Gibson Brands Forums

Official HUMMINGBIRD owners thread!

BirdMan81

Birdman, I have tried many strings types and many pin varities on my bird. I found Elixir 80/20 nano's to be my best bet...love the longevity...LOVE the tone after they "break in." but that is subjective of course.......but the biggest difference I've found was in the pins....for me..the factory plastic pins made it  sound Meh....the bone pins freaked it out on volume and treble removing the hum from the hummingbird ...the Ebony/abalone Martin brand pins...ahhh..there was the sweet spot I was looking for...harnessed treble....blended and warm lows and even all across the mid stings. ... I just wish mine was red like yours is....so beautiful.

hb w e pins.JPG

Edited by ALD323
added red comment

22 hours ago, ALD323 said:

harnessed treble....blended and warm lows and even all across the mid stings. ...

I too need to harness my Bird-trebs - sometimes even use light duct-tape under the saddle (B high-E).

Yes, I hear the yells of protest, but never the less. . 

Thanx for introducing the word harness to me ^ Never met it over here.  

E-minor7 ...the ebony pins really did the trick for me....the trebles were just a little too shiny and seemed to blanket the rich warmth of the hog. I bought the ebony pins at GC and figured I give them a try. The bone pins absolutely devastated it with high trebs, and I even experimented with a bone saddle from colossi...that made it sound like an HD -28 ...way too deep and full and loud. I think a Hummingbird should "Hum." That was why I bought it, and I love it better every day! Good luck on harnessing your trebles..it really can be done...I would say however it took some getting used to looking at dark pins verses the typical gibson white ball pin..which I prefer the looks of....but tone had to win out for me over that idea...and the ebony made it sweet, rich and low...JUST what I wanted for singing! 

Edited by ALD323

22 hours ago, ALD323 said:

I think a Hummingbird should "Hum." That was why I bought it, and I love it better every day! Good luck on harnessing your trebles..it really can be done...

You are right - hummm. . .

My Birds are a half step down and love old strings. That's where I get my quintessential Bird voice. But people are different - and hurreeyy for that. 

Glad you like yours just wait till the bass opens. . 

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

A question to people who play half a step down: do you play with other people like that?

Positive - I attend some acoustic kitchen-jams frequently.  We shift between the 2 from session to session.  Sometimes even when there's bass involved. If harp-players appear they get thrown out, , , , , , noooo, of course not, good Burst - then we steer after them. 

I personally never tune up - rather further down then capo. 

4 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

I personally never tune up - rather further down then capo. 

That makes sense. . . then maybe the fret position markers can make some sense- for those playing along. Hard to tune down a mandolin, or a harp ; )  .

'Do occasionally enjoy getting that tuned down rattle that can be had with the de-tune thing, though a guitar with a super-low action (and a perfectly set action and even frets) can get close to a similar effect. EDIT: That is, the rattle effect the sunglassed and fluffy scarfed fellow in the Alice in __ video was getting from playing intensity.

Edited by 62burst

• 4 weeks later...

I am the proud owner of a 2006 Hummingbird Limited Edition Honeyburst...  I was told 80 were made.  I worked for a Gibson Dealer at the time in sales - saw this at a trade show, played it, fell in love with it and the owner of the store ordered it.  This would have been in October...  I admired it and played it pretty much everyday - couldn't afford it at the time... the owner of the store gave me a lovely Christmas bonus that year in the form of a store credit - and gave me the balance of the guitar as a Christmas present...  I have not played once since that I have loved as much as this one...  I have gigged with it for all those years and still do a solo acoustic gig once per month.  I have written and recorded many songs on this and love it more than any piece of wood I have ever encountered...  very special to me!   Check out http://www.peeler.ca/  Anything with an acoustic guitar on it was recorded with this! 

IMG_1577.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Thanks EM - My first real good Guitar was a Gibson Gospel.  But before that I played a Fender F-15 1971.  Got the Acoustic Bug early in the nineties.    I have owned Many Martin's - a Bunch of signatures - From a D-28, Clapton model, 000 etc. Was on the Taylor wagon when they first came out mainly a Ovankol 414 - sweet guitar - Don't care for all the cutaways of recent.  Had a bunch of US Guild's Great Guitars a bit over built for me.   Had a Bourgeois Guitar 000 - Very Expensive and it was ehh...  And a Gaggle of others that I won't bore you with.

I live driving distance from the Martin Factory - I will always love a good Martin Guitar - But this bird just spoke to me when I first played it. - As a young man in a Music store the Gibson always stood out to me - Colorful with Great Pickguards - The Martin's kinda all looked a like. Thanks Ken

Edited by Gasman

I have two 'Birds.

1.  2011 - Custom Koa

2.  2010 - 12-String

The Koa I bought brand-new in 2011.... after 10 years it's coming into it's own.

The 12-String I bought from fellow Forum Member Leslie,  a few years ago.

I love them both.   Still wish I had a standard Hummingbird....but I simply have no space for another guitar.

Looking through my photos, I realize I don't have any photos of the back of the Koa, (which is beautiful).

I'll take some next time I bring it out.

May be an image of guitar and indoor

May be an image of guitar and indoor

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Thanks EM - My first real good Guitar was a Gibson Gospel.  But before that I played a Fender F-15 1971.  Got the Acoustic Bug early in the nineties.    I have owned Many Martin's - a Bunch of signatures - From a D-28, Clapton model, 000 etc. Was on the Taylor wagon when they first came out mainly a Ovankol 414 - sweet guitar - Don't care for all the cutaways of recent.  Had a bunch of US Guild's Great Guitars a bit over built for me.   Had a Bourgeois Guitar 000 - Very Expensive and it was ehh...  And a Gaggle of others that I won't bore you with.

I live driving distance from the Martin Factory - I will always love a good Martin Guitar - But this bird just spoke to me when I first played it. - As a young man in a Music store the Gibson always stood out to me - Colorful with Great Pickguards - The Martin's kinda all looked a like. Thanks Ken

Alrighty - in that company your words really get weight. I'm sure you found an outstanding ex.                                                                                            As Salfromchatham said the other day, Birds are mysterious guitars. He knows what he talks about, , , and I'm behind him too.

I play either a vintage or a 2012 almost daily - even though I actually believe there are several 'better' guitars here. 

Seems you joined the unplugged wave back then. Who can blame you. . 

Keep winging

Just now, E-minor7 said:

Beautifulllll as always. That back has personality - and the nut-width seems wider than normal (probably ain't, but have you checked).

I have not checked. But I will tell you everything on this guitar just feels right, it is an amazing experience playing it.

• Like 1