Gibson Brands Forums

Acoustics and strap pins

rct

I am in no way an acoustic maven, nor will I ever be. I have used them my whole life, I usually have one at the gig, and one around the house out all the time. But I don't care about them like the AGF people do. I've had the ban stick put on me a few times and I hardly even post there, that's how tight them guys are.

We had a thread here in the lounge about putting strap pin on a good acoustic. I said don't, use a headstock strap.

I got yelled at by Luther because he saw me out using my CFMarteen with a headstock strap and that you can't be foolin around up there like that with that thing suspended by the headstock, it isn't going to last.

So I got out the drill today and hacked a couple Dunlops onto it. I don't care if they are not precisely aligned with GPS coordinates or anything, I just stuck them where I want them.

So there it is, I confess. I took a drill to my Martin, now it is normal. An extra plus is a much quicker guitar change now too, which I hadn't considered, and one less strap to carry, now I can do the night with just one strap.

I apologize for giving advice to someone and then turning around and doing the opposite. I got hammered by the guy that sets up my guitars, and he did it good, so, I had it coming.

rct

I am in no way an acoustic maven, nor will I ever be. I have used them my whole life, I usually have one at the gig, and one around the house out all the time. But I don't care about them like the AGF people do. I've had the ban stick put on me a few times and I hardly even post there, that's how tight them guys are.

We had a thread here in the lounge about putting strap pin on a good acoustic. I said don't, use a headstock strap.

I got yelled at by Luther because he saw me out using my CFMarteen with a headstock strap and that you can't be foolin around up there like that with that thing suspended by the headstock, it isn't going to last.

So I got out the drill today and hacked a couple Dunlops onto it. I don't care if they are not precisely aligned with GPS coordinates or anything, I just stuck them where I want them.

So there it is, I confess. I took a drill to my Martin, now it is normal. An extra plus is a much quicker guitar change now too, which I hadn't considered, and one less strap to carry, now I can do the night with just one strap.

I apologize for giving advice to someone and then turning around and doing the opposite. I got hammered by the guy that sets up my guitars, and he did it good, so, I had it coming.

rct

As a hardcore flat-top man and dedicated AGF lizard, I find all this extremely funny! In my extreme Texas youth, strap buttons were virtually never seen on acoustics. Some of the good ol' boys would have likely called your masculinity into question had you used one. Times and trends, my friend, times and trends....

I've added strap buttons to the heel of every acoustic I've ever owned if it did not already have one. But I've never owned a really nice one. Still, I'd drill it if I had to. [thumbup]

I have another nice one coming in June, but I'll have them put them on while I go for a coffee and a cigar. It it's a M-36 I probably shouldn't be goin at it with the Black&Decker.

rct

I've added strap buttons to the heel of every acoustic I've ever owned if it did not already have one. But I've never owned a really nice one. Still, I'd drill it if I had to. [thumbup]

Here's where Epi puts 'em, but I'm with surfpup, drill away!

001-2.jpg

I have another nice one coming in June, but I'll have them put them on while I go for a coffee and a cigar. It it's a M-36 I probably shouldn't be goin at it with the Black&Decker.

rct

I always add a button where I damn well please, but always use a drill that doesn't run off batteries or a power cord; M-36 is a splendid instrument.

I always add a button where I damn well please, but always use a drill that doesn't run off batteries or a power cord; M-36 is a splendid instrument.

I'm so used to whacking at Fenders and Gibsons that have to live through a lot that it doesn't occur to me that the acoustic is any more fragile. And yes, I am so undeserving an M-36. Maybe a 000-17 Black. SWOMGT maybe. He's got an OM-28 that I probably shouldn't be in the building with.

rct

Here's where Epi puts 'em, but I'm with surfpup, drill away!

001-2.jpg

That's pretty close to where I put mine, I'm pretty sure I'm more wrong. I'm kinda hoping some coustic sniffers will see it and sh1t themselves.

rct

As a hardcore flat-top man and dedicated AGF lizard, I find all this extremely funny!

