Gibson Brands Forums

Official HUMMINGBIRD owners thread!

BirdMan81

I thought is might be fun to start an OFFICIAL HUMMINGBIRD OWNERS thread.....are you the proud owner of a vintage 1960s Hummingbird? How about a Modern Classic or True Vintage? Maybe you own a Torrified Vintage Hummingbird or something on the more rare side like a KOA or CUSTUM Bird? Anyways, if this type of thread already exists please have a MOD delete this one. Id love to see a similar thread for the j45 and j200! If you feel like sharing, this is the place for all things HUMMINGBIRD. Please posts a few pictures, share how long you have had your Bird, what you use it for, do you like it? LOVE it? Perhaps a sound or video sample? Also if you have made any changes/upgrades and what you are using for pins and strings. Sound like fun?

I start us off. This is my 2016 Hummingbird Vintage with Elixer Nano Web Medium PB strings and Bob Colossi Bone pins and Strap button. You all have seen some sound demos so ill skip that for now...maybe I'll add a few more once this thread gets cooking. I picked her up around the end of March this year...so far Im in love. I recently had her setup and she plays like a dream...the only thing about the nice and low action is that i have to have a softer attack when picking individual strings....but that ok because this guitar is not know for its loudness/volume, and I play for fun (solo) and not out a gigs, so playability and tone are more important than loudness.....there may still be a Martin HD28v in my future? :)

Anyway, most of you board regulars know the long saga of how I acquired this guitar and are all sick of the details....but for those of you who don't:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/128565-2016-hummingbird-vintage/page__st__160__p__1752487__hl__hummingbird+vintage__fromsearch__1#entry1752487

I'm looking forward to hearing from you fellow Ornithologist!! (Especially the ones who have been silently lurking)

image_76.jpeg

image_63.jpeg

image_61.jpeg

image_65.jpeg

image_75.jpeg

Ill play ... Ive got two, 69' er which was orignally country western, i made it into a Bird, and a True Vintage.

The 69 version has bone pins and saddle, and is long scale, more of a fundamental tone, maybe more like a vintage D-18 then Hummingbird. A bit more thicker braced which you can hear, but still has that dry, fundamental grumpy vintage tone.

The True Vintage is all honey and nectar. Has plastic pins as i found bone pins took the honey tone out, surprisingly.

PB's 12 on both.

Pic Together.

IMG_4080.jpg

Here's a couple vids.

1969 version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zoln_xjONk

True Vintage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp4AFrvfswE

'65 natural top Hummingbird, still retains the adjustable bridge (wood and ceramic), strung with Martin PB lights, plain brass pins, 'bird and flora not worn off at all, gold hardware - including adjustment screws, flatpicks loud and bright, fingerpicks clear and sweet, rescued from pawn shop attic in 1972, good neck with wide board, best of four I've owned (three from '60s - one early '70s), provides good vocal accompanyment and sounds good solo, shows a bit of love and play, lives in era-appropriate Gibson hardshell.... Pictures subject to daughter's availability to photograph and upload.

Good idea - different models have been individually celebrated over time and why not. I remember setting one up for the J-200.

But the Hummingbird, yes, of course.

Though the F-bird have been under zoom for a better set-up that last few days, I still enjoy the TV's almost daily.

The grand A/B/C/D is now down to 2 and I'm still not sure where it ends - the loose, sweety or the tighter, louder not so dripping #2. Both excellent.

I could speak a lot about Birds - and have done - but will boil it down. What I find so fascinating about the H-Bird, is the over all clarity and auditory access to every single note no matter what you do to the instrument. Add to that that treasured honey glaze around an almost primal core, which in its own way is even simpler than the 45's. That combination is unique.

The Hummingbird - a very intriguing, funky and ever alluring guitar indeed.

2012 ~ BirdonFire-.jpg

It just so happens I bought a new Heritage Cherry Sunburst Hummingbird (2015) a few days ago and oh my, what a beauty. Here's the excited review I fired onto Amazon later that day with a pic of my new baby :)

"It's new guitar day here in sunny Glasgow - an apt aberration in the oft wet, wet, wet city of the west as my brand new heritage cherry sunburst Hummingbird shines as warm and tender as the morning dew of golden midsummer - and oh my, what a beauty she is to hold, behold and play. She's by far and away the loveliest looking guitar I've ever owned and probably the best acoustic guitar I've ever played barring one which trumps her for pure playability: although my Taylor Big Baby doesn't have the same sweet as honey-tone of the Hummingbird, she's been professionally setup by Jimmy Moon, my local luthier, and plays like a dream. So as far as playability is concerned, my Big Baby is just that bit better. I plan on taking my new baby to Jimmy in the next couple of weeks however - whenever I can find the strength and courage to be parted from her - and no doubt when she returns, she'll be the hands-down, all-round winner.

