Gibson Brands Forums

Hang Me, Oh Hang Me (cover)

Avery

Hey there guys,

Thought I'd add one to this song-filled Wednesday.

This one's an old tune Dave Van Ronk used to sing; but I heard this one in the movie "Inside Llewyn Davis".

Vocal might be a little off...I sang this one in the morning and my voice takes forever to open up, much longer than my guitar does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0k3VWrz4qU

yep!

I like it Avery, nice job.

never heard that one before....

Voice sounded fine to me as it usually does. know what you're saying tho.. feeling it a lot more afternoon than I am in the morning with the voice..

Avery, I have never seen the movie, or heard the song; I have nothing to compare it to.

But I'll say this is my sweet spot as a listener, and your playing and voice were spot on. The J15 jangles and mosies along, and this piece you did is just awesome from where I sit. Nice flipping job.

Jalex, thanks, man, and I know we both appreciate these J-15s.

Kidblast and Keith, thanks for the really kind words.

jdd, Thanks, and I'd like to hear you give it a crack too, I'm sure you do it great.

Sal, thanks for those nice words, and if you have time, just rent it on Amazon or something. Even without Oscar Isaac's great singing and the vintage Gibsons, you'll get to see Carey Mulligan sing a little. It's worth watching the movie just for that, right?

Cowboy, man, that's so cool, what was that like, learning it from Dave Van Ronk himself? Wow.

I've been practicing this one myself , damn G# part is hard to get through fluidly

Great job avery.

You were in danger of that sofa stealing the spotlight

And yes sal , the ou is right . Watch the movie . And then watch the concert 'another time another place '

Yes, 'sweet spot' is a good way to describe it. You hit the sweet spot there Avery, thought this was your best effort yet. The vocals sound full, rich and the J-15 sound real fab. The sofa rocks.

Did you use the same mike / camera as before as the quality of the recording sounds significantly richer than before, or maybe you were just closer to the unit ?

Grunt, EA, and Bayou, thanks a lot.

EA, I think the room might've made a difference as far as the sound of the recording. Just less cramped, and with a higher ceiling, I don't know. I just an my iphone with a Zoom IQ6 mic attachment. For this one and for "You Can Close Your Eyes" I used my new iphone 6s as opposed to a 5c. The camera might be a little better.

Grunt, yeah, that G# bar chord is really rough for me too. I can tell that Oscar Isaac plays that part of the song without those bar chords, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what he's doing instead.

I just have this one a try myself. I do most bar chords with a contorted thumb wrap. :).

Thanks for introducing me to the song Avery. I'm playing it now in a set on July 24th for a benefit for an ailing local musician.

That's great, man, I'm happy you're playing it. I'm sure it'll sound great.

Avery, that was superb. I have seen the movie and remember this song. You do it very, very well. Your voice is a perfect fit. If I was to make one suggestion, it would be to somehow record so there is more voice and less guitar coming through. Nothing wrong with your playing, absolutely not, but I think your voice deserves to be heard.

Great job!

Lars

Archived