Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson neck on a Martin body?

brundaddy

I have a 2005 Martin that sounds better than any Gibson I have ever played but the 16" fretboard radius, the thin neck profile, and the tiny frets all really suck.

So I wonder how much of a circus it is to replace a Martin neck with a Gibson neck. Can anybody clue me in as to how similar or different the joint is? A new bone bridge to match the new radius would be the easy part.

I'm never going to sell it and cosmetics are not a priority whatsoever - the Martin has already had the neck reset and a crack in the top repaired by "California Vintage Guitars" on Van Nuys. (Los Angeles people, do NOT take your guitar there; their British guy is supposedly a guru but he had to do the job twice and he botched the refinish. They're selling a counterfeit Bigsby-necked guitar too, but that's another matter.)

I have my doubts about finding a Dove neck so this may be an absurd fantasy.

But I am in Los Angeles, the land of rock stars and custom guitars so I think if there's anywhere to get this done it would be here. What do y'all think?

Might it be easier to replace the fretbopard and frets, to the radius and size you prefer? I'd be blown away if one could actually swap a Martin neck for a Gibson neck.

Roy Orbison put a Gibson neck on a Gretsch and country guys used to put Bigsby necks on Martins, too. I don't like the neck profile, so I'm kinda gung ho about this.

I'm pretty sure the neck joints are incompatible, and I don't know the proper terminology, but the body would need a new mounting block where the neck joins. Which doesn't seem like a far-fetched fantasyland job.

I've had neck resets that changed the sound of a guitar….there is no guarantee that your guitar will sound the same with a different neck…..rather than go through all this to have a guitar that wil not be stock. and probably lose value, why not just get a luthier to build you what you want? Collings makes clones of Martins AND Gibsons….I'm sure a luthier shop could make something suitable….

I've had neck resets that changed the sound of a guitar….there is no guarantee that your guitar will sound the same with a different neck…..rather than go through all this to have a guitar that wil not be stock. and probably lose value, why not just get a luthier to build you what you want? Collings makes clones of Martins AND Gibsons….I'm sure a luthier shop could make something suitable….

Oh I realize the sound may change somewhat. As mentioned above, the neck has already been reset twice and repainting the top was botched, so resale is out even if I were so inclined. I really don't want a stock guitar. Already has a custom pickguard.

And we all know how big of a deal that is, guys.

Kidding aside, currently the Martin has a mahogany neck w/ rosewood fretboard - the idea being that another mahogany/RW neck will roughly keep it in the ballpark.

No way I buy another guitar since I already bought the Martin, and the butchered repairs have already ruined any resale. Sentimental personal value as a Hurricane Katrina guitar, so I'd never sell it even if it were still mint - I just want to love playing it. Any concepts of "value," "resale," or "investment" are off the table and I want to get creative and stick a Gibson neck on this thing.

The last thing I need is another guitar anyway. Thanks for replying, y'all - please chime in with any experience with Frankenstein guitars or replacing necks!

There is a forum member, tpbiii (Tom), who, rather than compromise the originality of a 1930's Roy Smeck Stage DeLuxe (which was built for Hawaiian playing), had a replacement neck built with more sane-for-Spanish-style playing specs, rather than modify the huge neck and 2+ in. nut width of the Smeck. The original neck could then be set aside and could always be with the guitar. Perhaps your guitar's current neck could be removed, and a replacement made with the identical mortise/tenon, dovetail, whatever. You could then supply the luthier with the neck playability specs that would match your preferences.

Also- you've had 2 neck 'sets on this guitar? What, if any, changes in the guitar's sound did you notice?

I might suggest, as an alternative to having a "new" neck made, to carve the existing one to a shape you like.

Provided there is enough to do so.

I had a guy once re-carve a Strat neck into a new shape. Saul Koll (who makes Koll guitars) did it. The results were fantastic. He asked what shape I wanted, and I saw an LPC in the shop, felt it and said "like this". I was actually surprised that he came so close. That neck felt GREAT when he was done. And for him, an easy task.

A word on sound: I believe the neck has a LOT to do with the sound of a guitar. And I don't see how that much wood sticking out that long couldn't. And I think that even neck thickness, which equates to stiffness AND weight are two of the major contributors to the sound.