I'm pleased to say there are no quality control issues to report; the guitar arrived in absolutely pristine condition, and with a small whiff of glue emanating from her sound hole, too, even though her date of birth seems to be sometime in April 2015. What's more, the hard case, finished in black and unobtrusively adorned with the Gibson insignia in gold-coloured lettering on the top and lined with soft padding on the inside, arrived in similarly superb condition, along with a spare set of strings, plectrum, leather keyring and product registration info. Top drawer all round. The only slight issue I suppose is the playability isn't where I want it to be as the action is higher than I'm used to; it's not high like you might find with a £10 guitar made in China, but it feels high compared to the low action on my Big Baby. As I said earlier though, Jimmy will sort that when I take her in for a setup.

My desert island guitar is my classical by La Patrie - a modestly priced, but perfect for me guitar - and I'm immeasurably fond of my Big Baby, too, which in my mind at least, plays and sounds like a guitar costing much more than she did. But I think my new Hummingbird, who henceforth, shall be known as Mrs Jones, will sing for me forever and a day. Oh baby, me and Mrs Jones"

Fwiw, I dropped her off at Jimmy's yesterday because the sooner he sets her up, the sooner I can play her to our potential.

Derek

IMG_0027_zpsxykjtlp6.jpg

It just so happens I bought a new Heritage Cherry Sunburst Hummingbird (2015) a few days ago and oh my, what a beauty.

Hep and congratulations on the new babe. One gets in a terrific mood from reading your welcome review ^ what a joy. And I believe more than a few here recognizes the high.

Sure hope she comes back even dreamier than when she left. You 2 will be in symbioses soon. And look at that picture - fluorescent.

Treat us a bit of sound whenever you feel like, please. .

And hep again, windhoek

I really like the sound of a Hummingbird but, strangely for me, the pickguard puts me off getting one. Normally, I don't care what a guitar looks like yet on this occasion, I don't want to pull the trigger and buy one for that very reason.

I really like the sound of a Hummingbird but, strangely for me, the pickguard puts me off getting one. Normally, I don't care what a guitar looks like yet on this occasion, I don't want to pull the trigger and buy one for that very reason.

I had it like that some 6-7-8 years ago, but have come to really love the flora/fauna. In fact especially when it's a bit worn'n'faded.

Others feel the same way. A former member here even decided to scratch the whole thing off, , , and did.

Btw. just bought a neutral tortoise Bird/SJ/CW-guard the other day - they are pretty rare. Look forward to seeing it live.

But S-Ghost - give it time, , , the garden might grow on you ;-)

, , , and did you know they say the artist was named Hartford Snyder. .

I had it like that some 6-7-8 years ago, but have come to really love the flora/fauna. In fact especially when it's a bit worn'n'faded.

Others feel the same way. A former member here even decided to scratch the whole thing off, , , and did.

Btw. just bought a neutral tortoise Bird/SJ/CW-guard the other day - they are pretty rare. Look forward to seeing it live.

But S-Ghost - give it time, , , the garden might grow on you ;-)

, , , and did you know they say the artist was named Hartford Snyder. .

I'll never discount the possibility about getting a Hummingbird. Currently, it's only the pickguard which deters me - and I will never change a pickguard as my feelings are doing so detracts from the original intention and design of a guitar. A bit of bling around the rosette, the neck and headstock is fine by me and I can cope with it but pickguards.......a sharp intake of breath. However, my opinion may change.

Ok I know this is for Hummingbird owners,but I am looking at one on eBay. If any of you would take a look at this one,in my opinion the price is right so far ,but the guitar looks a little beat up.Need a knowledgeable eye to give opinion,so this seemed like the right place to come .

Link to ebay ::::http://ebay.to/1Uj1A9j

Ok I know this is for Hummingbird owners,but I am looking at one on eBay. If any of you would take a look at this one,in my opinion the price is right so far ,but the guitar looks a little beat up.Need a knowledgeable eye to give opinion,so this seemed like the right place to come .

Don't sweat it, pappy, you're welcome here if you like birds.

The bridge and saddle look pretty messed up; looks like it might have been removed and replaced. But, then, compare it with this one (1963) which is for sale for $5500 more and you'll see the same crack:

GIA0696_Bodft.jpg

Guitar dater project lists the date of your guitar:

1. This result is a match only if the serial number is impressed on headstock and stamped on headstock Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, MI, USA

in 1964

Production Number: 163765

A rough bird, but the price reflects it.

I'd buy it simply because the shipping is only $2.64 and you'll be getting a steal to have it shipped USPS First Class for only $2.64. (It'll probably look like kindling when you get it, but, hey, the shipping was a bargain.)

