Gibson Brands Forums

Rolling Stones in Cuba

daveinspain

Keith Richards looks like he's dead.

Oh dear. Don't think he's actually playing much guitar either, perhaps that's why....

Cuba is returning to communism and closing the place up after that.

rct

Think they may already be communist...? [smile]

Ry Cooder recorded the 'Buena Vista Social Club', 'Mambo Sinuendo' albums in Cuba and was heavily penalised by US government for it.

Man I wanted nasty overly strong cigars that I can only get when I go to Canada or Europe or The Carib.

Oh brother.

We lived in Bermuda, 1984 - 1987. I would go down to Pembroke Stadium on Friday nights for the fights, suit and tie minimum, a tux preferred. The Canadian Air Farce vs Bermuda Police bouts were the two or three undercards, and they were a hoot. Nothing like watching a guy find out that as tough as you may be in the lunch room, you are nothing when some other guy literally beats the sh1t out of you in front of a few thousand people, and we saw quite a few pants sh1tters.

After the openers would be a pro undercard.

After that, before the main event, Cognac, Armagnac, Champagne, and a big box of various Cubans would be passed down the seat rows. There I learned about good Armagnac and good Cubans. At The Newport Room, Tom Moore's Tavern, Elbow Beach, Coral Reef, Romanov's, yes, those Romanov's, we learned how to eat continental. At Romanov's they'd bring the 150 year old Armagnac and Cognac to the table, with a box of various Cubans to go with each.

I was 24 years old. It was fukking heaven.

One trip back in 1985 I had six Cubans in my shirt pocket, which was supposed to be legal, personal consumption that could be publicly be carried was good. Nope. In Philly they took them, all six, they actually thanked me for them.

I miss a good Cuban and two three fingers of that nectar from the blood soaked fields* of France that we call Armagnac.

rct

*Does Armagnac come from Champagne, those blood soaked fields? Pippy knows.

They just celebrated their 50th Anniversary. They all must be in their 70's. Just Googled: Singer Mick Jagger, 70, lead guitarist Keith Richards, 70, and drummer Charlie Watts, 72, and guitarist Ronnie Wood, the baby of the group at a sprightly 66. Saw them in 81 or 82 on the Tattoo You Tour. Along with seeing the Beach Boys in 85. Two worst concerts I ever went to.

Add two more years to each member and you got it right...

Come on folks...They look and sound great. They are rocking! Damn Keith's black ES looks great. [thumbup]

I'm sure they do and I'm sure they are. I' haven't paid the least attention to any of it, I was dazzled by the speed with which the usual capitalist cannibalism commenced there.

One President and all of the people associated with him, which is a crap load.

More than 40 US Senators and Representatives and the entourage, assistants, committee pages and family members that go with each.

The major media outlets all set up shop downtown for what? A week?

Everybody got a nice trip to Cuba on the company. What a shocker. Couple weeks when there is somewhere else cool to go we won't be hearing any more about Cuba and the annoying whiney rich and the even more annoying and more whiney poor there, they'll fade into another Puerto Rico in no time. That's what our system does.

rct

I think its great that the Stones are still performing. They seem to be enjoying themselves too.

BTW JF Kennedy bought a whole load of Cuban cigars just before placing the 1962 embargo on Cuba

http://www.irishcentral.com/roots/john-f-kennedy-snagged-1200-cuban-cigars-before-ordering-us-trade-embargo-on-cuba-video-139004464-237788511.html

Archived