Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Center Opens in Columbia, SC

Frances50

Guitar Center opened a new store in the Harbison area of Columbia, SC Thursday evening. I didn't attend the opening but I went there on Friday. An employee told me they had over 900 people pass through the store on Thursday evening. I signed up for guitar lessons. I was impressed that they offer guitar workshops and the lesson rooms looked really up to date in comparison to the other two music stores that I took lessons from recently.

I didn't hang around to look at the guitars but I noticed a lot of Gibson acoustics and electrics as well as Taylors and Martins. They didn't have any Rainsongs but told me Guitar Center does carry them.

I think it will definitely be major competiton for the mom and pop stores here.

Guitar Center opened a new store in the Harbison area of Columbia, SC Thursday evening. I didn't attend the opening but I went there on Friday. An employee told me they had over 900 people pass through the store on Thursday evening. I signed up for guitar lessons. I was impressed that they offer guitar workshops and the lesson rooms looked really up to date in comparison to the other two music stores that I took lessons from recently.

I didn't hang around to look at the guitars but I noticed a lot of Gibson acoustics and electrics as well as Taylors and Martins. They didn't have any Rainsongs but told me Guitar Center does carry them.

I think it will definitely be major competiton for the mom and pop stores here.

Well I hope not too much competition as I just purchased a 97 Fender USA Roadhouse Strat from a store there called the "Tiny Music Store" via Reverb and the transaction was excellent, the service superb, & the communication the best of the best. [thumbup]

Plus I know a girl there that wants me to come down & have some sweet tea with her with a southern accent that makes me want to start a war to defend her honor. [biggrin]

Plus I know a girl there that wants me to come down & have some sweet tea with her with a southern accent that makes me want to start a war to defend her honor. [biggrin]

This is what I call a cogent reason for the "Tiny Music Store" staying in business. ;)

There must be a guitar solo after the 2nd chorus of this number.....

Well I hope not too much competition as I just purchased a 97 Fender USA Roadhouse Strat from a store there called the "Tiny Music Store" via Reverb and the transaction was excellent, the service superb, & the communication the best of the best. [thumbup]

I have never heard of the "Tiny Music Store" and I've lived here since 1982. It must indeed be tiny. Columbia has really grown up in the past 30 years. It's a traffic nightmare around the Harbison area. I'm over there every day for work and it's a blessing to go home to the country. Guitar Center is right next to Sports Academy so it will have good exposure.

You made her an offer, she offered her honor. All night long it's honor and offer?

I sincerely apologize for that.

On a serious note GC is opening a center in Westlake Village where I work. They are headquartered here. Seems they are not in such dire straights as I thought.

I have never heard of the "Tiny Music Store" and I've lived here since 1982. It must indeed be tiny. Columbia has really grown up in the past 30 years. It's a traffic nightmare around the Harbison area. I'm over there every day for work and it's a blessing to go home to the country. Guitar Center is right next to Sports Academy so it will have good exposure.

Here's the link to their reverb store & my apologies - it's called the "Tiny Guitar Store" https://reverb.com/shop/tiny-guitar-store

This was my 1st purchase thru the Reverb site & don't know if the Tiny Guitar Store has a brick and mortar store front or if it's just some guy(s) selling gear but they are definitely located in Columbia, South Carolina - that's all I know. The guitar was like mint & that ain't bad for a 21 year old guitar. Somebody took real good care of it or never played it. [smile]

I'll defend her honor, your honor.

I know we have a few GC lovers and defenders, but my only dealings with GC have been though their Charlotte, NC store. I made the mistake of buying my ES-335 from them, and though they honored their return policy, the third 335 I eventually ended up with had to be shipped out of their Birmingham store. The first one had a twisted and unstable neck, among many other issues, and I found it back on the wall a week after I returned it. Attention, Wal-Mart shoppers!

Sims Music, OTOH, inspects and sets up each and ever guitar that comes in the door. They stock dozens of Gibson electrics, and even more Fenders, Godins, Ibanezes, etc. and probably close to 75 high quality acoustics, all at competitive pricing. Their sales staff is accommodating, and the store has ties to the very good music department at the University of South Carolina. The store is family owned by a very knowledgable father and son, and their instructors are excellent.

It would be criminal if GC wounded this fine establishment.

...The first one had a twisted and unstable neck, among many other issues, and I found it back on the wall a week after I returned it. Attention, Wal-Mart shoppers!

That's just criminal.Well maybe not criminal but shows zero class on their part. Wow. A**holes [cursing]

I know we have a few GC lovers and defenders, but my only dealings with GC have been though their Charlotte, NC store. I made the mistake of buying my ES-335 from them, and though they honored their return policy, the third 335 I eventually ended up with had to be shipped out of their Birmingham store. _The first one had a twisted and unstable neck, among many other issues, and I found it back on the wall a week after I returned it. Attention, Wal-Mart shoppers!_

Sims Music, OTOH, inspects and sets up each and ever guitar that comes in the door. They stock dozens of Gibson electrics, and even more Fenders, Godins, Ibanezes, etc. and probably close to 75 high quality acoustics, all at competitive pricing. Their sales staff is accommodating, and the store has ties to the very good music department at the University of South Carolina. The store is family owned by a very knowledgable father and son, and their instructors are excellent.

I returned a Gold Top to our local chapter, and only lost 400.00 selling it back to them. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it illegal to sell a returned instrument as brand new? Areturned ANYTHING as brand new? And the reason for the selling price (back to them) was "it looks better than the one we have on the wall" (he said this right in front of me to whoever was running the place). Went back there a couple weeks later, and there's my Gold Top hanging on the wall (again) with a hang-tag that would normally be on a new guitar. Guitar Center has killed all but 2 Mom 'n Pop places within 50 miles of me, and the rest have become pawn shops for instruments mostly...

I know we have a few GC lovers and defenders, but my only dealings with GC have been though their Charlotte, NC store. I made the mistake of buying my ES-335 from them, and though they honored their return policy, the third 335 I eventually ended up with had to be shipped out of their Birmingham store. The first one had a twisted and unstable neck, among many other issues, and I found it back on the wall a week after I returned it. Attention, Wal-Mart shoppers!

Yes, Sims is a great store. My ES-335 came from Sims. I also took lessons there for about 6 months.

I've read lots of stuff about Guitar Center on several boards; some good, some bad. I think it depends on the local management. My Doves in Flight came from Guitar Center in Atlanta. I did all my dealings over the phone for the purchase and I was more than satisfied with the guitar when it arrived. All my other guitars, with the exception of the Olson, came from Sweetwater. I've never been unhappy with any of my guitar purchases.

In any event, I don't plan to purchase any more guitars except maybe a Rainsong at some point. It will be good to see how the lessons go at Guitar Center. I was impressed that they offer workshops and other activities that the local stores don't appear to offer. I just noticed the energy when I walked in the store yesterday. Time will tell.

Archived