Gibson Brands Forums

Screw Pattern

deepblue

If you get onstage with pickups that have - - - - - -, well people will just laugh at you.

If it's / / / that's fine but you have to remember to have it / / / instead if your guitar is chambered instead of weight relieved. It's all ball bearings these days.

Allright... I'm going to feel like a total tool for asking, but what the hell. I'm here to learn BS like this.

Does this really make a difference? Only reason I'm asking is because the screws on my SG were all set to the same height and were really set to no pattern at all. I set them to the / / / pattern for the hell of it, and I could swear it sounds.. different at least. Maybe even better.. but I might be psyching myself out. Lol.

I don't know exactly how pickups work, but I always thought these screws were for adjusting the intensity of each string. But, I suppose there might be something about polarity that requires them to be set to a certain pattern.

I guess I just gotta know if this is leg pulling...

The guy who invented that screw pattern for Gibson (thus creating the magical tone only this pattern can provide), he went to Screw U where he got his degree in Civil Engineering. It took many late night bong/study sessions to come up with that idea. (cough cough).

If you get onstage with pickups that have - - - - - -' date=' well people will just laugh at you.

If it's / / / that's fine but you have to remember to have it / / / instead if your guitar is chambered instead of weight relieved. It's all ball bearings these days.[/quote']

HA! A Fletch quote!!! YES!

I noticed something while looking at pictures of my R9 while it was stripped.

Look at the pickup screws....It looks like Gibson uses a pattern to adjust them.

/ / /

Take a look guys....is yours the same?

pup-1.jpg

If you set them like this |||||| you're tone will fall in the grooves and get lost.

true story.

When I received my First Run Robot, all of the pickup polepiece screws were adjusted horizontally in a - - - - - - pattern...even the stop-bar studs were horizontal, probably to make it look "nice".

I did a little research, and what Axe® says is true...if the screws are lined up in a l l l l l l pattern you lose some tone.

Allow me to quote Gibson electric expert Phil Jones in Dan Erlewine's fine book "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!":

"Gibson set the outside polepieces flush to the pickup cover," Jones says. "When flush with the cover, the screwdriver slots of a typical humbucker are at a 45-degree angle. When you raise the middle polepieces to a 12" (305mm) radius, you end up with an almost perfect zig-zag pattern from side to side. In later years, Gibson started putting anything with a slot - stop-bar studs and polepiece slots - in neat, straight lines going at right angles to the strings, to look good."

Also, from the same book, expert setup man Albert Garcia says:

"I use the same zig-zag radius setup that Phil Jones described. Gibson used to recommend lowering the B-string, but I don't. I set the polepiece radius, then adjust the neck pickup to exactly 1/16" (1.6mm) on both sides, and the bridge pickup the same. Since the screwdriver slot in a polepiece means that metal was removed, zig-zagged polepieces place more metal under each string than a polepiece adjusted with the slot going in line with the strings."

Now you can see where the zig-zag pattern came from. I've seen Gibsons with their polepiece screws adjusted in either zig-zag or horizontal patterns...I guess it comes down to whomever did the final setup in Nashville. <g>

As long as you do what Axe® says and avoid the l l l l l l pattern, you should sound just fine! <g>

Cat Daddy

Archived