Gibson Brands Forums

NGD: 2016 J185-Red Spruce

djw171

You guys are killing me here (in a really good way). Now if someone just buys a 2016 SJ-200, all three objects of my GAS will be accounted for and I can hound all three of you mercilessly until I decide which to set my long-term sights upon.

I must say, that autumn sunset burst is stunning. Looks so much better in your photos than Gibson's. (I've found Gibson's are never very true to life or even that flattering.)

Hope we'll get a video??? If I were going to buy a J-185, this would be the one I'd get. Fantastic guitars.

You guys are killing me here (in a really good way). Now if someone just buys a 2016 SJ-200, all three objects of my GAS will be accounted for and I can hound all three of you mercilessly until I decide which to set my long-term sights upon.

I must say, that autumn sunset burst is stunning. Looks so much better in your photos than Gibson's. (I've found Gibson's are never very true to life or even that flattering.)

Hope we'll get a video??? If I were going to buy a J-185, this would be the one I'd get. Fantastic guitars.

Yeah the finish is much nicer than what it even looks like in my pics. I'll try and get some better outdoor shots soon. Always liked the J185 being slightly smaller than the J200 and this one really is a great one.

Yeah the finish is much nicer than what it even looks like in my pics. I'll try and get some better outdoor shots soon. Always liked the J185 being slightly smaller than the J200 and this one really is a great one.

Told this story a billion times, but when I was 18 and buying my first guitar, I went to Mandolin Bros. on Staten Island (this was like 2001). I wanted to buy an SJ-200, but even used they were $3000 (even back then!--and I had no idea you could haggle or anything). So I ruled out the SJ-200 and felt sad.

I then narrowed it down to a used HD-35 (Martin), a factory-second Guild D55, and.... a used Gibson J-185. If that J-185 had been sunburst, I bet I would have bought it, and that would have been the right thing to do.

Bought the Guild, sold it 9 years later. Guilds are great, but... Gibson.

And the memory of that J-185 has haunted me ever since! Stan Jay said, "A Gibson J-200 changed my life when I was your age!" just further reinforcing my woe over that, but then he convinced me of the Guild. Which really was a great guitar... just never bonded I guess.

Thanks! its a nice addition to the J15 and the Southern Jumbo. The finish is superb.

(btw Canada here, formally South Yorkshire)

South Yorkshire - Cool! I bought my first J-185 from

a guy in Sheffield. It was a 91 model and I bought it in 92

for £750. I should never have sold it blah blah blah!

Thanks guys. I was not in the market for another acoustic really at the moment. I have a real nice Southern Jumbo (pic attached) which I was gigging with (still do occasionally) and then I bought a J15 for myself for my Birthday in Feb this year to mainly use for gigging instead and keep some wear off the SJ. When Gibson released their 2016 range the SJ100 Walnut really caught my eye but managed to convince myself to keep off it at least until the new year. I was also thinking maybe the next one would be a D28, something different. Then I see the limited run additions and the J185. Especially the fact it wasn't a cutaway and how nice the finish was. My local dealer said he could get me one as Yorkville, the Canadian distributor had one in stock. Well I just couldn't say no!

re: the tuners, I think I will keep them on for the time being. I know the previous limited run of these Gibson did has the Klusons on. Maybe it would look more 'vintage' I'm not sure. at the moment I don't have plans to gig this one, but time may change that.

Can someone explain is there a different way to attached pics? When I attach I have to make them really small in file size and it's limited to a 500k total. They also only attach as thumbnails.

Archived