Gibson Brands Forums

He Ain't Heavy

Tman

Les Paul Lite. Significant back issues and needed a lighter performing guitar. This one is right at 7 pounds. Thought the 50's rounded profile would be an issue since I am such a 60's thin tapered kinda guy. It is great, awesome, so playable!

Sold a bunch of equipment and other stuff lately. Scored this from Chicago Music Exchange off of Reverb at about $400 less that everything else available. They said very good shape. I don't see any scratches and think is is in excellent shape! Going to switch out the pickups for burstbucker 2, 4-conductor wiring, waxed pots for what I think will be cleaner cleans. I am not a fan of the 490R, 498T myself.

IMG_0966_zpspjiq4ndi.jpgIMG_0967_zpsxi8imqzu.jpgIMG_0969_zpsub1839jv.jpgIMG_0968_zpsfulbsbpo.jpg

Nice Tman. Put some '57 classics in it. What's the little toggle switch for?

Thanks LPGM. I am really a burstbucker1 fan but I couldn't find any that are 4 conductor for coil splitting so I went with 2's. A little higher output and asymmetrical winding for that PAF attempt! The toggle is for child splitting as Caps said.

Ditto on the recommendation and the question...

I like the looks of it [thumbup]

Thanks Surfpup! Looks a bit strange to have a Balck Custom with only 3 knobs. Maybe to save weight? [scared]

NICE! I've played a few of them things and I kinda like them alot!

Sorry to hear of your back troubles.

rct

Thanks man. I couldn't even stand up for one song with the new band a couple of weeks ago. Even my Strat hurts. Thinking on a chambered Warmoth 7/8s to address it.

Congrats, looks really nice! [love]

Coil split for both the PUs in common.

Yep coil splitting. I love the sound of split coil humbuckers.

You're on a bit of a spree matey. Love a black LP. Congrats! What have you done to your back?

Thanks Farns! Yea went crazy selling stuff like old pedals, my GT, another guitar, some furniture etc.

About a year and a half a go I was lifting a floor mat with my wife and I herniated my L3/4 disc and a sequestered fragment broke off and traveled into my neural foramen (tunnel leaving the spine) and is impinging upon a sensitive part of my left L3 nerve. Have had 2 intraspinal steroid injections which have helped tremendously. Trying to avoid surgery. I stood up last night and played this sucker for an hour, no spasms. I'm thinking a good decision. :unsure:

Wow! Looks's amazing!

Congratulations!

Never seen one of them, the 14 Classic Custom Lite was my plan B in case that the 14 Trad wouldn't have been a keeper.

I like it in ebony. Really, really nice.

Hope it's nothing serious with your back, get better soon!

Gracias Mr. Jones! Yes it is a looker. Feels like an SG when wearing it except slightly lighter the SG'd I have played.

Gracias Mr. Jones! Yes it is a looker. Feels like an SG when wearing it except slightly lighter the SG'd I have played.

When checking out two of these in 2013, I had this impression, too. The "belly scarf" on the back makes her feel a bit "Axcess-ish" and "Stratocaster-ish", too. Then there is the crown inlay on the peghead. [biggrin] Funny how they have a nicer balance than typical SGs. I didn't feel any neck-heaviness.

The tone also reminded me of an SG. Possibly BurstBuckers will move the sound towards the Les Paul corner.

Like a 2011 Quilt Top LP of mine with BB 1 & 2, the Custom Lites I tested used the 490R & 498T screw coils when split, and these are NOT humbucking together. BB 1, 2 and 3 would be the same, regardless of combination. BB Pros neck & bridge are reverse wound/reverse polarity and thus would be humbucking, but I couldn't find them for sale actually. [crying] Another way would be connecting the neck pickup coils the other way round and thus use its slug coil for split like Frank Zappa did then. This would alter the neck PU's SC tone but make both PUs humbucking when combined. Works with any four-conductor pickup pairs when same wound/same polarity.

Good luck with your back, Tman, and my best wishes for your recovery.

When checking out two of these in 2013, I had this impression, too. The "belly scarf" on the back makes her feel a bit "Axcess-ish" and "Stratocaster-ish", too. Then there is the crown inlay on the peghead. [biggrin] Funny how they have a nicer balance than typical SGs. I didn't feel any neck-heaviness.

The tone also reminded me of an SG. Possibly BurstBuckers will move the sound towards the Les Paul corner.

Like a 2011 Quilt Top LP of mine with BB 1 & 2, the Custom Lites I tested used the 490R & 498T screw coils when split, and these are NOT humbucking together. BB 1, 2 and 3 would be the same, regardless of combination. BB Pros neck & bridge are reverse wound/reverse polarity and thus would be humbucking, but I couldn't find them for sale actually. [crying] Another way would be connecting the neck pickup coils the other way round and thus use its slug coil for split like Frank Zappa did then. This would alter the neck PU's SC tone but make both PUs humbucking when combined. Works with any four-conductor pickup pairs when same wound/same polarity.

