Gibson Brands Forums

Recommended Capo for Songwriter Deluxe

RockyMtnAirShow

Does anyone know of the recommended capo for the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Guitar. I know some don't like to use capos at all, but I do use one every now and then.

I have a decent one, but it seems like either the tension is too much, or it is not fit with the neck as it seems like the neck is a little too wide for the capo I have.

It is hard to find a good capo that you don't have to retune from after using it, but the one I use on my other Guitar does a great job, I don't have to retune after using it, and it works great, But it does not work well with the Gibson?

So, if anyone has some recommendations for the Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Acoustic / Electric Guitar / L.R. Baggs pickup Version Guitar, It would be great to know what you think and Thanks!

The capo of my choice is the Shubb C1. It works well on Gibson 50's, 60's including compound radius, upside down on asymmetrical 60's, early 60's SG, Explorer, and all of my Fender necks with 9.5" or compound radius.

However, because of the rubber pad I recommend removing it after each use on nitro finishes.

I use two different capos , I normally play in three positions : No capo at all A capo on the 2nd fret A capo on the 7th fret Due to the depth of the neck and the width as you move up the neck I use a Kyser wide capo similar to a 12 string . The other one I use is the normal Sbubb brass capo . Tried a G7th but could not get on with it at all , just personal taste . My original Kyser was about nine years old and the spring snapped , Kyser replaced the whole capo free of charge posted to the UK . They even included a Kyser lapel pin and spare nylon pads and a letter of apology

Some fine capos mentioned already. I prefer the Shubb. Here's why: I think the rubber is firmer than the Keyser's (I use Keysers on my practice guitars for their ease of use); I can adjust the tension to fit various parts of the neck and different guitars; I ordered extra rubber pieces from Shubb so that I can cut them to fit different tunings on seperate strings; and, they're small enough that I can put it right before the fret wire or on the fret wire to maintain proper intonation and still get my chording hand to go up and over it when needed. My guitars are set up properly and I've found several spring-loaded, non-adjustable types run the pitch up a bit. And, good point about taking them (any one of them) off the guitar when not in use. Maybe this helps. Good luck.

I'm also a Kyser fan. I use it on all my guitars and it works perfectly fine. It will pull strings sharp if you place it too far back of the fret, but the guitars stay in tune after using it. It works great on my J-35, which I believe has the same neck profile as the Songwriter Deluxe.

I got one of the "ultimate capos" recently and like it, although I don't use a capo all that much. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either ;) http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ULTGTR.htm

I have a Shubb and it is fine, but I don't like the way that design pulls harder on one side than the other. The Ultimate seems to give more even results, especially helps to get a nice solid bass sound. Also, the neck on my 1965 J-50 is so thin that the Shubb would not adjust tight enough. I actually had to remove the screw from the Shubb and grind the body down a bit with a Dremel tool so I could adjust it tight enough!

I got one of the "ultimate capos" recently and like it, although I don't use a capo all that much. Not cheap, but not the most expensive either ;) http://elderly.com/accessories/items/ULTGTR.htm

I have a Shubb and it is fine, but I don't like the way that design pulls harder on one side than the other. The Ultimate seems to give more even results, especially helps to get a nice solid bass sound. Also, the neck on my 1965 J-50 is so thin that the Shubb would not adjust tight enough. I actually had to remove the screw from the Shubb and grind the body down a bit with a Dremel tool so I could adjust it tight enough!

No problem here with Shubb, it's fine on my hummingbird.

No problem either with bass if i put the angle of the shub upside (bass side).

Lots of good advice in here. Also, don't be ashamed of using a capo. They may have been created as a "cheat" (and even if one is cheating, who cares?), but they can really enhance the tonal palette and do all kinds of things! I love capos and have used about a million of them.

I agree to use the one that works. :)

I have had good luck with Keyser. I worried they might be too much tension for my J-15 and Hummingbird with their short scale, but nope. They are just perfect. I even bought a new one, which has a VERY strong spring, and it's still perfect. I too have had them go above and beyond for me, and they are all made right here in the USA. I like Keyser because they're handy and easy and clamp to the headstock.

Another that has not been mentioned, is cheap, small, and works GREAT, is called the Planet Waves NS Capo. I have had several of these and have at least two right now. It is simple, just put it on and turn the knob until you get the tension you want.

I've used a Shubb but lost it. Good capo, but I prefer the Keyser or the Planet Waves NS (don't hate me!).

Some capos I did NOT like: Dunlop Trigger Capo--used for years and years, but it puts too much tension on the strings... and finally broke! Lower-profile than the Keyser but not as good. ALso did not like the G7th capo. I paid a million bucks for it, and I could NOT get enough tension at the first fret. Granted the first fret can be hard, but that is probably where I capo the most frequently. This was back when I used medium strings and probably needed a setup on my guitars, but still...

I tried four different capo's, including the Paige, Shubb, NS, and a generic one, I finally got a Keyser today, and when I opened it. I thought, no way...... this is too tight, too much pressure, it will make retune after I use it, etc......

But I tried and to my surprise, it was the best one out of all the ones I tried. I didn't get any string buzz, it did not take the Guitar out of tune. I did not have to retune after using it, and it is easy to take on and off, and can sit at the head when it is not in use.

I really thought the tension would be too much, but it worked very well with my Songwriter Deluxe. Much better than the others. I had the best luck with the Shubb, until I tried the Keyser. It most definitely was the best for this guitar hands down.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

Woohoo! Yeah, I love my Kysers. The spring does loosen up some after a while! But even after it loosens up, I still seems to give just the right amount of pressure.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the back of the neck on my M-36 has some marks on it. At one point I wondered if I'd somehow done this with the Kyser, but I don't see how that would be possible. Everything is covered in soft material.

I've had my first, pink Kyser since early 2007. I just realized that, after my recent trade-in binge where I traded nearly everything for my Hummingbird, I've actually owned that Kyser longer than any guitar I currently own.

I enjoy some of these topics. My first capo was a writing pencil with the eraser and point ends cut off, along with a couple of heavy duty rubber or elastic bands. I'd never seen anyone using a capo at the time, in my neck of the woods. The only guitar players we ever saw were Volpe, Segovia or Les Paul. It worked so well, I went out and bought a Hamilton. I still use the Hamilton, although the rubber part has been replaced with neoprene gasoline automotive tubing. Currently we use the Hamilton, Kyser or Schubb. They all work great. I know I'm not alone with these opinions. Luckily,replacement rubber parts are available now.

My first capo, in 1999 or so, was one of those elastic ones. It shot off into the audience and I was mortified! I tried a pencil and hair bands and stuff too. :) ended up with a Dunlop which also exploded and was never great.

I thought I was a genius when I figured out I could put the Dunlop on upside down and leave the low E open.

I also thought I was the first person to ever fret an F# root with my thumb on a D chord.

These days I know it's all been done before and am thankful someone convinced me to buy a Kyser :)

I have a very, old, Hamilton Capo from long time ago, and it actually worked as well as some of the ones I tried. But the Keyser is the best for this Guitar by far.

I did notice on the Keyser, it does not have protection on a small 1/4" inch piece when you park it on the head, It is right below where the rubber piece is. It could scratch or even chip if I am not careful. I will put some felt on that small piece on the Keyser to protect the head.

But, so far, the Keyser is working well, and not making me retune after use, and I am getting fairly even pressure across all strings, good sound, and no buzz with the Songwriter Deluxe.

Archived