Gibson Brands Forums

J200 contemplating a purchase...

kidblast

The pics of Dave's '200 Customs show many of the variations mentioned- finishes, bridges, wood selection, rosette, and pickguard. To what Em7 had alluded to re: 2 or 4 ribbon bridge- Dave's photos do show more string break on the 2 ribbon, with some deeper "ramping" done for the strings. Believe it was Duluthdan who'd brought some observation/discussion on this a good while back.

Those guitars are some beauties. Dave- are those Taylor guitar stands?

They've got a distinctive sound (if you fingerpick, you really can hear the different voicing), but know that it takes medium strings and a strong right hand technique to get the sound out of it. I'd really try to play one first, just to be sure.

It doesn't HAVE to have medium strings. You can put mediums on it. It comes from Gibson with lights (12-53). I put Elixir PB Nanoweb HD's (.013, .017, .025, .032, .042, .053) on mine and it is killer. Of course, I got it setup FOR those strings.

First: Hello to the preceding forum veterans who've just checked in.

Yes, the SJ-200's are big guitars; but no one says you've gotta play the super jumbo all night long. Funny: 58 Relic mentioned guitar comic/Shredmaster General Greg Koch and his Wildwood demo's; he dwarfs the thing/makes it look like a CJ-165:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tnh23WIcrIM

As an added bonus- the SJ-200 blurs the line between art and instrument . . .

I never realized how big that guy is until I met him. He is huge!

Keith

Very good, Dave. 'Hadn't considered one of those guitar stands until you mentioned the fact that they fold up small enough to fit in the headstock area of the case. Taylor has put their brand on these, and called it a "travel" stand . . . with a 50% up charge.

And to those concerned about the size of the super jumbo, consider the case of the late Little Jimmy Dickens:

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-19%20at%204.05.20%20PM_zpspfurat7i.png

Little Jimmy just had to play the biggest guitar he could find. The guitar in the black and white photo isn't a Gibson, but is sporting a moustache bridge. Did he ever dare sit down with that guitar?

Thank you my brothers, you guys have some beautiful examples!

anyway I eventually came to realize, as many have said, life really only happens once, playing music makes me very happy, came to the conclusion it was now or never. so I held my breath and I took the jump.

I did want some cushion with the warranty, so I went for a 2016. Worked with my guy Stuart (who I've worked with for some years now) at Sweetwater. He arranged an amiable deal, w/free overnight shipping and a personal inspection to boot.

It arrived at 11:30 today, allowed 4 hours of acclimation time, man that was hard!! (it was cold here in Central Mass this morning.)

but Wow, it's incredible. perhaps I shall follow up with some of my own snaps..

13015018-angle-large_zps7cxc1b4c.jpg

13015018-front-large_zps1rtlje2m.jpg

Beautiful.

'Don't see that good of a string break on these big boys that often. A fine burst, and that pickguard would have Emin7 off on a poetic tangent.

Life is short, indeed. The big super jumbos are a celebration of life. Enjoy.

Congrats! Central Taxachusetts indeed! I heard from my brother in Central CT that you all were expecting a foot of the white stuff. Good you got you baby in where it's warm and .. not too dry I hope.

The SJ200s are like Steinways. Truly "The King of the Flat Tops", there is nothing they can't do. Not a song written that wouldn't melt your heart when played on a Super Jumbo!

I hope you had the good judgement to get a blonde with maple back and sides!

Thank you my brothers, you guys have some beautiful examples!

anyway I eventually came to realize, as many have said, life really only happens once, playing music makes me very happy, came to the conclusion it was now or never. so I held my breath and I took the jump.

I did want some cushion with the warranty, so I went for a 2016. Worked with my guy Stuart (who I've worked with for some years now) at Sweetwater. He arranged an amiable deal, w/free overnight shipping and a personal inspection to boot.

It arrived at 11:30 today, allowed 4 hours of acclimation time, man that was hard!! (it was cold here in Central Mass this morning.)

but Wow, it's incredible. perhaps I shall follow up with some of my own snaps..

13015018-angle-large_zps7cxc1b4c.jpg

13015018-front-large_zps1rtlje2m.jpg

Wow very nice!!! Congrats man!!! [biggrin][thumbup]

Congrats! Central Taxachusetts indeed! I heard from my brother in Central CT that you all were expecting a foot of the white stuff. Good you got you baby in where it's warm and .. not too dry I hope.

The SJ200s are like Steinways. Truly "The King of the Flat Tops", there is nothing they can't do. Not a song written that wouldn't melt your heart when played on a Super Jumbo!

I hope you had the good judgement to get a blonde with maple back and sides!

yea, snow comin over night, we thought winter was through,, maybe not.

But alas, I didn't do the blonde!! Does this mean I have to buy another? [omg]

• 3 months later...

So I saw this thread and thought...well here is a good one to start posting on. I have recently come across an 89 j200 with the sycamore ....it literally sings. I have had many acoustics including an old SL Mossman (which has proven hard to beat) but this J200 is an animal in a league of its own. Its not very pretty...the finish is that fullerplast which looks sorta like mode podge....but, the sound of this guitar is golden. It has a production date of....May 22 89 #1 I have the record for it....after looking into it further, does anyone have an earlier model of an 89 that is not a "prototype" could it be that this is one of the first off the line? I was sorta shocked that I stumbled on this gem and was able to trade for it.

89 Gibson J200

64 orig Les Paul

01 SG bass

71 SG Deluxe

Even if you have the money for a new one, try and find one used! I got an INCREDIBLE deal on one a little while back that had a headstock repair, otherwise it didn't have a mark on it, and recently sold it in a giant "thinning of the herd" of both electrics and acoustics, and that is the only guitar I regret parting with. It sounded amazing. I ended up keeping a J45, HD-28 and a 000-15M. Figured I have more variety with the J45 and HD-28 than I'd have with a J45 and J200, and no way I was parting with my J45! But if I wasn't trying to be more responsible and was keeping the 15 or so guitars I had, the J200 would have been a keeper. Loved playing that guitar. A true classic!

I have the J200 I was sorta hoping to get more info on it. I am not certain what date would be considered the first "production model" from Bozeman. I know this is up there just through my limited research.....its a special guitar, just wanted to know if it's "special".

Archived