Gibson Brands Forums

Any info on Martin Jeff tweedy model

blindboygrunt

Just wondering if anyone had one , they're terrifically expensive . But I'm drawn to them a little .

Just wondering what thoughts were ?

Sorry , I know it's a Gibson forum , but Gibsons have my heart in their tone and I'd trust a Gibson lovers thoughts on the sound of a guitar of another brand than reading the UMGF members thoughts as I don't know anyone there and there's a lot of fanboys (that's the word isn't it ?)

I happen to like Martins as well, not as much as Gibby's but still like them. I have tried out the Tweedy more than once I love the Sound, Look and playability with only one exception. I do not like the Richlite fretboard, they just seem to feel a little sticky to me ..if not for that I would more than likely buy one.

Just wondering if anyone had one , they're terrifically expensive . But I'm drawn to them a little .

Sorry , I know it's a Gibson forum , but Gibsons have my heart in their tone and I'd trust a Gibson lovers thoughts on the sound of a guitar of another brand than reading the UMGF members thoughts as I don't know anyone there and there's a lot of fanboys (that's the word isn't it ?)

I own one and love it. I know the Richlite is a deal breaker for some but it doesn't affect me at all. I wanted a small body all mahogany guitar but I still wanted some low end, so the Deep Body sounds really good to me. It works a little better while finger picking for me, but I can still make it sound nice while strumming if I don't drive it too hard (if I remember correctly you mostly finger pick?).

It's a bit of a niche guitar, but a nice niche to occupy. [biggrin]

FWIW I bought a new old stock model off reverb.com for $1750 (I was surprised the shop accepted that bid!). I know it's a different story on your side of the pond!

I dont have super recollection of playing one in Oz but i do recall it didnt float my boat much i put it down pretty quickly.

I do however still remember a 0-17 from 1956 in the same store thsi i i thought was just delicious, also all mahogany.

Then again im not a fan of new Martins, they tend to sound somewhat stiff and a bit clumsy to me, need at least 15 years of getting beaten up before they come alive and wholesome.

As a Martin fanboy, I can say I've tried a couple of those Tweedys, and I don't even know who he is. Nice, really round, really bottom-y, such that if I hit it with a pick too hard it would tend to get too boomy, to the point of breaking. For delicately arpegiatting my way through James Taylors greatest hits it would add some superb girth to what are otherwise fairly mid-y, tender, gentle sounding arrangements. I don't do that, so one of them wouldn't really work for me, I'm usually hitting them pretty hard with a pick, with a drummer and bass player to keep up with. It would turn to mud on me.

I think in the right hands of a really good fingerpicker, really good string jumper, really good at thumbing one part and getting the rest right, all the stuff I fail spectacularly at, they would be a great little guitar.

Martin, Gibson even, can put dried crap on the fingerboard, if they make them as well as we all know they can, I don't care what that material is, it'll make even me sound good.

rct

As a Martin fanboy, I can say I've tried a couple of those Tweedys, and I don't even know who he is. Nice, really round, really bottom-y, such that if I hit it with a pick too hard it would tend to get too boomy, to the point of breaking. For delicately arpegiatting my way through James Taylors greatest hits it would add some superb girth to what are otherwise fairly mid-y, tender, gentle sounding arrangements. I don't do that, so one of them wouldn't really work for me, I'm usually hitting them pretty hard with a pick, with a drummer and bass player to keep up with. It would turn to mud on me.

I think in the right hands of a really good fingerpicker, really good string jumper, really good at thumbing one part and getting the rest right, all the stuff I fail spectacularly at, they would be a great little guitar.

Martin, Gibson even, can put dried crap on the fingerboard, if they make them as well as we all know they can, I don't care what that material is, it'll make even me sound good.

rct

I was not aware of who he is until I saw this guitar so I looked him up and discovered he was with and still is I believe the band Wilco. I am not familiar with them either but I had heard of them.

I owned one. It's a wonderfully warm guitar, and honestly the only reason I sold it was because I couldn't quite get used to the long scale length. The neck has a great chunky pronounced v-profile I remember, which I enjoyed. The rich lite fingerboard was totally fine to me, didn't mind that at all. I also liked the deeper tone of the deeper body. I think in the end it was just always slightly fatiguing to play for some reason, maybe because I'm spoiled by the short scale Gibson's :) That's a very personal thing, of course. I do applaud Martin and Tweedy for making it an all FSC certified woods guitar (though not a fan of the giant plastic hard case it comes in).

Fwiw, Ive owned a Martin CEO-7 in its place for a couple years now - it's a keeper.

It's a tad depressing that guitar players don't feel any need to check out the music of the people who their guitars are named after. It's fine if you don't care for it, of course, but to be fine with never having checked out the music after all is something I'd expect from the general public. If musicians can't be bothered to check out one another's work then how can we ever expect anyone to take the time to listen to our little demos?

Listening to the same old music over and over is a surefire path to mediocrity. Imagine if Paul McCartney hadn't kept his ears open. Or Hendrix. Or Elvis Costello (I had an old hippie refer to him RECENTLY as a 'punk rocker,' which told me more about the person than much else he did say about Bob Dylan). Or Radiohead. Or Nick Cave. Or countless lesser-knowns who will never be better-known because no one listens to new music anymore...