Don't do it - it'll be too weird.

And why on earth go for a Gibson neck, they are expensive and hard to find.

Search the market for other necks that would fit, determine the ideal measures and let the luthier go from there.

Had a guitar re-necked myself and would really like to hear your experiences, so please report.

My 5 Yen

I am also a stickler for neck carve. If it don't feel right it really does not matter how it sounds.

Clarence White, of course, slapped a Gretsch fingerboard on a Martin D-28 (an enlarged the soundhole). But swapping out the board will not impact the feel of the neck unless you went with a pretty thick board.

Just a suggestion but why not check out some of the guitars made by Santa Cruz and others who have the rep of out-Martining Martin. Not saying it is a cheap solution but it would be a heck of a lot easier.

Clarence White, of course, slapped a Gretsch fingerboard on a Martin D-28 (an enlarged the soundhole). But swapping out the board will not impact the feel of the neck unless you went with a pretty thick board.

Aha, , , always made me wonder. Thought it was some kind of custom D-35 thing without markers and C.F.M. logo.

That headstock look very Nazarethian.

Ouh mistake - I was thinking whole neck. You clearly write fretboard

You want to do what?

Its a Martin. End of story. I have 2 and they are the business. If you want a Gibson acoustic neck get the Gibson acoustic body that is attached to it.

Now that's a surprising response. I expect more creative thought out of a Frank Zappa fan.

Anyway, if y'all didn't already know this, Gibson doesn't even make a spruce-top dreadnought with rosewood back & sides. As far as I can tell, the closest thing is the J-45. I have played many J-45s and to me they're kinda boring in every way.

So I say again, I'm not buying another guitar. The Martin neck is wrong and a Gibson neck is right. The job will be more complicated than normal but a competent luthier should be able to handle it. No one seems to contradict this so far.

Any suggestions on finding a Gibson acoustic neck? And thanks, slimt - I know!

Anyway, if y'all didn't already know this, Gibson doesn't even make a spruce-top dreadnought with rosewood back & sides. As far as I can tell, the closest thing is the J-45.

Not sure if you are aware of the Sparrow -

http://static.welove...vard/H75442.jpg

Comes as blonde also. .

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Sparrow/Specs.aspx

But I'm almost sure slope shouldered guitars categorize as dreadnoughts from a technical angle.

Not sure if you are aware of the Sparrow -

http://static.welove...vard/H75442.jpg

Comes as blonde also. .

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Sparrow/Specs.aspx

But I'm almost sure slope shouldered guitars categorize as dreadnoughts from a technical angle.

Well hot damn, I stand corrected. Will have to try some out. Really not interested in buying another guitar tho.

Well hot damn, I stand corrected. Will have to try some out. Really not interested in buying another guitar tho.

Hahe, , , have to check if it is in production at the moment.

The person who first ordered it, also designed the p-guard.

It has been discussed passionately here some years ago - and the guy himself even chimed in. Highly interesting.

A pretty impressing guitar.

"Luthier's Mercantile International" says the dovetail joint in Gibsons and Martins is the same and the only difference is the heel shape.

http://www.lmii.com/products/mostly-wood/neck-woods/pre-carved-mahogany-dovetail-necks

Gibson doesn't sell necks but I have lots of Gibsons lying around that I don't play... hmm.

The problem with this is that in sacrificing one of your Gibsons to modify one of your Martins, you will be destroying the value of two guitars, rather than one. The more rational approach, as has been mentioned, is to have a new neck made and fit it to your Martin.

Since Gibson necks vary dramatically in sectional shape by year and model, find one you like, have it digitally scanned, and get someone to CNC carve it or hand carve it for you using template made from the digital scan.

Unless, of course, you have a junk Gibson with a good neck on it, which is unlikely. More often than not, junk guitars have junk necks, unless a car ran over the body if a late-model guitar. Or somebody's ex-wife decided to play baseball or whack-a-mole with their ex-husband's (or ex-wife's) favorite Gibson, which has happened on more than one occasion. Ex-wives tend to know how to get your attention this way.

