Gibson Brands Forums

Any Doors fans?

JuanCarlosVejar

I saw the Doors in the fall of 1967, when I was a junior in college. I liked them a lot back then, in my hippie-trippy days. Pretty good stuff to listen to lying on the floor with a brain full of weed, as I recall.

Bought a copy of "Strange Days" a few years ago, and listened to it once. Some of it just seems creepy to me now.

I'm either having massive flashbacks, or just getting old. Probably both.

Soundtrack for some of my best (strange) days! Throw in a little Country Joe and the Fish, Jefferson Airplane, and early Grateful Dead - surprised I can remember all that....

Now you're talkin'! I was (and still am) a big Airplane fan. Country Joe was fun, and early Dead were heavy going at times (think the intro to "Morning Dew". Gave real meaning to "heavy".).

Morrison was a bit freaky for me much of the time, especially in hindsight. Guy definitely had some Oedipus problems. Maybe that happens when your father is a Navy admiral.

Now you're talkin'! I was (and still am) a big Airplane fan. Country Joe was fun, and early Dead were heavy going at times (think the intro to "Morning Dew". Gave real meaning to "heavy".).

Morrison was a bit freaky for me much of the time, especially in hindsight. Guy definitely had some Oedipus problems. Maybe that happens when your father is a Navy admiral.

That's crossed my mind a time or two - have to be careful what I say about the USN; back in the Nam I was USMC attached to Naval Intelligence and discovered pretty quickly that Naval Intelligence was a definite contradiction in terms....

I was never a big Doors and fan and thought they pretty much sucked live. I was an Airplane guy though. I saw Country Joe several times and recall thinking they played everything too fast. I was more of a Byrds and Blues Project kind of guy. I was also a big time Fairport Convention fan. Unfortunately they did not tour the States until 1970 so I never got to see the original lineup. But then again, I always seemed to be the happiest when going to see guys like John Hammond and Dave Van Ronk somewhere.

The Doors...mmmmmmm :-k .....

Prefer Jose Feliciano

Roadhouse Blues seems to be a standard around here(IMO boring and repetitive)

Some of their instrumentation is inspired...Riders on the Storm.... [thumbup]

Perhaps the legend carries them on in perpetuity... [biggrin]

V

:-({|=

Doors fan or no, Riders on the Storm sets a mood for a rainy day. I was searching out the Gibson Roy Smeck content video done by

, and ran across a great instrumental version of Riders. Some of the forum veterans may recall that Jackson's closed abruptly under sketchy circumstances. Many people who had valuable guitars on consignment were left trying to get their guitars back. . . a bad situation.

This version of Riders on the Storm by Panos Konstantinou will surprise you with it's faithful attempt to capture much of the signature sounds of the original. Good background music. With a little help from some overdubbing. And the copious amount of reverb is just fine here at casting the spell (note the hellacious harmonic run in the intro. . . never knew that was done with harmonics):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWA4M1hoY7o

Doors fan or no, Riders on the Storm sets a mood for a rainy day. I was searching out the Gibson Roy Smeck content video done by

, and ran across a great instrumental version of Riders. Some of the forum veterans may recall that Jackson's closed abruptly under sketchy circumstances. Many people who had valuable guitars on consignment were left trying to get their guitars back. . . a bad situation.

This version of Riders on the Storm by Panos Konstantinou will surprise you with it's faithful attempt to capture much of the signature sounds of the original. Good background music. With a little help from some overdubbing. And the copious amount of reverb is just fine here at casting the spell (note the hellacious harmonic run in the intro. . . never knew that was done with harmonics):

Nice versions. I wish I'd listened to the Danny Ross version first. After listening to Pano, all else fails in comparison. As I always felt since back in the day, the Doors needed a better guitar player. I felt the same way about Janis Joplin. Just think if she had dumped Big Brother earlier and hooked up with someone like Clapton or Hendrix.

Nice versions. I wish I'd listened to the Danny Ross version first. After listening to Pano, all else fails in comparison. As I always felt since back in the day, the Doors needed a better guitar player. I felt the same way about Janis Joplin. Just think if she had dumped Big Brother earlier and hooked up with someone like Clapton or Hendrix.

You've probably heard Janis'n Johnny Winter... [thumbup]

A dream team at the time....not sure how long it lasted...

V

:-({|=

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that - I always loved Robbie Krieger's playing.

It's just so unique in the world of rock and roll music.

This thread just got me listening to 10 minutes of 'Back Door Man,' one of the songs my 1968 group was playing around Rochester, NY. Certainly not an 'authentic' blues arrangement, but a great arrangement, and wonderful guitar solos!

Dave in SLC

Archived