Gibson Brands Forums

It finally arrived!

harmonicchaos

Hey man' date=' just read the first post, congratulations... what model did you go with? (b5 or b7?) And did you just drill holes into the guitar or used one of those adapters?

Hope you enjoy it and will need to see some pics soon![/quote']

Thanks! I went with the B7. I liked the look of the B7 best and I heard the most good comments about it. Nah, I just drilled. I don't quite see what all the fuss is about, the holes are basically the size of the pick guard screw-holes (the drill bit I used was 3/32).

I had heard a little about adapters (via ebay) but they were expensive and I didn't want to monkey with them. I've just got a VM Studio so i didn't have to worry about any paint etc. I'll be refinishing it soon anyway. I didn't have any aesthetic blemishes happen due to the Bigsby though if anyone was wondering.

But yeah, no problems with installation. I figure if a 14-year-old with little hardware experience can do it, most people can.

As far as tuning goes, it really hasn't been much of any issue for me so far. I have more problems with the tuning doing big Gilmour-bends than the Bigsby. I do use 11's but I also play 2+ steps down from E standard frequently. I was shocked that it didn't go bonkers with use when I had downtuned. A VERY pleasant surprise!

The Bigsby added a little bit of weight to the guitar but it feels REALLY good to me. I like the heaviness of the un-chambered Les Paul's so now I can kinda pretend I've got and old un-chambered LP. [-X It somehow feels more balanced as well... if that makes any sense.

I haven't noticed any relevant changes to sustain but I couldn't try it with and without the Bigsby consecutively so there may be a bit. Nothing huge here though.

I have to say that the hardest thing to do was to set the new strings up for tuning. It was a pain in the *** to get the string loops in the pegs. It's not too difficult though, I think I'll get use to it in time.

I think that's most of it. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask, I'll do my best to answer them thoroughly.

Pics WILL come. Might take a bit though.

Thanks for putting up with me through this whole process. Don't worry though, I'll be having some more annoying questions eventually. ;)

Finally got the computer to be nice to photobucket...

Here's some pics. Not one of those shiny 'looker' guitars so many of you have (although that'll be remedied w/ the refinish)... but definitely not a dog. I sure like the look, and the sound is wonderful. Deep and resonant, almost reminiscent of a semi-hollow. Tried a Standard, too shrill and trebly for my ears.

Btw, I had a good guitar tech look it over and he said that I did an excellent job on the installation. Nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

Here ya go...

IMG_0669-1.jpg

IMG_0671-1.jpg

IMG_0686-1.jpg

IMG_0687-1.jpg

IMG_0680.jpg

Looking good man... I like all of the pics' date=' but the one I like the most is the last... you can really see how the bigsby compliments that guitar in that pic.

Congrats again![/quote']

Thanks!

Yeah, i had a hell of a time trying to take that one... I had try to hold still while reaching for the button to take the pic. None of the pics are that great, just took them real quick.

Yeah in addition to being a wonderful affect (can't get enough of using it... don't think i'll be able to have an electric w/out some form of vibrato from now on) it has improved the look of my guitar immensely.

:)

Yeah' date=' really makes the guitar pop. Does it still fit in the case ok?

[/quote']

Yeah, absolutely no problem. The arm turns clockwise so that it is almost parallel with the bridge. When it's in this position, it lies flat enough to be able to close the case without any issues.

Hey' date=' nice job! I love the way that looks. I'm not sure I would refinish that thing.. lookin' sweet the way it is IMHO.[/quote']

Yeah I am too now. My original refinish included about 70% of the guitar to be covered in opaque paint. Now I'm going back to the drawing board to allow most of my refinish, if not all of it, to be done in a transparent way so that the guitar's wood is visible.

a silver burst refin would suit that guitar perfectly

did you see my concept art? because my original idea was for it to be a sort of silverburst! I may end up keeping my original design w/ the silverburst, but i'm also going to try making a concept art for a more natural and wood-showing version of my original design.

Wow, that does look really nice. Good job.

The silver theme should look really good. I too want to refinish the top of my VM one day.

I think you should replace the knobs with top hats, that is the very first thing I did.

Guitars074.jpg

Wow' date=' that does look really nice. Good job.

The silver theme should look really good. I too want to refinish the top of my VM one day.

I think you should replace the knobs with top hats, that is the very first thing I did.

[img']http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m44/jorgeasc/Guitars074.jpg[/img]

Yep, that's on the list (among a sh-itload of other things).

The only reason i've held out as long as i have is because i don't know if i want to do something like silver-topped black top hats or get some wooden knobs.

Archived