitar, it will always feel second rate to you, you don't deserve that and it's not what you pay for.

Ian

p.s and don't let this put you off Gibson's, there great guitars.

I think his biggest problem is that he's in Israel.

and warranty was talked about here (sounds like blood from a stone)

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/69799-gibson-usa-warranty/page__st__20

I don't think he can deal directly with Gibson USA

Israel

R.B.X. International Co.

The Kley Zemer House

64 Gisin ST.

Petach-tikva 49130, Israel

Israel

Phone: 972-03-925-6900

Fax: 972-03-922-0612

Authorized For: All GMI product lines except Slingerland

G'day Ami. Mate, I think it's time to contact gibby and have a grumble with them, time to bring them into it.

Failing that, I'm assuming you've already completed your compulsary service time. Maybe time to describe to the dealer what damage an arty shell that's been accidently fired to incorrect co-ords can do to a shop front (lol).

That should get his attention.

• 7 months later...

Hey guys,

Looong time !

so to make the story short, after returning to the store few times more (I can be persistent...)they suggested I will fix the guitar anywhere I want (in Israel ofc) and bring them the bill. and so I did. I went back to the same person show told me to put a 0.10 strings and after 2 days I got my guitar back with no sign of repair. only this time no gap !!! the man is an artist. I have no idea how he managed to do that and frankly I don't care :) its fixed and I can play freely with no strings get stuck nowhere. because I really like this specific guitar and how it sounds I don't have any grudge for Gibson...

and to make the story with better and sweeter end, I decided I want another guitar, so, I started to do my homework and found my desired new piece. Ibanez Prestige S 5570. so I went to the same store and reminded them about what I had gone through with their Gibson and they gave me 1,100 ILS (about 280$)discount (and a free Harmonica).

so now I m happy :)

Thanks again to you all for your support and tips !

Ami

Very glad to hear from you about this happy ending! [thumbup]

Sometimes luthier's art seems like performing miracles. I think I also wouldn't scrutinize but just enjoy it. [biggrin]

What about your Ph.D., Ami? Did everything go your way?

The internet has made everyone an expert on everything, and everyones expectations are to be exceeded each and every time they buy something, which is the only thing people are really good at.

"they'll sell a guitar to anyone these days". I often say it, and I always mean it. Most don't know which end does what, but boy they sure know quality when they hear about it on the net.

From my view there s always issue with mass production. And even if Gibson guitar are hand made they are mass produced. And no matter how good your QC is there will always be some products let through.

Why? Because we are human, because the sun sets and there might be aliens.

It's just nature.

So, now we know this. Then what is really important? It's how we are received as customers with a complain. The company that addresses my complain swiftly and without troubles have a customer for life in me.

Anything can break, but only a bad response can break the relationship with a brand.

• 8 months later...

Hey again Gibsoners. :)

I started recording (home studio) some stuff with the Gibson and I had to share my thoughts. the sound is incredible. seriously, after playing for much too long with heavy metal guitars (Jackson and Ibanez) I can bloody hear the difference. (well Duhh). the thing that surprised me the most is the versatility. from deep jazzy clean to fat crunch and the splitting humbuckers is bloody crazy. I never had the option of tone changing and splitting in my Jackson Kelly. I m too embarrassed to say that after 20 (!) years of playing I discovered a whole new world...

so to add more spice to the sound and feel, I got myself a Stratocaster 60th anniversary 1954 reissue special edition. now I feel that I m close some completion. if only I had more time to play... finally I m submitting my Ph.D in 4 months so real life will kick in :(

hope you all doing good !

Guest Farnsbarns

Shocking....

Why oh why don't gibson place the frets OVER the binding in the first place?

They do now. 99% of people I've spoken with dislike it.

The internet has made everyone an expert on everything, and everyones expectations are to be exceeded each and every time they buy something, which is the only thing people are really good at.

"they'll sell a guitar to anyone these days". I often say it, and I always mean it. Most don't know which end does what, but boy they sure know quality when they hear about it on the net.

rct

I wouldnt say the Internet makes everyone a expert,,, just some people have higher standards than others... Take me for instance, I'm a journeyman red seal machinist... It's a given I'm a perfectionist... When I buy something I'm the first one to pick out the flaws or the quality craftsmenship that has been put into a product.... I've seen flawless gibsons more often than not,, but the ones with flaws I believe are qc issues on gibsons part... They should never leave the factory unless they are flawless....

Guest Farnsbarns

Seems to me that allowing minor flaws past QC is a business decision. We can't even properly form an opinion about that without a bird's-eye view of the impact on the business. It could be that the gains out way the losses.

You seem to be stating your opinion on that as fact despite not having such a birds-eye view.

Ignoring the business side of things, in my opinion allowing certain minor finish flaws is fine. These guitars are "hand made" using organic materials. No one isnholding a gun to the consumer. Make your choices but whining about their business practices won't actually help. Make your voice heard by buying flawless guitars of all those manufacturers making them.

To be honest, I've never seen the point of neck binding anyway, does it preserve/protect the neck in some way ?

Hello.

No, it's a purely aesthetical feature to present the class of Gibson luthier's craftsmanship.

Bence.

Is it really worth it if it causes problems though :( I had a LP Standard once, my top E was forever catching on the binding on bends :(

Probably, not a problem with the current Customs with Richlite fingerboards. But, on those made of wood, it might be. They need attention and maintenance to be performed around each fret dressing.

Bence.

Is it really worth it if it causes problems though :( I had a LP Standard once, my top E was forever catching on the binding on bends :(

Good thing Gibson offers Les Pauls without neck binding.

Probably, not a problem with the current Customs with Richlite fingerboards. But, on those made of wood, it might be. They need attention and maintenance to be performed around each fret dressing.

Bence.

I guess I got lucky..

With the 4 solid body Gibson's I have, one of which is 20+ years old, and another about 15... w/Rosewood fret board, binding and nibs, never had a problem like this... then again, my guitars live in their cases when they are not being played, (stored in a closet made just for instrument storage) which I guess would tend to minimize the effects the local climate would have on wood.

I guess I got lucky..

With the 4 solid body Gibson's I have, one of which is 20+ years old, and another about 15... w/Rosewood fret board, binding and nibs, never had a problem like this... then again, my guitars live in their cases when they are not being played, (stored in a closet made just for instrument storage) which I guess would tend to minimize the effects the local climate would have on wood.

Hello Ray.

I wish, Gibson still made the guitar fretboards with the old-fashioned, very tiny nibs. They were less problematic.

These:

HPIM5472_zpscf595c90.jpg

...instead of:

HPIM5971_zpsukdmel0t.jpg

Bence.

Archived