Gibson Brands Forums

Money is no object

daveinspain

Guild F-512 Acoustic Jumbo 12-string!

Yes, a Guild 12 definitely.

None. I would try to have them built. Seriously.

I have had 2 guitars built. I'd be more detailed with the specs if I did it again now that I know so much more.

However.....

As money is no object let's not stint on this - I will have one of every Gibson please. I would also go back to 2013 when every Gibson guitar of note was available in gloss black/ebony, and have one of each of those.

But I do not see a black LP 1956 RI Custom with P90 and the 'staple' pup (with or without Bigsby) in the current lineup. Shame!

I have never been a Gibson acoustic guy either. My D-28 sound too damn good.

Acoustic Taylor 816C

Electric ES-175 Steve Howe Signature Model

I was a Taylor guy for 6 months one year. Even had some pitchas taken using it. Hated it.

rct

Hmmm,, well I'd love a gibson standard, in a honey,lemon, iced tea or tobacco burst.. I would also love to even try a esp ltd ec-1000, I like how they sound, although thier not overly expensive I would like to try one an maybe my next purchase if they play as well as they look... As for an acoustic,, I'm notta acoustic guy so maybe a Martin, I played a buddies an it's real nice!! Never had the chance to play a gibson acoustic..

None. I would try to have them built. Seriously.

Glad to see you back capmaster! [thumbup]

For me, it'd probably be a handbuilt Benedetto jazz box and acoustic would be handbuilt cutaway but nylon strung.

If not allowed custom then maybe a Super 400 - acoustic I'm just not sure about at all.

Wierd, how can you hate such a nice guitar?

For my uses, it had no character whatsoever. It was about as generic sounding an acoustic as you could ever imagine. It was a 414 I believe, this woulda been late 90's into 2000 or so, somewhere in there. Ovankgol body, which is guitar speak for "plastic", because man that thing was about as plastic-y sounding as it gets. It was an expensive, like what, 1500 dollar guitar maybe? Sounded like a three hundred dollar no character no pizzaz all mid range no highs no lows just dreadful sounding guitar. My band actually asked me not to use it anymore so I only took out my other actually plastic guitar after that, my Ovation Customme Legende 1869*.

rct

*for sale. but hurry, going out this weekend it'll prolly go in the worst trade I'll ever make.

For my uses, it had no character whatsoever. It was about as generic sounding an acoustic as you could ever imagine. It was a 414 I believe, this woulda been late 90's into 2000 or so, somewhere in there. Ovankgol body, which is guitar speak for "plastic", because man that thing was about as plastic-y sounding as it gets. It was an expensive, like what, 1500 dollar guitar maybe? Sounded like a three hundred dollar no character no pizzaz all mid range no highs no lows just dreadful sounding guitar. My band actually asked me not to use it anymore so I only took out my other actually plastic guitar after that, my Ovation Customme Legende 1869*.

rct

*for sale. but hurry, going out this weekend it'll prolly go in the worst trade I'll ever make.

+1000 ! Not only generic sounding to me, but there was just something about the neck / fret spacing...something... that I could not gel with. I had a 300 series for about 4 months.

FWIW some artists that I know who seemed to be real advocates of Taylor switched to Martin, Santa Cruz, etc.

To each their own, though! I'd never bash anyone for liking something I hated. I only have the market cornered on those things I like! [wink]

We all have opinions, likes / dislikes / strong dislikes. Keeps the million and 1 manufacturers in biz!

Brian

Really surprised to hear what you guys are telling about your Taylor experiences… I bought a Taylor 214ce Delux low endish model, just over a grand but I played 20 or so acoustics before settling on the one I got. I was prepared to pay as much as 2500 and there were a couple used acoustics that I was considering, one of which was a hummingbird… AFter being a real pain in the *** and going to each store and spending hours playing all the guitars I was interested in I settled on the Taylor. Nothing plastic about it, except the binding of course… Anyway to each his own, I'm still quite happy with my choice...

not to get sidetracked.. but Taylors are definitely NOT for everyone.

I think RCT's description is pretty close to what I came away when I tried a 400 series when I was buying my first taylor, which is a 2000 314ce. (Spruce top Saeple body supposed to be "like" mahogany response wise, btw.. not crazy about the satin finish on the back and sides)

I also have 2005 GS Series Grand Symphony, Mahogony body, cedar top which was a new body / bracing design, back in 05.

While the 314ce is a decent guitar, and a real good choice if you're a coffee house, small pub gigger, or a guy to frequent open mics, it's a work horse. good action, comfortable body, has a decent pickup/EQ.. but acoustically, my GS Series destroys it and I like the neck quite a bit better. The resonance of this guitar is unlike anything I've ever played. It may be particular to that guitar tho, the guy I have do all the tough stuff on my guitars, (dude knows his stuff) tell me the first time he played it, that I had a keeper with that one, "They are simply not all like this.."

Although I keep the 314ce, I don't play it nearly as much as my GS which is my main acoustic. Some day soon a J200 is going to come my way and that's probably when me and the 314ce part ways.

I also have a 1978 Alvarez Yari, (this was well before Yari's were mass produced) which is a gem, to me worth 5x more than what I could ever get selling it on fleabay.

no back to the topic at hand..

I still want a J200... badly.......

Archived