Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!

Sleeko

. . . somebody buys an EMPEROR REGENT! [thumbup] Over the years you've probably heard me bemoan the fact that I traded my '98 Blond Emperor Regent in toward my Gibby L4CES.

My first love was the Antique Sunburst. The one you used to see in the adds.ASEmperor2_zps928dd154.jpg

I got the blond because a friend suggested that it looked so much more expensive and classy. And I do have a thing for blonds. So I went with that.

If you've been looking at ebay for the last two months a bunch of these antique sunburst Emperors have been listed. I spotted one that looked virtually new - even the gold looked great which is the first thing to go on these. I made the seller an offer after he listed it 3 times, with an option to buy and I got it. I don't think it's ever been played. Still smells new and even the scratch plate isn't scratched. Not even a little. Came with a great original case as well with an arched top. I threw on my favorite Thomastik flatwound 13's and she absolutely sings. She's a '94 model not sure if Samick or Peerless. I'll have to check it out. At last at last! [thumbup]

819A1AD1-9D0F-4810-B8AD-65F8FC09027B_zpsp1lxx2uy.jpg

3D217B34-56AF-458D-A312-DA8BC0B44F4B_zpsgkfgo30a.jpg

32150E77-0BF9-4FFD-BC6E-A052B6B8CD1F_zps7oumj2kr.jpg

60E88F1E-F520-46EE-886C-EF4482A47BA9_zpsq9mamb0w.jpg

3A03EFF2-A8B4-4BD9-A1FE-2368B97CD79D_zpsnmdf4cap.jpg

. . . somebody buys an EMPEROR REGENT! [thumbup] Over the years you've probably heard me bemoan the fact that I traded my '98 Blond Emperor Regent in toward my Gibby L4CES.

My first love was the Antique Sunburst. The one you used to see in the adds.ASEmperor2_zps928dd154.jpg

I got the blond because a friend suggested that it looked so much more expensive and classy. And I do have a thing for blonds. So I went with that.

If you've been looking at ebay for the last two months a bunch of these antique sunburst Emperors have been listed. I spotted one that looked virtually new - even the gold looked great which is the first thing to go on these. I made the seller an offer after he listed it 3 times, with an option to buy and I got it. I don't think it's ever been played. Still smells new and even the scratch plate isn't scratched. Not even a little. Came with a great original case as well with an arched top. I threw on my favorite Thomastik flatwound 13's and she absolutely sings. She's a '94 model not sure if Samick or Peerless. I'll have to check it out. At last at last! [thumbup]

819A1AD1-9D0F-4810-B8AD-65F8FC09027B_zpsp1lxx2uy.jpg

3D217B34-56AF-458D-A312-DA8BC0B44F4B_zpsgkfgo30a.jpg

32150E77-0BF9-4FFD-BC6E-A052B6B8CD1F_zps7oumj2kr.jpg

60E88F1E-F520-46EE-886C-EF4482A47BA9_zpsq9mamb0w.jpg

3A03EFF2-A8B4-4BD9-A1FE-2368B97CD79D_zpsnmdf4cap.jpg

Wow, that is stunning in style and beauty, Sleeko. Congrats man, even the case looks showroom. Always good to re-acquire something we let go then regretted.

You must be a happy camper right now! [biggrin]

[rolleyes] Thanks y'all. This guitar taught me something in life and that is don't do something if it doesn't feel right. A voice was screaming in my head not to trade in the Emperor but the salesman said to me it would be silly to have two guitars of the same kind plus it would help pay for the Gibson. Seemed to make sence at the time. [unsure] But once it was gone it was gone. Lesson learned.

Sleeko, I scored one of those in Antique Sunburst too a few months ago, and am loving it. If the serial number on the label inside the body starts with an R, it's Peerless (which I suspect is the case.)

Thanks Parabar, apparently our tastes run the same. I was just going to plug in the serial number but can't seem to find the site. I've been eyeing the eBay this past year and was finally able to afford one. How about a pic of yours when you get a chance

Found the page for identification. Serial # is R94P2908, Peerless 1994, P - not sure what this P stands for, unit #2908.

Can anybody tell me what tuner knobs these are on this emperor? I'm guessing Gotoh? [biggrin] I may put on a new set of buttons, just the buttons, meh just to do it. I want to spoil her.

I was looking at these. Not sure if they will fit. Any recommendations? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gold-Buttons-Gotoh-Mini-Sealed-Guitar-Tuners-TK-7714-002-/321991318089?hash=item4af82d9a49

Or maybe Schaller? I think they are Gotohs on the guitar or imitation Gotohs LoL [unsure]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Schaller-Gold-Buttons-M6-Mini-Fender-Am-Series-Guitar-Tuners-TK-0996-002-/222049830739?hash=item33b3338753

A814BD22-D255-492F-A512-0C46A71A0BC9_zpsnrq0c25r.jpg

Can anybody tell me what tuner knobs these are on this emperor? I'm guessing Gotoh? [biggrin] I may put on a new set of buttons, just the buttons, meh just to do it. I want to spoil her.

I was looking at these. Not sure if they will fit. Any recommendations? Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gold-Buttons-Gotoh-Mini-Sealed-Guitar-Tuners-TK-7714-002-/321991318089?hash=item4af82d9a49

Or maybe Schaller? I think they are Gotohs on the guitar or imitation Gotohs LoL [unsure]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Schaller-Gold-Buttons-M6-Mini-Fender-Am-Series-Guitar-Tuners-TK-0996-002-/222049830739?hash=item33b3338753

A814BD22-D255-492F-A512-0C46A71A0BC9_zpsnrq0c25r.jpg

DEFINITELY look like Gotohs. And these should be VERY good tuners. I am referring to the pic of the headstock here.

DEFINITELY look like Gotohs. And these should be VERY good tuners. I am referring to the pic of the headstock here.

Yes have to agree looking again, slight differences to Schaller. Sure buttons are not minis.

Love Regents!! I have one from the last year they were in production (2010) and it's excellent.

I also have a 2011 broadway,, if push came to shove, and I had to sell of one of them probably keep the regent.

if those are the stock tuners then they're probably some generic version of Gotohs. to my knowledge; these never came stock with Gotoh.

Yeah I figured that. Just wondering if the ligit knobs would fit the generic tuners.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Regent, I have a 2005 blonde, got it in September of 2015. Question for you: What did your Gibson L4CES lack that made you miss your Regent? I ask because I have an ES-175TD (1989 mahogany back and sides) and I like the fact that you can get to the higher frets much easier with it's Florentine cutaway, like the L-4. By contrast, the Regents Venetian cutaway does not allow as easy of access to the upper fret board.

The tone and volume set-up on the Regent is a bit odd with the tone at the top. I had to tighten up the jack and all the hardware screws on mine, presumably due to the guitar drying out as I live in Southern California. If you ever get to missing your blondie, I'll swap ya for your L-4!!!!

Archived