Good luck with your back, Tman, and my best wishes for your recovery.

Vielen Dank mein Freund! Er hat mich für ein Jahr verletzt!

I really would like to wire it up Jimmy Page style. Would that be hum bucking when both split? Am I even close? I was going to re-wire it but I am thinking I should get a pro to do it.

Vielen Dank mein Freund! Er hat mich für ein Jahr verletzt!

I really would like to wire it up Jimmy Page style. Would that be humbucking? Am I even close? I was going to re-wire it but I am thinking I should get a pro to do it.

I'm not sure about the Jimmy Page style. He created or had created lots of switching abilities, but I think I will have to research that. Anyway, if I did that mod, I would prefer push/pull pots over switches under the pickguard.

I really would like to wire it up Jimmy Page style. Would that be humbucking? Am I even close? I was going to re-wire it but I am thinking I should get a pro to do it.

Nice git there Tman. Hang in there with your back ...

I changed out pups and did the JP wiring with 4 push/pull pots in my Studio. It works great, I love the variety ... but I would get a pro to do it next time. I'm still thinking about changing to traditional pots and using the SD Triple Shot rings that have the switches built into them for the switching. I would have to keep one push/pull to get the out of phase option though.

It's not difficult, but it's very fiddly. That's the reason I will let someone else fiddle next time.

Again - Congrats on a very sharp looking ebony

Arghhh...herniated you say? Nasty, annoying pain, my girlfriend suffers of that too.

I really hope that Lester will help you with it.

And now, one question WHY did I have to look at yours????

Quick search and I found out that plan B of mine is still available, darn it.msp_cursing.gif

congrats Phillip. I've said before my old Epi and Melody Maker have the thin bodies and are super light which I find to be the greatest feature of a guitar that's going to suit me. probably each between 5-6 lb and no matter how long i play no back or neck aches - hope it goes that way for you. I also find the light guitars highly resonant - you can feel the resonance against you as you play and they also tend to have good volume even unplugged. [thumbup]

Very nice, I'd like one....but my next gtr will probably be (sshhh) an Epi LP or two....

I have a semi with J Page-type wiring and Schecter Z+ pups. It's great.

I got an expert to do it - he said earthing it was 'a bit of a black art'!

The back injury sounds horrendous. I hope it improves.

We take so much for granted; I met an old friend today, a violinist and her left hand was in a sling. Severe tendonitis, she is a teacher but can't play until it heals; the only thing they can give her are anti-inflammatories.

She thinks she may be able to start playing again in 2016.

Nice git there Tman. Hang in there with your back ...

I changed out pups and did the JP wiring with 4 push/pull pots in my Studio. It works great, I love the variety ... but I would get a pro to do it next time. I'm still thinking about changing to traditional pots and using the SD Triple Shot rings that have the switches built into them for the switching. I would have to keep one push/pull to get the out of phase option though.

It's not difficult, but it's very fiddly. That's the reason I will let someone else fiddle next time.

Again - Congrats on a very sharp looking ebony

Thanks man! I am going to check out the rings. Never heard of them but sounds intriguing. I think it's best if I keep the 3 knobs and not drill. Been down that path before and typically regret it.

Arghhh...herniated you say? Nasty, annoying pain, my girlfriend suffers of that too.

I really hope that Lester will help you with it.

And now, one question WHY did I have to look at yours????

Quick search and I found out that plan B of mine is still available, darn it.msp_cursing.gif

Go ahead take the plunge! I can't stop playing this thing, love it so far (keep playing except nature calls, eating, and of course posting).

Yes herniated disc has really been hell. Right now better. Band practice tomorrow. Light guitar. I'm ready to enjoy it.

congrats Phillip. I've said before my old Epi and Melody Maker have the thin bodies and are super light which I find to be the greatest feature of a guitar that's going to suit me. probably each between 5-6 lb and no matter how long i play no back or neck aches - hope it goes that way for you. I also find the light guitars highly resonant - you can feel the resonance against you as you play and they also tend to have good volume even unplugged. [thumbup]

It does seem resonant, I agree. I'm giving it a go with the full set up tomorrow, we'll see how it goes. [thumbup]

Very nice, I'd like one....but my next gtr will probably be (sshhh) an Epi LP or two....

I have a semi with J Page-type wiring and Schecter Z+ pups. It's great.

I got an expert to do it - he said earthing it was 'a bit of a black art'!

The back injury sounds horrendous. I hope it improves.

We take so much for granted; I met an old friend today, a violinist and her left hand was in a sling. Severe tendonitis, she is a teacher but can't play until it heals; the only thing they can give her are anti-inflammatories.

She thinks she may be able to start playing again in 2016.

Thanks jdgm, I used to take everyday stuff for granted. Now everyday stuff comes with back spasms but it beats the alternative. <_<

Archived