I'm sure most of us heard of Robert Johnson through either Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones or the rock and blues press, depending on your ages. They sure weren't playing him on the radio (though I called WFMU back when it was in East Orange, NJ--long before the internet--and they played me 10 songs in a row that sent me looking further). But we were curious. Why do people let that curiosity die? Why is there a sense of perverse pride to say you've never bothered to check someone out?

If we could figure out why people have such an aversion to checking out new music, we might figure out a way to overcome it and see talented musicians be rewarded above the stuff we all claim to dislike in pop music.

I know what you're saying smurf , there does come a time when basically new , or maybe a particular new wave of music kicks off and some just don't get it , myself included in that to some extent

I'm always amazed at folk I have played with and they've heard of no one in the past ten years or so ... I'm not talking about some obscure left field artist with a niche market , but a band like wilco would be a good example .

I check out everything ever Friday and see what's out , what people are talking about etc , genuinely interested in what's happening , I don't always rush out and buy their album , but I'll give t a go .

Musicians seem to be the worst when it comes to sticking with a genre and never changing . A guitarist I played with basically hadn't heard of anyone past 1978 , unless an artist from then was still making music and even then it kinda trailed off .. Yeah elvis Costello still a punk rocker ....You'd think it would be opposite , but it's not . Playing of course influences what will turn you on and move you because it's impossible not to imagine learning a song . But it's not good to put blinkers on

Stop saying there's nothing good on the radio , there is , just not on the top channels. Move the dial . There's superb music being made all the time but the large supermarkets don't stock it , the commercial stations don't play it and we never get to hear them . Because we are bombarded with so much music from all angles compared to years ago I think it's hard to imagine that that's basically all is going on in the world ..

But after all that , if Neil young a got a new album or Dylan , I'll go straight to it . So I do have a genre that touches me and always will

Cheers everyone for the input regarding the tweedy guitar . Concerns us is good .. For the most part anyway .

Would mean getting rid of the hd35

Still not sure if I would take that gamble ...

And the V neck scares me , I know it's modified V and not some scary thing , but I'd need to play one , and so far there's none in this country ..:

GAS maybe

I have the earlier Martin CEO7, which came after the JT, basically a 00 model except it has"Golden Era' type features and ebony board and a host of other delights at a good price that had the world humming about them and the JT at a higher cost was forgotten.....

But now they have the new 17 series, which I think are budget versions of the CEO7, and I played one the other week and it would be mine if I had room!

BluesKing777.

BBG, you should definitely try to find a Martin somewhere that sports the Mod V neck and give it a spin before buying. Of all the martin neck carves, it's the one I like least. I sold a beautiful OM 28 Marquis Madagascar because of the neck shape. I prefer a 1 3/4" nut width and that, for me, does not work well with the V shape which is very pronounced. My go to shape with Martin is the low oval but it's tricky finding that shape with the width I like on a regular production model. The 3 modern Martins I have are all Custom Shop as that's as the only way to get the combination I wanted.

It's a tad depressing that guitar players don't feel any need to check out the music of the people who their guitars are named after. It's fine if you don't care for it, of course, but to be fine with never having checked out the music after all is something I'd expect from the general public. If musicians can't be bothered to check out one another's work then how can we ever expect anyone to take the time to listen to our little demos?

Listening to the same old music over and over is a surefire path to mediocrity. Imagine if Paul McCartney hadn't kept his ears open. Or Hendrix. Or Elvis Costello (I had an old hippie refer to him RECENTLY as a 'punk rocker,' which told me more about the person than much else he did say about Bob Dylan). Or Radiohead. Or Nick Cave. Or countless lesser-knowns who will never be better-known because no one listens to new music anymore...

I'm sure most of us heard of Robert Johnson through either Eric Clapton, the Rolling Stones or the rock and blues press, depending on your ages. They sure weren't playing him on the radio (though I called WFMU back when it was in East Orange, NJ--long before the internet--and they played me 10 songs in a row that sent me looking further). But we were curious. Why do people let that curiosity die? Why is there a sense of perverse pride to say you've never bothered to check someone out?

If we could figure out why people have such an aversion to checking out new music, we might figure out a way to overcome it and see talented musicians be rewarded above the stuff we all claim to dislike in pop music.

Jesus dude, you came up with all of that from "As a Martin fanboy, I can say I've tried a couple of those Tweedys, and I don't even know who he is."???

Holy crap try some decaf and try to stop trying to diagnose other peoples aversions, you might live longer and be happier.

rct

Jesus dude, you came up with all of that from "As a Martin fanboy, I can say I've tried a couple of those Tweedys, and I don't even know who he is."???

Holy crap try some decaf and try to stop trying to diagnose other peoples aversions, you might live longer and be happier.

rct

😂

No worries, I was actually half-asleep when I wrote my little observation rant. It's not about you but about a highly prevalent attitude I see among working musicians. So little interest in anyone else's music then they wonder where their audience is.