Don't know what the scale length is on your Martin, but the neck is going to need to match the scale length on your Martin, as well, unless you are putting a new fingerboard on.

Stewmac sells 14-fret neck blanks for a reasonable price, but I have no idea what the sectional shape is like. Nut width is 1 3/4".

In any case, good luck with your search. Necks show up from time to time on ebay, craigslist, and the like, but it will be an astounding stroke of luck if you find exactly what you want.

As has been mentioned before, it might be easier (and cheaper) to find the right guitar/neck combination by buying a different guitar.

The problem with this is that in sacrificing one of your Gibsons to modify one of your Martins, you will be destroying the value of two guitars, rather than one. The more rational approach, as has been mentioned, is to have a new neck made and fit it to your Martin.

Since Gibson necks vary dramatically in sectional shape by year and model, find one you like, have it digitally scanned, and get someone to CNC carve it or hand carve it for you using template made from the digital scan.

Unless, of course, you have a junk Gibson with a good neck on it, which is unlikely.

As has been mentioned before, it might be easier (and cheaper) to find the right guitar/neck combination by buying a different guitar.

I say again, I will not buy another guitar. My neglected Gibsons are electric, so my impulsive suggestion is absurd. I need to find a Gibson neck.

I say again, "value" is not a consideration.

If I'm gonna drop $1000 on this (or more), I want a Gibson neck. The only way I would use anything other than a Gibson neck (cuz they're so damn good looking) would be a neck from Bigsby or Sho-Bud which are even harder to find.

This Martin is going to be an old-school country music Frankenstein guitar. Thanks for the responses y'all! Any tips on finding a Gibson neck are much appreciated.

To be fair to FZ , and no he's not my brother or anything, it is a bit of a crazy idea.

It is however your guitar and you're welcome to fit a banjo body as far as any of us are concerned. It's all your own business :)

If moneys not an object ,as you say, then your first port of call should be a top luthier ?

Maybe contact Gibson to see if they would put one on for you?

I did reach out to Gibson and Bigsby - keep y'all posted. I have played some top shelf custom luthier guitars and they're just ... not as much fun to play as a Gibson! Even though they do play and sound like buttah.

The guitars of Roy Orbison and the country music greats are awesome oddballs. I considered getting another Martin neck but if I'm gonna replace the neck, I want something fun and different.

Roy%20Orbison.jpg

2928_003a.jpg

3738_01.jpg

The pickguard isn't my speed but I like the neck and pickup.

My knowledge of acoustic git-fiddles is not good. I own what many consider "The Acoustic Guitar" a D-28 and when I strum just a simple E chord Angels weep it sound that good. Just like my Gibby BB King Lucille, if my house was on fire I would run in it to save both. Swapping a neck on a Fender Electric easy, 4 bolts done. Swapping a neck on an acoustic unless it is broken, I can not fathom why anyone would want to it. If you really want a more creative wise a$$ answer I can do that. Just let me know. I have been kicked off the forum for a few days for stuff I said.

The Martin neck is not wrong. It may be wrong for you. Martin must be doing something right they have been making those stringed wooden boxes for quite a while with some notable dudes and dudettes playing them.

Its your guitar swap away.

Just think about this statement "I have a 2005 Martin that sounds better than any Gibson"

What Martin do you have by the way?

I was just being a wiseass back at ya. You know, it actually doesn't have a model number- it's a custom dreadnought that Gibson helped me get after Hurricane Katrina. Not particularly valuable in terms of money - neck reset twice, bridge reset, cracked top repaired, poorly refinished. Really does sound absolutely amazing but I don't enjoy playing it for hours and hours like I should, being such a mismatch of the neck and my hands.

I do appreciate everybody's concerns about degrading the value of the instrument to the resale market. But if I don't get the neck I really want, the value of the instrument to my hands is degraded. Which is what really matters to me.

A guitar that has no model number? It has to be something? Why did Gibson help you get a Martin after Katrina? Am I missing something?

It's just stamped "CUSTOM" above the serial number. Gibson helped out a bunch of New Orleans musicians to keep the music going after the storm. For all my *****ing about how Gibson does business, they were a ray of sunshine during a dark time.

Archived