AGF makes Tube Audio Snobs look downright rational. Holy crap if I could just sit around staring at my reflection in my latest 8 thousand dollar acquisition. What a life! I'd like to borrow some of them guitars for a night.

rct

As a hardcore flat-top man and dedicated AGF lizard, I find all this extremely funny!

Tonight, in the Why do I lose money when I sell waaaaahhwaaaaaahh thread I was going to write one sentence:

"If you actually took them out and did something with them once in a while they'd be worth even less, so buck up buck."

I'da got the ban stick in a second. I'm surprised the answer I put up didn't get me a stern warning.

rct

Tonight, in the Why do I lose money when I sell waaaaahhwaaaaaahh thread I was going to write one sentence:

"If you actually took them out and did something with them once in a while they'd be worth even less, so buck up buck."

I'da got the ban stick in a second. I'm surprised the answer I put up didn't get me a stern warning.

rct

I have to check that one out in a minute or so. Brand new depreciates almost as badly in new guitars as it does in new cars, and always has. If you can plan to live long enough, you might recoup the original selling price, but if you don't want to lose money on resale, used (not necessarily vintage) is a better notion.

When I got my shiny new J-45 I put a strap button on the heel right away. And it's crooked enough so I notice it every time I look at it. :unsure:

Yep.

That's what I did too.

Except I didn't actually have a strap button at the time.

I just used a 2" sheet rock screw I had laying around.

Yep.

That's what I did too.

Except I didn't actually have a strap button at the time.

I just used a 2" sheet rock screw I had laying around.

Now THAT is a rural bluegrasser's strap button; not proper unless you use a length of clothesline rope as a strap, though....

So when is this M-36 coming home?

June is Bead&Button Milwaukee, biggest bead show on earth. A week of classes and lectures and meetings and such that will have Mrs busy 20 hours of most days, Sunday to Sunday.

I will be out and about, visiting the place I bought my Martin in 2014. Not sure what I'll be coming home with, but the M-36 and that OM-28 are high on the list. I have three guitars to unload, my gigging strat that I don't reach for anymore and a couple Epiphones that I have not bonded with at all, so it is pretty exciting. And there's a few other great stores out there including another big Martin guy, and a pretty good GC out in...Brookline? Brookfield? West of the city.

It's a nice drive if you go down and around Chicagoland and it is at least away from the east coast, so, Can't wait!

rct

I drove almost one hour one way to have the guy I go to add a pin to my j200,

Honestly he did the job like you woulda buttered a muffin.. didn't charge me neither.

The head stock strap thing doesn't work for me. Just didn't fit right.

I expect to die with this acoustic so resale value isn't relevant.

You did what ya had ta do brutha...

While you're out shopping, check out their J-40, HD-28 and HD-28V while you're at it.

Those are the best sounding acoustics I've heard but I haven't heard them all, of course.

FWIW, my strap buttons go dead center on the back of the guitar on the heel like you'd find on a Gibson electric. That way I can get my fat little fingers up the neck without interference.

While you're out shopping, check out their J-40, HD-28 and HD-28V while you're at it.

Those are the best sounding acoustics I've heard but I haven't heard them all, of course.

FWIW, my strap buttons go dead center on the back of the guitar on the heel like you'd find on a Gibson electric. That way I can get my fat little fingers up the neck without interference.

Oh yeah, he's got a couple D/HD objects, I do love them as well. I spend very little time up there on an acoustic, so it doesn't interfere much, but I dig where yer comin from.

rct

[lol] I had no idea!

There's only like me and two other guys in the entire Milwaukee Convention Center and hotel complex. It's pretty awesome!

rct

There's only like me and two other guys in the entire Milwaukee Convention Center and hotel complex. It's pretty awesome!

rct

And to think I've been spending all this time at guitar shows - talk about your sausage fest. Just bring one of those fine acoustics and strum some in the lobby, you'll be swarmed by milfs... and/or gilfs... you're gonna need a bigger room. [biggrin]

Archived