BBG, I agree that there is great music out there currently, but where I live the radio is largely limited to megastations owned by Clear Channel. There are a couple of local ones but they largely play old hippie music or adult folk in the WFUV range. (NYC area people will get the reference, while others will need to imagine a place where Richard Shindell, Martin Sexton, Dar Williams and other adult-contemporary folk people are played regularly). Trying to find a station like WFMU (found on the internet these days!) where all matters of old and new music are played without settling into a 'genre' is a near impossibility. There was only one WFMU back when I lived in NJ.

I enjoy riffing on ideas. Sorry if anyone took offense. Things are cranky in the US right now, code Orange in ways never thought imaginable.

After all that, I'm likely to buy the new Van Morrison over so much else. Sadly, Neil Young lost me somewhere in the '90s.

No worries, I was actually half-asleep when I wrote my little observation rant. It's not about you but about a highly prevalent attitude I see among working musicians. So little interest in anyone else's music then they wonder where their audience is.

No worries here either.

I think the ones trying to make a living at it are humping it so hard they just don't have the time or the wherewithal or energy to develop any enthusiasm for anyone elses stuff. It's so dang competitive and so hard to get into the ever shrinking number of venues regularly enough to even make a decent living I'm not surprised that anyone just can't keep up.

And keeping up invariably today means killing a bunch of time on Facebook and stuff, when most are just trying to look after their own digital stuff.

So some of that might be why.

rct

BBG, I agree that there is great music out there currently, but where I live the radio is largely limited to megastations owned by Clear Channel. There are a couple of local ones but they largely play old hippie music or adult folk in the WFUV range. (NYC area people will get the reference, while others will need to imagine a place where Richard Shindell, Martin Sexton, Dar Williams and other adult-contemporary folk people are played regularly). Trying to find a station like WFMU (found on the internet these days!) where all matters of old and new music are played without settling into a 'genre' is a near impossibility. There was only one WFMU back when I lived in NJ.

I enjoy riffing on ideas. Sorry if anyone took offense. Things are cranky in the US right now, code Orange in ways never thought imaginable.

After all that, I'm likely to buy the new Van Morrison over so much else. Sadly, Neil Young lost me somewhere in the '90s.

I actually think this is an astute observation. Because I'm in the concert business I'm exposed to a lot of new bands. Some I quite like and others not so much. That being said, I have contemporaries that think Aqualung is still good dinner music these days. I find a lot of new and interesting stuff using iTunes radio, Amazon music streaming services and the like. I can put an old favorite in a search and that will bring me many suggestions of other things that I might find enjoyable. Music I've never heard of. I've discovered some interesting new acts that way. Bottom line, whether you're a casual listener or in the biz, the music is out there. You just have to look for it a little harder.

I haven't played the JT guitar in question, but I did play an all mahogany Martin 000-15M yesterday which really sparked my interest in hog guitars. Very, very good!

By the way, I'm a big fan of Jeff Tweedy and especially like the albums he did with Jay Farrar when they called themselves Uncle Tupelo. For those who don't know about Jeff Tweedy, you might find it interesting that Uncle Tupelo was the defining band in the early 90’s of what we now call alt-country or americana. So through his music he has been responsible for the renewed interest in roots music. The alt-country genre is also sometimes referred to as No Depression, which was the name of the first Uncle Tupelo album which included their cover of the Carter family song with the same name. No Depression is also, by the way, the name of an excellent magazine /website about this music genre. Jeff Tweedy is also a big guitar nut, so I think he is a good choice for a signature guitar.

Lars

Let's go back a bit...why do you like the particular guitar? Smaller body for comfort/arm/shoulder pain? The all mahogany body?

I was going to give you a link to 2 used ones at Elderly, but 1 must have sold in the last few days:

http://www.elderly.com/instruments/acoustic-guitars/flat-top-acoustic-guitars/martin-00-db-jeff-tweedy-2014.htm

BluesKing777.

I actually think this is an astute observation. Because I'm in the concert business I'm exposed to a lot of new bands. Some I quite like and others not so much. That being said, I have contemporaries that think Aqualung is still good dinner music these days. I find a lot of new and interesting stuff using iTunes radio, Amazon music streaming services and the like. I can put an old favorite in a search and that will bring me many suggestions of other things that I might find enjoyable. Music I've never heard of. I've discovered some interesting new acts that way. Bottom line, whether you're a casual listener or in the biz, the music is out there. You just have to look for it a little harder.

Several good points, JG. I've found reading reviews on iTunes of artists I know and like (ex. Sturgill Simpson, Lindi Ortega, etc.) lead to other artists who are in the same genre and up and coming. Also, comments from folks who've bought the albums sometimes will give a 'referral' to a similar artist - or one who is as great, but maybe a little different. Takes time. And discipline, unless you have a bunch of extra money laying around.

And, the icing on the cake is when you find a new artist who is a few notches removed from your 'comfort zone' - and (s)he does a cover of one of your favorites and gives you a whole, new way of seeing/hearing it.

Archived