The guitar has been through existence the last 50 + years, but all in all seems to be OK.

The original hollow plastic bridge is obviously cracked and the (bone?) saddle isn't original (don't know if screws nuts and washers are intact is the case-box).

The tuners look right, but could have been replaced at some point. The truss-rod cover is probably brought in later (doesn't really matter).

A serious and authentic old flier - we might end in competion, , , then again no - this will rise above my budget in 5 days time, wait and see. I'll follow from the wing.

Ouh, , , of course we notice the flat top back braces. 1964 was the year those changed to knife-edge shaped ditto. Again nothing to worry about, apart from the fact it (like the bridge) points back, not forward in Bird-historic time.

Chumming the water eh Pappy? :-) Anyone care to guess the final bid? I'll go first, $2850. A better case and condition would have taken it past the three.

Chumming the water eh Pappy? :-) Anyone care to guess the final bid? I'll go first, $2850. A better case and condition would have taken it past the three.

It will be interesting to see where this one ends up,I have set my limit and waiting for the last hour. Using a bid snipe and we will see what the final ends up.More than likely this one is going to go beyond what I am willing to spend. But that is yet to be determined. Last few minutes of bidding should be interesting. I was contracted by eBay in their early years and would teach car dealerships how to set up eBay and some of the pitfalls to watch out for . It was a great gig,but I grew tired of the constant travel and ended up leaving after a few years. I am still in contact with a few of the folks that have left eBay motors,and we commiserate about the good old days.

On several occasions I was invited to attend round tables with the former CEO of eBay,Meg Whitman,and let me tell you she was all business,no nonsense,take no prisoners.Despite all her success a very down to earth person.But I babble,as to the guitar,it is what it is.[sneaky]

I've had my Hummingbird for just about a year now. The clarity is really unique in a square shouldered dred. Mine is maple so that might account for some of it?

Incredible back on that maple Bird. Please repost in about 30 years time, , , it'll be even more mesmerizing by then.

Then look at EA'as squares. And notice the necks. They don't end the same place. As I recall it, the old 69 CW (now blonde Bird) has the longer scale, but it isn't that, is it.

From the guards, it simply seems the CW has the hole closer to bridge. Some H-birds from the pre-68 era has #1 while my 64 has the other. Mmmm, , , guess it flik-flaks through time.

@BirdMan - Seeing your Epi on the wall brings up a Q here. How do you split the playing-time between the 2 - what percentage E/G has proven to be reality ? - just curious. .

Em

That's a great question! I play both everyday...but the split is 60-70% Gibson and 40-30% Epi. If I'm going to play for more than just 5 minutes I play the Gibson....but if it's quickly in the the morning before work, or just walking by my wall and the mood to play a lick or two strikes me, I grab the Epi. The Epi gets a lot of action from my 1 year old son. I let him beat the hell out of it...he loves playing it, slapping it, drooling on it, plucking the strings! Today I taught him how to use the pick....I lay the guitar flat on the floor and he sits next to it and strums...he's gonna be a better player then me!

But if I know I have more then 5 minutes or so to play, I always grab the Gibson...it's funny because I first I was used to the nut width of the Epi after playing it during my ACL surgery recovery...and when my second Gibson Hummingbird came back from Don Ruffato it took me a while to get used to the wider nut...now it has reversed and I'm used to the Gibson nut width and the Epi feels cramped...

All in all I'm glad I bought both!

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Eric-Church-Hummingbird-Dark.aspx

I hadn't seen this before - Eric Church Signature H'Bird.

Reminiscent of the J45s with the Cobra Burst.

But, to my eyes, at least the one on the website here - the burst is better. Maybe more 'mojo'.

I would be interested in seeing the black MOP inlays in person, but that pick guard is really outstanding.

And, the slightly slimmer body would make one of the most comfortable holding/playing guitars even more so.

I thought I was immune to gas until this.

Fortunately, I can keep repeating the mantra my wife taught me: "You can only play one guitar at a time."

http://www.gibson.co...gbird-Dark.aspx

I hadn't seen this before - Eric Church Signature H'Bird.

Fortunately, I can keep repeating the mantra my wife taught me: "You can only play one guitar at a time."

Ha hehi, , , then again - what do wives know ;-)

Ouh, the dark Bird. It has us blabbing about a month ago. We were quite excited.

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/130277-hummingbird-dark/

WOW! I actually saw that thread and forgot I saw it.

More frightening:

I said I didn't like it just a month ago - and now I do.

"I voted against it, before I voted for it."

I feel like a politician.

I think I'll go take a shower.

(Or maybe it's an acquired taste?!)

Nope - I'm just forgetfully fickle more likely.