Gibson Brands Forums

First Guitar

ilovegibsons

What was your first guitar?

Mine is the one I have now, my trusty ESP. Its a good beginner axe, but (partly due to fret wear and partly due to my playing standard) it has been rendered obsolete, as it is currently worth less than the cost of fixing it would be. I like it, but it's not worth keeping. It's my stepping stone to a Gibson.

Anyone have any stories?

My first was a Dixion?

My second................... Was my 1961 Melody Maker double cut with 2 single coils. I got it in 1969 in Clearwater Beach Fla. Played it live at the Surfside at age 12, in 1970. Moved to Arizona and gigged it throughout the 70's, gigging bars at age 17, and drinking beer. Zero law in Apache Jct. back then. Stipped the red worn out paint off around 1980 and was working in a body shop, had the 1 PIECE MAHOGANY body clear coated with automotive poly. Very deep. Beautiful piece of wood.

Gave it to my oldest son around 1992 in Louisiana when he was 16. It went to South Carolina, back to Louisiana, back to Arizona, then Dec '07 he brought it back to me here in Illinois. He decided it belongs here. He wants (and will get) my '79 SG that was used on the DOUBLE AUGHT cd (cdbaby.com) back in '99 in trade. But he's on the road a lot so I actually have both at this time.

It's got a Leo Quan from God know when, '70s, and the fretboard is pretty much scalloped. I't been a very well loved guitar, and in my family for 39/40 years.

Murph.

A Yamaha acoustic. I really wanted an electric but I was fortunate enough that my parents (both musicians themselves) bought me that Yamaha. I bought a cheap microphone from Radio Shack which I would drop in the sound hole of the guitar, plug it into the tape deck of my Fisher stereo then crank the recording levels all the way up with a tape set to record but on pause so the tape deck would distort which somewhat sounded like an electric guitar through the stereo. I destroyed the cones on the speakers that way.

After I showed that I was serious about guitar, they then sprung for a D'Aggostino solidbody electric and and Fender Deluxe II amp a few years later. After that, I was on my own.

While searching Google just now for some info, I found this post on Usenet that made about it a couple of years ago:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.guitar/browse_thread/thread/90c444b312f486cd

Unfortunately, I still haven't done anything about fixing it up. "One of these days..."

Some little Gremlin brand smallbody Strat style that I ended up customizing the hell out of was my first, then I worked at the local fish-camp bussing tables and in a few months saved up enough to get my first SG, which was a Ferrari Red Epi G-310. That's when I sold my soul to Rock-n-Roll.

H-Bomb

My first was a "cheapo" pawn shop acoustic, that led to a Fender (made in Japan) Strat with a kahler trem (floyd rose type of trem) that I never understood and then I got my first les paul, a wine red studio with gold hardware. I was so happy, but I didn't stop there...

YO! Nice collection Homz. I'm just tickeled to see such fine insturments still in the hands of people who still play them in this forum . I like your Blue Phyco guitar. Was that bought Stock that way?

That's a Ernie Ball cheap knock off of a Music Man design. I gave that guitar to my son when I got my LP Standard it then had fake quilted maple top. My son was asked by our bass player if he wanted it painted. Our bassist is an artist. My son picked the design. It is a Kraken (mythical sea moster).

Archived